Gransnet forums

Chat

What to do?

(68 Posts)
Katek Mon 15-Apr-19 10:59:10

We live near the coast and our elderly neighbour has taken to feeding the seagulls. Consequently our cars and driveway are spattered with gull poo which needs to be washed off cars pdq as it damages the paintwork. They’re lovely neighbours and we get on very well. but the husband is in the early stages of Alzheimer’s so it seems a bit mean to prevent him enjoying the birds. I also don’t want to damage neighbourly relations but we’re getting fed up taking a bucket and sponge out to the cars every day. Drive will need power washed to clean it. I know - we live by the sea so expect seagulls. but they don’t normally come this far upstream. It’s the food that’s attracting them. Oddly enough-they’re not pooing on his drive or car!! Smart enough to know not to peck the hand who feeds them perhaps?!

madmum38 Thu 18-Apr-19 15:22:38

Do you have anywhere you could hang some cds from? When younger my son used to get them from charity shops and string together like a mobile, the sun reflects and scares the birds away and also they look quite nice as there are many colours in them that reflect outward, he even had neighbours asking for them in the end. Good luck

Rufus2 Wed 17-Apr-19 13:31:11

In no way was I suggesting that everyone who occasionally feeds these birds is suffering from dementia
Esspee: Thank goodness for that clarification! Otherwise I could be diagnosed as suffering from double dementia: I feed my friendly magpie family and others, daily on bread (wholemeal of course), chicken, sausage etc They leave their calling cards by way of thanks and also as deposits for their next meal-time. grin. I don't mind in the least; they leave Freda alone as a mark of respect I guess!
We also have great conversations, although I don't join in when they warble; I can't even yodel!

Gonegirl Wed 17-Apr-19 13:15:00

grin

Mycatisahacker Wed 17-Apr-19 11:46:02

Eleanor grin

Eleanor21 Wed 17-Apr-19 10:05:21

I eat some meals in my glass roofed conservatory and there is often a row of seagulls and rooks sitting on the roof ridge staring at my dinner. Obviously trying to plan how to get it. I worry one day they will turn up with a glass cutter!

SillyNanny321 Wed 17-Apr-19 09:48:01

Feeding birds white bread is bad for them but if brown or granulated whole meal, soaked if hard, hasnt seemed to hurt the birds that I feed. My favourite has been here for 6 years & he & his mate raise healthy chicks every year. If people carry on waving food about while eating their food in the street they are the ones causing the problems. Dont wave your arms & jump around shouting & the birds will not see you as a threat. Get educated & leave our wildlife alone, they will not be here much longer the way we treat them!

Esspee Wed 17-Apr-19 02:34:34

Regarding my comment about feeding pigeons and gulls being a sign of dementia I should perhaps have phrased that differently. Obsessional feeding of gulls and pigeons, especially when the person has been told that they must stop is almost exclusively a problem with elderly people. This is usually linked with dementia.

In no way was I suggesting that everyone who occasionally feeds these birds is suffering from dementia.

Feeding birds bread is harmful to them so those who do so (regardless of age and mental capacity) should be stopped.

Hm999 Tue 16-Apr-19 21:44:23

A friend has a neighbour who lives in a flat under a couple who feed the seagulls bread daily. He can't use his small terrace because it's covered in excrement. I think he was going to contact Envirnmental Health. Gulls don't seem to be like other birds, they know who feeds them and return in droves.

And of course, bread is bad for them

Mycatisahacker Tue 16-Apr-19 20:18:23

Op that comment wasn’t directed at you by the way you sound like you have empathy for the next door neighbours.

Mycatisahacker Tue 16-Apr-19 20:12:51

With you SillyNanny321

Reminds me of people who move near schools and complain about the school runs and kids noise, move to the country and complain about smells or move to live near a church and complain about bells!

Come on birds are living beautiful creatures unlike cars which are really not.

Mycatisahacker Tue 16-Apr-19 20:09:06

feeding gulls and pigeons is a sign of dementia

Oh dear please just educate yourself to the facts and not face book facts proper facts!

SillyNanny321 Tue 16-Apr-19 18:31:49

Just read another comment that feeding gulls & pigeons is a sign of dementia! How pathetic is that statement. At 4years old my son regularly fed pigeons in our garden. He is now 40yrs old & has not been diagnosed with dementia. Come to think of it neigher have I! Just of to feed my favourite gull who eats broken up bread & left over cat food from his own bowl while I hold it. A trick this clever bird taught me. If you do not like living with gulls then I suggest that you move & stop moaning!

SillyNanny321 Tue 16-Apr-19 18:21:33

Herring Gulls are red listed. To see just how many of our birds are red listed go to RSPB site.

bikergran Tue 16-Apr-19 17:25:55

When I was in Whitby last year I had just bought a Lobster tail to eat... the next second ! I felt a slight brush on my arm ! and it was gone!! lol lol gull had swooped down and nicked it! I was so shocked I just stood there looking at this empty tray lol.

Then another dived bombed and took a little girls ice cream right from under her nose...

(I went and bought another lobster tail and walked very fast inside the amusement arcade to eat it ) lol

glammagran Tue 16-Apr-19 16:20:33

Seagulls parading around busy thoroughfares in Bath are massive - they are not remotely bothered by people. The council do have signs asking people not to feed them. The bins are the type which you pull out the handle and close after inserting rubbish.

Esspee Tue 16-Apr-19 16:03:45

?Feeding birds such as seagulls and pigeons is an early sign of dementia.
Personally I would call environmental health.
( I would also consider scattering bread on their car and driveway every night for a couple of weeks if the nuisance didn't abate.)
Clearly they are unaware how harmful bread is to birds.

BlueBelle Tue 16-Apr-19 15:21:23

It’s not that seagulls want to feed off our food we are a dirty breed we walk around town or the prom eating our food out of our hands so of course a big ole hungry bird will swoop thinking you’re holding it for them We then leave the left overs either on the street or open in a bin and wonder why seagulls are attracted
I too think the car cover is an excellent idea

Yes Monica you are right humans don’t sh*t from a high height, but are you right? there is a different way to sh*t on you which humans seem to do very well

Blacktabby2 Tue 16-Apr-19 15:03:35

I lived in flats once and the lady above me used to capture wasps in a sticky smelling jam jar and then take them to the nearby park to release them!!!

Booklady54 Tue 16-Apr-19 14:59:14

I too live in a seaside town, and seagulls are a huge problem exacerbated by people feeding them! Seagull poo is hugely corrosive to cars, and the noise when they have built nests and are raising their chicks is awful (4.30am start to the day anyone!?). We are all issued with seagull proof refuse bags which has made the situation better, but people who feed them......are misguided and need to be told to stop.

inishowen Tue 16-Apr-19 14:55:17

We had an elderly neighbour who was given as ASBO for feeding pigeons. He wouldn't stop though. He would walk along the road dropping slices of white bread behind him. I think he was mentally ill as he was eventually put in a care home.

M0nica Tue 16-Apr-19 13:17:19

People, however dirty, rarely sh*t on other people from on high.

pinkquartz Tue 16-Apr-19 13:01:46

I have a neighbour who feed the gulls but I don't have a car so I don't have that problem I wish he wouldn't but I can't stop him.

I think though if the gull's are causing damage to your car you should have a friendly word with his wife and try to redirect his energies into feeding garden birds as other people have already suggested.
Also when they nest if they a young bird falls into the garden the parent bird will not allow you into your own garden.!
They are very aggressive and vicious so better to nip this in the bud.

pinkquartz Tue 16-Apr-19 12:58:16

I used to live in Lyme Regis and about fifteen years ago I warned a man with two children that it was not a good idea to keep throwing chips to the seagulls.
He gave me a dirty look and ignored me.
In less that 3 minutes a gull swooped down and stole the fish right from his hand........he still didn't even look at me but hurried away.
We have notices up warning people that the gulls are now violent.
My own problem with them is when they mess on my clean washing,
It is really nasty stuff to get out and they also like to mess on our just cleaned windows.

breeze Tue 16-Apr-19 12:54:45

Chips or seagull hmm

quizqueen Tue 16-Apr-19 12:54:37

Look around at the mess humans make- that's where your complains should be aimed, not at nature!