Gransnet forums

Chat

Watching the old ‘carry on’ films which I still love, but jeez, what did women see in Sid James?

(98 Posts)
Kandinsky Fri 19-Apr-19 11:38:20

Funny man & great actor, but by no stretch of the imagination was he good looking.
Or am I missing something?

breeze Sat 20-Apr-19 15:31:31

Rufus2 I hope you enjoyed watching Barbara Windsor's bra pinging off in 'Carry on Camping' grin seems it's one of the favourite moments for you chaps grin

Would like to add I love Carry On Films. I think they become more humorous as you get older. Kenneth Williams and Hatty Jacques 'Ooh matron' gets me every time but I would've given it a withering look when I was a teenager.

oodles Sat 20-Apr-19 16:20:18

I guess maybe he was handsome as a young man, he certainly seems to have attracted the ladies, but not good when you are married.

Grannie54 Sat 20-Apr-19 16:51:27

Donald Sutherland was almost ugly but unbelievably sexy!

BrandyButter Sat 20-Apr-19 17:07:20

Rufus2 Get your pjamas you just pulled!! You made me laugh but unfortunately I am a bit younger than you not older. You know what they say though, the species that adapt to the circumstances are the ones that survive so maybe it is time you looked for younger models wink wink wink

SparklyGrandma Sat 20-Apr-19 17:15:23

OP I like you can’t imagine what women saw in SJ. Humour and making us laugh usually works with us ladies but...

SparklyGrandma Sat 20-Apr-19 17:19:35

On the same note, at the hairdressers last Thursday, the young woman about 30 years younger than me asked me if I found Luther attractive - oh yes said I. The actors name is Iris Elba. Swoooonn.

rafichagran Sat 20-Apr-19 17:30:20

Funny yes, likable yes, fanciable, no way.

MissAdventure Sat 20-Apr-19 18:11:13

Hmmm, yes, I could maybe have found him strangely attractive.
I like his earthy quality, and imagine he would be fun (in bed!) blush

Missiseff Sat 20-Apr-19 18:45:35

Max Branning has definitely got 'IT' !!

Urmstongran Sat 20-Apr-19 18:53:45

I think David Gandy (male model) is gorgeous. Then I found out he is the same age as our youngest daughter! That didn’t feel right so I stopped my adoration.

MissAdventure Sat 20-Apr-19 18:55:01

Oh noo! Max can keep 'it' to himself.
Still, one man's meat is another man's poison.

Daisyboots Sat 20-Apr-19 21:33:24

My Dad worked in the film industry and worked on most of the Carry On films as well as the James Bond films of that era. We lived about a 10 minute walk from Sid James house so they often had a drink together
He was a lovely man and despite all the talk about him having affairs he and his wife always appeared to be very happy together. We used to have to walk past his house on the way to our school playing fields in our tennis or hockey kit. If he was just leaving his house he always chatted to us girls but never in a chatting up style. His voice was not nearly as rough as it sounded in films which, let's face it, was him acting. But he certainly had a charm about him especially his twinkling eyes. He was a whole class above that guy who plays Branning in East Enders. Now Idris Elba is a whole different matter. smile

Deedaa Sat 20-Apr-19 21:38:07

When I was at school Sid James lived a couple of streets away from us (In a bigger house than ours, but nothing like the sort of house a film star would have today) I used to seehim out shopping and he seemed to look better in the flesh than on screen. He also used to wear nice blue shirts when most men were still wearing white.

sluttygran Sun 21-Apr-19 11:01:12

Many years back I dated a man who could only be described as ‘ tall, dark and gruesome’, although he did have nice eyes and was very well groomed.
Such was his personality, character and humour that women were fascinated by him. I found it difficult to cope with all the competition, and we parted good friends. He later married a very glamorous woman. It’s certainly not all about being an Adonis! grin

SparklyGrandma Sun 21-Apr-19 11:58:52

Daisyboots ? Idris Elba....

Willow500 Sun 21-Apr-19 12:17:28

I loved Sid James but not in a fanciable way - he reminded me so much of one of my favorite uncles who was a bit of a rogue.

I watch a lot of the old films and tv shows and can never fathom why the older men such as Reg Varney and his sidekick are portrayed as sex icons but they still make me laugh. The one exception is Telly Savalas as Kojak - Greek God grin

Rufus2 Sun 21-Apr-19 12:29:18

Get your pjamas you just pulled!!

Brandy; ?????? Can't figure that out even though it could be naughty (but nice!)? And "looking for younger models" (plural)!!? I'm mindful of the Frenchman's approach; "only chase one rabbit at a time!"! Now that would hare-raising! grin

Rufus2 Sun 21-Apr-19 13:19:37

Rufus2 I hope you enjoyed watching Barbara Windsor's bra pinging off in 'Carry on Camping' seems it's one of the favourite moments for you chaps
breeze; Not for this chap! I'm a leg man myself. grin I like my jokes to be subtle and my women to be supple and "Carry-Ons" don't fit either! grin They must be tall, slim, good looking, gooddancers and long legged (In your dreams Rufus)!
On the other hand, how about Cyd Charisse? I revisited some U-Tube clips today where she dances with the likes of Gene Kelly and Fred Astaire. "Dancing in the Dark"is pure magic. Can you arrange any intros?

callgirl1 Sun 21-Apr-19 19:03:04

`Tẁould be a little difficult Rufus, she died in 2008

Tweedle24 Sun 21-Apr-19 19:39:52

My husband was tall and handsome (blond though, not dark). It was, however, his twinkling eyes that were the biggest attraction.

Maggiemaybe Sun 21-Apr-19 20:06:58

I think Sid James had something - a bit of a twinkle and a roguish charm. Rather like Mickey Dolenz in The Monkees, who I always preferred to the pretty one, Davy Jones (I’m going back a bit now!).

Maggiemaybe Sun 21-Apr-19 20:11:07

But Max Branning - no!

Deedaa Sun 21-Apr-19 21:34:40

Juliet27 I do rather fancy Mark Carney as well. Recently found out that DD likes him too!

Rufus2 Mon 22-Apr-19 12:50:16

Tẁould be a little difficult Rufus, she died in 2008
callgirl; Well I never did! Where have I been these past 11 years? Nobody told me! I thought she was an immortal goddess (not immoral!), but now somebody will remind me as to whether G.K. and Fred have shuffled off their mortal coils! sad
Btw Brandy; are you still working out what you meant too! grin

Callistemon Mon 22-Apr-19 16:41:11

SparklyGrndma I think his name is Idris Elba (named after a Welsh mountain perhaps?) and not to be spoken of in the same breath as Sid James!
He is definitely very handsome (although I have never seen Luther).