Gransnet forums

Chat

Watching the old ‘carry on’ films which I still love, but jeez, what did women see in Sid James?

(98 Posts)
Kandinsky Fri 19-Apr-19 11:38:20

Funny man & great actor, but by no stretch of the imagination was he good looking.
Or am I missing something?

CardiffJaguar Sat 20-Apr-19 10:41:59

Those who can make any woman laugh and keep doing it have a huge advantage. Laughing can be an aphrodisiac.

Hm999 Sat 20-Apr-19 10:49:27

Oh come on. Did your mother never tell you to avoid the handsome ones, especially if they know they're gorgeous?

Annaram1 Sat 20-Apr-19 10:50:53

NO to Sid James, and even more NO to Max Branning and
the bald Mitchell guy... forget his name, but they seem to be irresistible to women in EastEnders. The romance between his wife Sharon and sexy Keanu seems to have died the death.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 20-Apr-19 10:55:21

No, I'm with you OP. He wasn't handsome by any stretch of the imagination and it was a complete mystery to me why the Carry On character he played thought himself such a sexpot.
Personality has to win over looks though, or some of us would never have got a date!

Margs Sat 20-Apr-19 11:09:28

Maybe no oil painting but he's an utter gem in "Hancocks Half Hour" - he fairly puts Tony Hancock in the shade!

David1968 Sat 20-Apr-19 11:13:50

Wasn't it simply that probably Sid James was fun to be with, and good company? And probably that he could make a woman feel that he found her fascinating? That would be enough for some women. My DH is gorgeous (IMO) but it was his good humour, "niceness", and sheer fun-to-be-with qualities, which won me over!

lemongrove Sat 20-Apr-19 11:24:19

Sid was South African and used to be a hairdresser ( not many people know that,… said in a deadpan Michael Caine sort of way grin
He certainly could attract women, no idea why though.
The Carry On films had some great one liners, and good acting and timing as you would expect.

Juliet27 Sat 20-Apr-19 11:36:06

Don't ask me why but yes, I did find something about him attractive. The twinkle I guess!!

Juliet27 Sat 20-Apr-19 11:40:20

icanhandthemback. Unfortunately my frog had far less potential than I originally imagined all those years ago. Sigh!!

Happysexagenarian Sat 20-Apr-19 11:46:49

My Mum worked in a shop where Sid was a regular customer. She said he was a very kind and generous man, and often gave generously to charity collections within the store. His cheeky personality and saucy laugh had all the girls there fancying him. I loved the Carry On films, though my Mum thought they were too suggestive.

Bazza Sat 20-Apr-19 12:20:19

sid James?? No no no! Nor max branning or the Mitchell brother who looks like a raw sausage. Good looks are all very well but IMHO they tend to be tarts! I like a man with a certain je ne sais quoi, a great sense of humour who is kind and thoughtful and doesn't look like the back of a bus, oh yes, and has impeccable hygiene. And grateful to have me. Does he exist? Not in this house.

icanhandthemback Sat 20-Apr-19 12:21:54

Juliet27, I had to kiss 2 other frogs first! Maybe your time will come. I am an eternal optimist!

Jaycee5 Sat 20-Apr-19 12:24:35

I haven't heard many people who knew him say anything negative about Sid James. Kenneth Williams didn't like him but that seemed to be jealousy because they were both friends with Barbara Windsor.
I always found him very watchable. Sally Geeson described him as quiet and sophisticated.

minxie Sat 20-Apr-19 13:00:11

It’s the same as on the buses. No young woman would of found those two oldies handsome, but they got the girls

Gaggi3 Sat 20-Apr-19 13:01:13

Donald Trump sometimes makes me laugh ( when I'm not weeping or angry at his idiocy), though not in a good way, and I certainly don't fancy him! grin

breeze Sat 20-Apr-19 13:40:40

I think it's called charisma. Probably something you can't appreciate if you're not in the same room with them.

Think Mick Jagger. Although The Stones are my favourite band; I can't imagine anything worse than seeing those saggy chops and naked skinny frame heading for the bed shock but it seems he was a right charmer even before the large bank balance.

We've probably all come across men in our time where it's inexplicable why you find them attractive. They just have charisma.

Shame you can't buy that in a bottle along with liquid luck eh grin

millymouge Sat 20-Apr-19 14:06:49

Working at a vets in Ealing, London, more years ago than I care to say, Sid James used to bring his boxer dog in for treatment. They say owners and their dogs tend to look alike and this was certainly the case. He was however absolutely lovely to talk to and so nice and polite to everyone. He adored this absolutely zany dog and we were all quite sorry when the treatment worked and he didn't have to come in any more. He was certainly a gentleman, however he was shown in his films.

Rufus2 Sat 20-Apr-19 14:07:01

Rufus2 you don't know what you have been missing . The quickest way to get a girl into bed is to make her laugh.

Brandy: Thank you for unlocking the secrets of success! smile Unfortunately I'm only 91¾ so your advice might be a bit late seeing as I now prefer older women! grin

But my memory is still razor sharp which reminds me of an old joke;

A 20 something blonde (she has to be blonde to lend some credibility) married an 80+ OAP. Now when she's in bed she feels old age creeping on! grin

Kandinsky Sat 20-Apr-19 14:13:32

Oh crikey yes, Jack from ‘on the buses’ - cast as an irresistible sex god.

janeainsworth Sat 20-Apr-19 14:21:30

Gabriella although the best dressed man I ever dated was a plumber who always wore bespoke suits, Gieves and Hawke shirts and beautiful casual wear, handmade shoes etc

That sounds a bit Arthur Seaton from Saturday Night and Sunday Morning
#dontmakethemlikethatanymore

Kandinsky Sat 20-Apr-19 14:33:28

I agree breeze - Funny that it doesn’t seem to work the other way?
Most men go on looks alone whereas women can fall for a great sense of humour, charisma etc.

breeze Sat 20-Apr-19 14:42:29

Well I live in hope Kandinsky being in possession of a wicked sense of humour and massive charisma overload. Cillian Murphy will find me eventually grin

I wish grin grin grin

Baloothefitz Sat 20-Apr-19 14:46:31

Nope Sid James in the Carry on films I watched as a teenager, just looked liked a dirty old man & acted as one ewwwwww .

Kandinsky Sat 20-Apr-19 14:48:04

breeze ?

Juliet27 Sat 20-Apr-19 14:56:10

I do find Mark Carney attractive.