Gransnet forums

Chat

Years of boys now girls

(32 Posts)
SisterAct Wed 03-Apr-19 20:47:31

After 68 years of boys on OH side we had our first GD and now GD number 3 is due early September.

Just wondered if others have similar examples

Alima Wed 03-Apr-19 21:16:49

Congratulations on breaking your duck SisterAct. Seven years ago our first (and only) grandson was born on my brother’s 75th birthday. He was the first boy born in our side of the family in all that time.

BlueSapphire Thu 04-Apr-19 07:54:52

I am the eldest of five, 4 girls and a boy. One by one, my sisters and brother had their families - all girls. Then it was my turn (I was a late starter!) - and gave my mother her first grandson.

gillybob Thu 04-Apr-19 08:00:34

We were a family of girls until I had my son back in 1980. My grandad wanted me to change my son’s name to his “to keep his Scottish line going”. Silly man.

Maggiemaybe Thu 04-Apr-19 08:39:05

Very similar here, SisterAct, but the other way round. 69 years of girls after my dad until my DS was born, and we now have four grandsons, no girls.

Purpledaffodil Thu 04-Apr-19 09:04:34

My grandmother had seven boys consecutively, then four girls! None of her descendants has had so many children and no gender predominates among my cousins and their children. Isn’t genetics fascinating?

KatyK Thu 04-Apr-19 09:56:54

My sister has two boys, my brother has two boys, son-in-law is one of four boys. When our DD was pregnant, everyone assumed she would have a boy. She had a girl smile

Thingmajig Thu 04-Apr-19 10:21:18

My parents grandchildren (6) are all girls. Their first great-grandchild was a boy so the first in the family for 55 years. We had a lovely granddaughter followed by 4 boys. All gorgeous of course! smile

MiniMoon Thu 04-Apr-19 10:23:00

We are a mixed bunch. My mother had three girls, my aunt had three boys, my uncle had two girls and a boy.
I had one of each, my next sister has three boys and my younger sister has two girls.
My daughter has a girl and three boys.

Nanny27 Thu 04-Apr-19 10:32:13

My mum has 13 great grandchildren, the first 10 were girls followed by 3 little boys all born within 3 months of each other.

Neilspurgeon0 Thu 04-Apr-19 10:32:55

My daughter was the first girl after three generations of lads. Be careful, all the grandmothers and maiden aunts did their very best to spoil her and it was hard work keeping her feet on the ground. She now has a son, and a daughter of her own and with my nine grandchildren, 5 boys and 4 girls we seem to have got back into some sort of balance

paddyann Thu 04-Apr-19 10:47:27

My parents had all girls so when our son was born they were over the moon,however he doesn't have his grandpas name ,he was called after his maternal great grandfather.My fathers first name has carried on though as to date there are 11 family and friends who have given their sons it as either a christian name or middle name .Sadly my new gc, expected in the summer , wouldn't have had it even as a middle name if she had been a boy as my sons partner says she HATES that name .

Niucla97 Thu 04-Apr-19 10:49:45

Yes for five generations there were two sons, the elder did not marry until he was in his forties (no children) but the younger had two sons. My husband was the younger son and we had two sons. Our younger son broke the mould by having a daughter then three years later a son.

Came as a bit of a shock as we never even thought that the baby would be a girl.

My husband's brother married in his twenties and had three daughters. Our elder son kept tradition and married in his later forties but has two step daughters.

Nannytopsy Thu 04-Apr-19 10:50:31

My Nan had 5 grandsons then several years later a run of 6 granddaughters. Mum had 6 grandsons and only one granddaughter, my daughter, the youngest of them all.

Funnygran Thu 04-Apr-19 11:24:05

I have two sons and a daughter and now have five grandsons and one granddaughter. I must admit to thinking a bit more female company would be lovely but wouldn’t change the boys for the world - I just wish they came with a volume control when they are all together in my house ?

Lin1959 Thu 04-Apr-19 11:28:19

I grew up in a world of girls, When I was pregnant with my 1st everyone thought I would have a girl, I didn't, my son was the first boy in the family for 55 years, since then there has mostly been boys. I have now got 8 Grandsons and 2 Granddaughters, one of my Granddaughters has 4 brothers smile It is funny how it works out

Milly Thu 04-Apr-19 11:44:32

I was only child, I have two daughters, three granddaughters, and two great granddaughters so still waiting for something else!! I'll

dayvidg Thu 04-Apr-19 12:09:46

My sister was born in 1951; I had three boys - the eldest has two boys, the middle three boys, the youngest none as yet.
67 not out.

GreenGran78 Thu 04-Apr-19 12:18:35

My brother-in-law married into a family with several generations of daughters and no sons. Expecting their first child they automatically bought pink everything.

When the baby was delivered the midwife said, "It's a boy," and was promptly told by its mother, "It can't be!"

grandtanteJE65 Thu 04-Apr-19 13:37:59

Since my sister had two girls forty years ago, there have only been boys in our family, and amongst all our friends, until my cousin's daughter-in-law and son had a baby girl last summer.

Annaram1 Thu 04-Apr-19 13:45:22

My husband's aunt had a boy with her previous husband, but when widowed she married my husband's uncle and they had 7 girls and then gave up. I have heard it could be something to do with the x and y chromosomes in the man's sperm.

chrissyh Thu 04-Apr-19 14:34:06

A friend excitedly posted on facebook that she had a new Grandson - the first boy born in the family for 74 years.

luluaugust Thu 04-Apr-19 14:39:09

One of the other grans in our family has 7 grandsons and 1 granddaughter!

ninathenana Thu 04-Apr-19 16:04:33

SiL's grandfather was one of 4 boys, his dad is one of 3 boys and he is one of two. DD was hoping to buck the trend but had 2 boys.

ninathenana Thu 04-Apr-19 16:07:13

Meant to say DH's mum had 6 sisters. I don't know about the previous generation.