Gransnet forums

Chat

Having a bad day.

(140 Posts)
merlotgran Sat 13-Apr-19 12:11:09

I'm not able to focus on anything today, even light hearted threads on gransnet (I'm avoiding any sad ones). Yesterday we were told that chemo is no longer an option for DD's gall bladder cancer and she is now under the palliative care team as her liver is failing. I'm beginning to doubt she will ever come out of hospital even though hospice at home is being discussed. The sight of her lovely clear skin and big brown eyes so jaundiced makes me weep.

I managed to hold it together yesterday (almost) but today I'm a wreck. I can't bear to go in the garden because this time of the year is all about hope and planning. I can't bear the view across the fens - too many memories of the children growing up. I can't be bothered to cook, I can't focus on reading or watching telly.

I don't have to visit today because others are going so at least I'm spared the drive. The pain is almost unbearable but has to be endured Poor DH just doesn't know what to do with himself. We thought we'd try planting main crop potatoes but CBA.

I know I must expect this awful helplessness. Others go through it, we're no different but God, it's hard.

Grandmashe43 Sat 13-Apr-19 14:00:17

So sad for you Merlot, sending a gentle hug and prayers x

Doodle Sat 13-Apr-19 14:08:55

merlot I don’t know what to say. I can understand how hope can get you through so far but to now be faced with this utter sadness I am not surprised you don’t have the will to do anything today. Your poor family must be in bits. Thoughts and prayers for strength for you all is all I can offer flowers

jura2 Sat 13-Apr-19 14:10:03

What an awful and sad situation for you all- no wonder you are 'having a bad day'. Just can't find the right words, any words really, apart that I am so so sorry for you, and hope paliative care will bring peace without pain. xxx

Ginny42 Sat 13-Apr-19 14:11:14

I know how desolate I would be in your shoes. Warm wishes and caring thoughts are all I can send you. x

DanniRae Sat 13-Apr-19 14:12:05

flowers xx

Sara65 Sat 13-Apr-19 14:12:58

My heart is breaking for you. So so sad

gillybob Sat 13-Apr-19 14:13:40

Oh merlot I can’t even begin to imagine what you and your family are going through . As others have said I can completely understand that you have no interest in doing anything at all, as all of your thoughts and energies are going into the love you have for your dear daughter . I don’t “do” the god thing merlot but I will be thinking of you and your darling girl tonight as I think of my own loved ones. xx

anna7 Sat 13-Apr-19 14:20:10

I am so sorry flowers

Wheniwasyourage Sat 13-Apr-19 14:23:22

Of course you can't focus on anything - why should you? Just let it all go unless you think of something small which will help you in any way, and then do that. There is nothing bad about anything which will, while not exactly taking your mind off your horrible situation, help to give you even a moment's relief.

Sending you and all your family love and hugs. flowers

GrannyGravy13 Sat 13-Apr-19 14:25:45

Merlot I have now words.......sending love, kind thoughts and prayers?

cornergran Sat 13-Apr-19 14:29:23

Oh merlot, I’m so sorry and also sorry I haven’t the words to help just a bit. Sending love to you all.

lemongrove Sat 13-Apr-19 14:34:02

Merlot...we can all imagine being in your situation and how desolate we would feel.Life is unfair and can be cruel.
Being your DD’s loving Mother is all that you can continue to do,and being of practical help to your SIL and DGC.
Reading your posts puts things in perspective, what really matters is family and friends, little else.?

Chucky Sat 13-Apr-19 14:35:58

merlotgran As a parent you never expect to outlive your children. My heart goes out to you on this dreadful news and my prayers are with you and your family.

Willow500 Sat 13-Apr-19 14:36:56

Words are so inadequate at times like this. Just know that many are thinking of you and your family as you go through such sadness and wishing you the strength to cope with all that is to come flowers

Grannybags Sat 13-Apr-19 14:40:38

My thoughts are with you and your family merlot flowers

Sar53 Sat 13-Apr-19 14:51:08

Merlot so very sorry to hear such sad news. My thoughts are with you and your family flowers. X

Framilode Sat 13-Apr-19 14:59:34

This is so heartbreaking and unbearable for you all I am so sorry Merlotgran.

shysal Sat 13-Apr-19 15:18:24

I have no words. flowers (((hugs)))

paddyann Sat 13-Apr-19 15:18:33

The loss of a child is the worst loss of all and my heart goes out to you.All you can do is try to get through each day and try to give your daughter any support you feel able to.Its something that will take time to come to terms with...and as time is short just being with her through it will give you some sense of doing what you can .I'll light a candle for you all and send my best wishes for some peace .

Alygran Sat 13-Apr-19 15:21:01

Merlot flowers

Yiayia4 Sat 13-Apr-19 15:21:17

So very sorry to hear your sad news sending thoughts and prayers. flowers

Greenfinch Sat 13-Apr-19 15:24:32

You and your family are in my thoughts today. I have a sister-in-law going through similar and she feels exactly the same as you do.Hold hands with those reaching out to you and rest in their love.

Auntieflo Sat 13-Apr-19 15:28:05

Merlot, I don’t know what to say, but can’t say nothing. We all are holding you and your family in our hearts and hope you are given the strength to manage each day.
Love, hugs and prayers.

nanaK54 Sat 13-Apr-19 15:32:04

Sending kind thoughts flowers

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 13-Apr-19 15:46:31

I'm so sorry Merlot, it's terrible when someone gets to the end of a life when it's decades too early. The only comfort I can offer is to say that hospices are wonderful places where those in need get the best possible care.
Allow yourself to be sad, it's raw and will be for some time. It's all right to be miserable. flowers