Gransnet forums

Chat

A frivolous train of thought...

(131 Posts)
Rosina Thu 18-Apr-19 08:52:33

This morning while applying mascara, I remembered the 'spit and scrub' type of the sixties. the small black and deep pink plastic case, the tiny black brush, and then 'Outdoor Girl' popped into my mind. Curious to see if anyone else remembered it I googled 'Outdoor Girl' - and it seems it is still going strong. Why do our brains retain these small facts? I know the words to the advertising jingle for 'Richard Shops'. Obviously I now need to steer my brain on to slightly more significant matters like paying some bills and walking the dog, but I did enjoy that little foray into my teenage years!

PamelaJ1 Sun 21-Apr-19 20:57:45

BradfordLass, I was dressed up as dolly blue for a fancy dress competition at Caton Bay holiday camp.
I’ve no idea who dolly was but I think your picture must have been what I was representing?
I remember the jingle- It beats as It sweeps as It cleans.
Must have been a Hoover, it’s amazing how many carpet related jingles we remember.

BradfordLass72 Sun 21-Apr-19 23:08:38

PamelaJ1 Dolly Blue was a litle bag of compressed blue dye, with a wooden stick in the top, the whole covered by muslin.
When the white clothing was being rinsed, the 'washerwomen' (ie my Mum) would swish this bag about in the water and it gave a very faint blue cast to the whites. The idea being was that it would make them look even whiter.

The blue specks in today's washing powders are there for the same reason.

♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ "All the dust, all the grit, Hoover gets out every bit as it beats, as it sweeps as it cleans." ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬

www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQO-V-9RAD8

Lindylou23 Mon 22-Apr-19 21:52:21

Esso sign means Happy motoring cannot get tune out of my head,
Does anyone remember Kunzle cakes in a chocolate case ?

BradfordLass72 Mon 22-Apr-19 23:56:55

Lindylou23 Kunzle cakes were the first commercially produced cake I ever tried. I'd be about 14 or so. Mum used to bake and very occasionally we'd get other cakes from a local bakers.

But Kunzle were those ever-lasting processed things and to my palate they were absolutely revolting, possublt because I have never like sponge cake, and still don't, nor artificial cream.

Here's a good article about Kunzles from the T&A:

www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/tahistory/10804715.grocers-window-display-boasts-kunzle-delights/

gransal Tue 23-Apr-19 00:24:05

I still remember my parents phone number as it is still the one mum uses today. Never had another one. I also remember Leichner foundation in a black tub. I used hint of coffee which must have left a dark brown "tide mark" on my jaw.!!! But hey ho thought I was cool.