Gransnet forums

Chat

Just soooooo cruel!!

(56 Posts)
Kateykrunch Tue 02-Apr-19 14:11:15

We had to pull up for some road works yesterday, but we just felt that this was wholly inappropriate!!!

aggie Tue 02-Apr-19 14:12:40

KateyKrunch grin

Jalima1108 Tue 02-Apr-19 14:17:32

grin

There was an article in the news a couple of years ago about a tourist who was horrified at the thought that the British used cats' eyes on the roads.
The council changed the name to 'reflective road studs' I think.

Grannybags Tue 02-Apr-19 16:02:13

grin

agnurse Tue 02-Apr-19 19:01:18

grin

When I first went to the UK, I was somewhat horrified to see the word "Toilets" posted in public. Here in Canada you just see "washroom", "restroom", or even simply the male/female icons. Not "Toilets" just sitting out there, big as life.

Jalima1108 Tue 02-Apr-19 19:06:40

I call it a lavatory!
or loo

'Toilet' is very Non-U grin

SueDonim Tue 02-Apr-19 19:10:10

American friends of ours were agog at some local road signs warning of 'humps for 100 yards'. grin

I've never understood why Americans baulk at the term toilets. One is not going to rest or wash or bathe in the rooms they so-name.

Grammaretto Tue 02-Apr-19 19:29:22

We call a spade a spade here. Oh wait a mo, in America a spade is something else.
Cat's eyes are a wonderful invention. Percy Shaw from Halifax, Yorkshire was inspired by the reflective eyes of cats. (Thanks Wikipedia)

Jalima1108 Tue 02-Apr-19 19:46:20

We call a spade a spade here
Whereas the Australians call it a bloody shovel

paddyann Tue 02-Apr-19 22:15:26

My favourite is Large Plant Crossing,I'm always disappointed when it doesn't cross in front of me....I live in hope .

Grammaretto Tue 02-Apr-19 22:33:01

grin paddyann

agnurse Tue 02-Apr-19 22:34:40

paddyann

grin

Some common sayings are pretty hysterical when you think about it!

LullyDully Wed 03-Apr-19 08:06:29

I had to warn my American friend not to refer to her ' fanny bag' when she visited.

paddy I have always enjoyed ' large plant crossing'. I have always imagined a triffid.

Badenkate Wed 03-Apr-19 08:47:27

When we lived in the States for a short time many years ago, my eldest son, who was 5 at the time, asked a lady in a shop for a rubber.

eazybee Wed 03-Apr-19 10:15:15

There is a Heavy Plant Crossing warning sign somewhere on the A34, I think, near to a Garden Centre.
I live in hope.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 03-Apr-19 10:20:25

When I was young and daft I thought a 'sleeping policeman' was a long thin piece of road which had been painted to look like just that, you know, navy blue with brass buttons painted, pointy hat etc!

blueskies Wed 03-Apr-19 11:43:29

I always imagine a disabled toilet on crutches

Shirls52000 Wed 03-Apr-19 11:48:40

When I worked I’m operating theatres some years ago as a scrub nurse, one of our surgeons referred to swabs as tampons and sellotape was durex, used to cause us endless merriment ?

Theoddbird Wed 03-Apr-19 11:59:15

Hahahaha

Gizmogranny Wed 03-Apr-19 12:20:20

In South Africa traffic lights are called robots and being young and naive when I saw a sign that said “robots ahead” I expected to see robots, something like out of Lost in Space ? I was quite disappointed that I didn’t see any ? Took a while for the penny to drop! Roundabouts there are called traffic circles.

chrissyh Wed 03-Apr-19 12:22:35

grin

Loobs Wed 03-Apr-19 12:23:49

Whenever my husband sees the sign 'Mud on road' he starts singing 'Tiger Feet'.

Gransooz Wed 03-Apr-19 12:29:06

A few of these have made me smile. I’ve often imagined a large tree walking across the road ?. As for toilets. I remember in railway stations you looked for the ‘ladies room’. I have wondered about the American ‘restrooms’ as most toilets you really wouldn’t want to rest in! Maybe ‘feel better rooms’ as you certainly feel better once you’ve been! ?

PennyQ Wed 03-Apr-19 12:34:06

In China, public loos are called ‘Happy Rooms’

grandtanteJE65 Wed 03-Apr-19 12:36:20

And what about the distances some Highland deer can jump? Deer crossing 500 yards.

In the Glasgow area a lot of children said they needed the bathroom, when they needed to wee. Probably to avoid the on going argument regarding whether to use the word "toilet" or "lavatory". In my family we said we were going to the toilet, lavatory was considered exceeding vulgar, whereas in other families it is apparently the other way round.

Our local minister had a lovely story of the American missionaries visiting his wife and him at an African mission.

The one visitor asked politely where the bathroom was.

The minister's wife failing to realise that the word was used euphemistically, answered, " We don't have one. We use the kitchen sink" Great embarrassment ensued before the young man was directed to the earth closet!