Gransnet forums

Chat

Message for those hoping to upset or shock the Grans

(78 Posts)
Oldwoman70 Mon 08-Apr-19 09:38:24

The school holidays are upon us and no doubt we will get the usual influx of posts attempting to annoy, upset or shock us. I would like to send a message to those thinking of posting along those lines:

Many of us were teenagers in the 60s so there is nothing you can post which we haven't said, heard, seen or done. (In addition we got to see all the cool bands)

All your silly posts do is make us feel sorry you think this is the only way to have fun. Why not go and ask your gran how she had fun when she was your age? On second thoughts perhaps you shouldn't as you may be in for a shock wink

Mycatisahacker Mon 08-Apr-19 09:40:58

Hilarious post but obviously teenagers invented sex! Didn’t they? grin

Gonegirl Mon 08-Apr-19 09:42:56

shock Do you really want a load of naughty kids to reply?!!

Watch this space. grin

Riverwalk Mon 08-Apr-19 09:48:26

Why do school kids get the blame?

I always imagine wind-ups coming from the sad middle-aged/elderly.

Lazigirl Mon 08-Apr-19 09:50:22

Considering some lately I think you are right Riverwalk.

KatyK Mon 08-Apr-19 09:51:54

I'm not sure teenagers have even heard of Gransnet.

Grammaretto Mon 08-Apr-19 09:57:26

Unfortunately we get more passionate about Brexit than sex and rock 'n roll nowadays. Speaking for myself ofcourse. wink

Caledonai14 Mon 08-Apr-19 09:58:05

I thought your post was excellent Oldwoman70, but like others I hadn't imagined teenagers being the culprits. Very good way of expressing the gentle put down, however, and it has inspired me to think of a few others for when the teens around here forget I might have had a life, done most of what they are up to and have a few teeshirts they are never going to see...especially as I can't get into them now!

Gonegirl Mon 08-Apr-19 10:01:37

My 13 year old GS is currently on the sofa sucking his thumb (yes, you heard right. Will give him a poke in a minute) and laughing uproariously at something daft on Youtube. No way would he ever even find Gransnet!

kittylester Mon 08-Apr-19 10:04:26

I didn't even know that sex had been invented in our day. I've missed out!

EllanVannin Mon 08-Apr-19 10:25:36

Just delete the posts and say nothing. What these airheads want is a reply so don't even give them that satisfaction.
You wouldn't reply to anyone in the street if they shouted an insult so do the same here and ignore them.

TerriBull Mon 08-Apr-19 10:35:27

I'm not sure it's school kids either, maybe that's the presumption apropos of the last rude thread, the poster, couldn't differentiate between "of" and "off". Plenty of adults who can't spell. My perception is that teens are way too preoccupied with their own lives and social media to bother with a site as obscure as GN (to them). I think it could be anyone, a foul mouthed octagenarian even grin

Urmstongran Mon 08-Apr-19 10:37:33

It might be teens but more likely bored mummies at home with young children on school holidays! They love pretending to be grannies and hope to wind us up and have a larf. This is why after a few responses, the OP drip feeds even more outrageous information to keep us posting!

Kandinsky Mon 08-Apr-19 10:42:06

I’ve alaays thought the whole ‘it’s the school holidays = troll invasion’ was completely ridiculous.
What 15 year old would waste their time trolling Mumsnet or Gransnet?
I Just don’t buy it.
I’m certain that 99.9% of trolls on here ( & MN ) are well over 21, and a fair few of them are existing members on a NC or PBP. They know how it all works & what winds people up the most.
How many teenagers have even heard of GN?

EllanVannin Mon 08-Apr-19 11:00:54

And don't anyone play the " mental issues " card because that excuse for everything is wearing thin !! Particularly if the aggro' s coming from some old bat because as we all know and realise there are the odd few who are bitter and twisted.

Bellanonna Mon 08-Apr-19 11:11:40

I’ve never thought those threads were started by teenagers. It just wouldn’t be their thing. Much more likely an older, bored, person with not too great a degree of literacy. It could also be a bored mum, doing it for “a laugh” as suggested above. I’m thinking more of the Uggs/uniform/plimsolls type threads which in themselves are fairly innocuous. The very long opening posts describing serious problems are another matter, and quite sinister.

Kandinsky Mon 08-Apr-19 11:17:37

You also get a lot of weird pervy men trolling these sites. ( sadly )

BradfordLass72 Mon 08-Apr-19 11:22:07

But how do you know who it is who's posting?

I take things at face value because it just might be a genuine call for help.

I suppose I'm being naive but I'd rather be seen as a sucker, than uncaring.

crazyH Mon 08-Apr-19 11:23:55

I've got 2 teenage grandchildren and I'm sure they don't know what GN is....

Lily65 Mon 08-Apr-19 11:32:21

NC or PBP.

What are these please?

Kandinsky Mon 08-Apr-19 11:37:23

NC = name change
PBP = previous banned poster.

whywhywhy Mon 08-Apr-19 11:40:41

Thank you for the post. I was a teenager in the 60's and oh boy did I have fun! The mini skirts were the shortest I could possibly wear without being arrested. We saw band that were far above better than anything these days. The parties were great and I personally never touched drugs.Oh yes, I had fun! x

Fennel Mon 08-Apr-19 12:03:48

The 60s were liberating years, after the war and 50s spent recovering.
As others have said, nothing new after the experiences of those years.

Lily65 Mon 08-Apr-19 12:03:58

Oh like somebody comes on pretending to be somebody else, writes something like " My grandson is behaving like a werewolf" and sits back and waits for people to comment?

Nice.

I find it hard to believe teens would find this an attractive time wasting exercise when they can involve themselves in sexting and God's knows what else.

Firecracker123 Mon 08-Apr-19 13:50:28

They must be very sad people if this is all they have to do with their time write wind up posts on GN. How could you be bothered and if they are perverts good grief if winding up a few grannies gives them a thrill I truly feel sorry for them.