Gransnet forums

Chat

Message for those hoping to upset or shock the Grans

(79 Posts)
Oldwoman70 Mon 08-Apr-19 09:38:24

The school holidays are upon us and no doubt we will get the usual influx of posts attempting to annoy, upset or shock us. I would like to send a message to those thinking of posting along those lines:

Many of us were teenagers in the 60s so there is nothing you can post which we haven't said, heard, seen or done. (In addition we got to see all the cool bands)

All your silly posts do is make us feel sorry you think this is the only way to have fun. Why not go and ask your gran how she had fun when she was your age? On second thoughts perhaps you shouldn't as you may be in for a shock wink

Farmor15 Mon 08-Apr-19 14:13:23

I don’t think the ‘wind-up’ posts are from teenagers either. Some are possibly from people who are lonely and make up a ‘problem’ so they can get some interaction here. Others seem to be disturbed people but not teenagers

BlueBelle Mon 08-Apr-19 15:13:42

No not teens I believe they are bored individuals who like winding people up as a hobby and who think we are going to be shocked or more likely get involved in an argument amongst ourselves, bearing in mind the threads are usually around relationship problems or health or (sexual) medical problems or contentious subjects like a year or so back about not letting children go to the toilet in class time smacking kids or subjects that can easily divide like animal treatment etc Their spelling is often quite dubious which may make people think they are youngsters and they are often rambling with a drip feed of information

Of course they may always be threads started by someone who is upset not thinking straight or just poor at spelling and grammar but the fakes are very irritating because they either suck people in giving time and effort to trying to help or they take the spotlight off someone who really does need help

aggie Mon 08-Apr-19 15:18:40

Why are there more in the school holidays then ? Maybe the Teachers !!!!! some of them can't spell either wink

jura2 Mon 08-Apr-19 15:24:59

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Day6 Mon 08-Apr-19 15:32:50

This is why after a few responses, the OP drip feeds even more outrageous information to keep us posting!

grin Yes, that is usually the pattern Urmstongran. grin So predictable!

The trolls bored, mischief makers have little knowledge of the times in which we we brought up. Most of us are fairly unshockable and see a wind-up for what it is.

Ignoring any suspicious looking posts is often the best way to deal with them, but I must admit I am often tempted to go OTT in reply and pretend I am having a fit of the vapours or something. smile

Kandinsky Mon 08-Apr-19 15:33:05

jura2

I’m reporting your post.
You have basically just accused me of being a troll or a PBP ( or both )
This is against talk guidelines.

Day6 Mon 08-Apr-19 15:36:04

the fakes are very irritating because they either suck people in giving time and effort to trying to help or they take the spotlight off someone who really does need help

Yes, a very good point BlueBelle

If I am in doubt I resist posting for a while to see how the thread evolves. It sometimes becomes apparent that the poster is a wind-up merchant.

Kandinsky Mon 08-Apr-19 15:37:52

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

sodapop Mon 08-Apr-19 15:58:35

Yet more abbreviations appearing on Gransnet. I'm so tired of seeing these.

Like others I don't believe any young people are interested in fake posting on here. I think its more likely to be as BlueBelle said, just some bored individual lighting the blue touch paper.

Nonnie Mon 08-Apr-19 16:09:11

I'm another who thinks teenagers have better things to do.

I know that there are posters with young children who think we oldies know nothing, even when given the evidence they deny it. Imo they have come over from Mumsnet and, in certainly one case, got their friends to post too.

SarahGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 08-Apr-19 16:17:43

We can see that this thread is turning into a bun fight. Please refrain from personal attacks. As you all know, such attacks - and troll hunting - are against our posting guidelines. If this continues, we will have no choice but to remove the thread.

It is also worth bearing in mind that when threads like this descend into the realm of personal attacks, the trolls are getting what they want - and nobody wants that! smile

annodomini Mon 08-Apr-19 16:19:42

I have three teenagers in the family and am sure they have more interesting things to do than annoying/shocking grannies - like poring over a games console or hanging out with mates on a street corner!

Grandad1943 Mon 08-Apr-19 16:27:58

However, It is also worth bearing in mind also that there are also threads that do not descend into the realm of personal attacks but still have posts still deleted by GNHQ, simply because one or two forum members do not like the subject under discussion.

Grandad1943 Mon 08-Apr-19 16:30:03

Apologies for the test errors in my above poast, I am working and attempted to post very quickly

More haste, less speed.

Lily65 Mon 08-Apr-19 16:37:01

Could HQ not subtly and kindly offer some links to helpful services if people are " in trouble"

Kandinsky Mon 08-Apr-19 16:41:02

Apologies SarahGransnet blush

( although I’m not sure whether to laugh or cry that my proud boast of never having a post deleted lasted all of 2 minutes )

Anja Mon 08-Apr-19 16:45:18

The odd school holiday wind ups are quite distinct from other more disturbing ones.

kittylester Mon 08-Apr-19 16:53:05

Agree anja.

kittylester Mon 08-Apr-19 16:53:56

Oh for a return to the days of Van's and Shoezone!!!

kittylester Mon 08-Apr-19 16:54:27

I did not put that apostrophe there!!!!

BlueBelle Mon 08-Apr-19 17:04:18

Gosh SarahGransnet I missed any personal attacks or bun fights it appears to me that 99% of us are in agreement on this thread where does the disagreement come into it

Riverwalk Mon 08-Apr-19 17:16:09

SarahGransnet I'm surprised at your threat to delete the whole thread - 2 narky posts out of 46 is hardly a bunfight!

A bit of an over-reaction IMO.

Day6 Mon 08-Apr-19 17:19:58

Another puzzled poster here. Aren't most (all?) of the replies valid and relevant or am I missing something?

maryeliza54 Mon 08-Apr-19 18:13:18

If HQ thinks this is a bunfight goodness knows what they call some others

M0nica Mon 08-Apr-19 18:13:36

If yu have seen pictures of the people jailed for vile and abusive posts threatening death etc. There have been a number of these trials, one chap has been jailed several times.

They all seemed to be overweight unemployed graduates from northern working class areas. That is a statement of the profile of those convicted, not a sterotyping if this group.