Gransnet forums

Chat

Resisting chocolate!

(99 Posts)
DanniRae Thu 25-Apr-19 10:05:05

I don't buy myself chocolate because I am trying to not eat too much sweet stuff. BUT I was bought 2 Easter eggs by my well meaning daughters. Soooooooo.........last night I opened one and ate far too much of it! By the morning I was disgusted with my self and would have happily thrown the rest in the bin. Am I the only one who has done this? I am so weak willed in the evenings for chocolate? (Please don't come on here and say "Just don't eat the chocolate" - I KNOW that, thank you!) blush

annodomini Thu 25-Apr-19 18:47:48

I was staying with family over Easter. Both DSs gave me eggs and it was impossible to pack them in my small suitcase, so I broke them up and left some with them while I wrapped up a lot of fragments and - sorry to say - I ate them on the train home! 44 years ago, when DS2 was in hospital at Easter, he was given a lot of Easter eggs. You can guess who ate most of them. It would have been cruel to stuff a 2-year-old with chocolate, wouldn't it?

Witzend Thu 25-Apr-19 18:58:40

She bought me a huge Maltesers egg, which I resisted until this afternoon. The egg chocolate is sort of Malteser-ish and very yummy.
I will share the rest with dh later.
He had scoffed his own egg by about 11 am on Sunday morning.

Katyj Thu 25-Apr-19 19:06:42

I bought myself a creme egg easter Egg, it came with two eggs, I've just had one with a coffee, feel satisfied now, until tomorrow!.Sorry I'm not much help, but at least you know your not alone blush

M0nica Thu 25-Apr-19 20:30:44

I do not particularly like chocolate, but got two small eggs, and two small boxes of chocolates this Easter. I ate them quite happily on the evenings of Easter Sunday and Monday and that was them gone, straight back on the 5:2 on Tuesday, no weight gain, but no loss.

DanniRae Thu 25-Apr-19 20:39:17

Oops I did it again! Rest of yesterdays egg now eaten! I'm putting the other one away up stairs - I'll give myself a break and then start on that one! grin

sodapop Thu 25-Apr-19 20:41:39

Just polished off half a bar of chocolate and some M&Ms yummy.

Mossfarr Thu 25-Apr-19 20:41:50

When my DS was about two years old he was very demanding, I never had a minute to myself. One day I was really fed up so I hid on the floor beside my bed and
scoffed a cadburys cream egg all to myself. All the time my son was howling his head off because he couldn't find me. Did I feel guilty - no, but strangely I've never eaten one since - can't bear them now.

farview Thu 25-Apr-19 22:05:50

I only like really really dark chocolate...and one bar could last me a month...just let a square or two melt on my tongue mmmm!!

Chewbacca Thu 25-Apr-19 22:10:17

I refuse to feel guilty about the large bar of dark chocolate marzipan that I ate earlier this evening. In fact, I'm eyeing up it's mate that's sat staring at me now...... hmm

Ohmother Fri 26-Apr-19 00:19:15

If anyone would like me to ‘save’ them from sinning or finds eating too much is a struggle could I pm you with my address for you to forward it to me. I like doing charity work. ?. I’m sure all the travelling will knock out the calories too! ?

DanniRae Fri 26-Apr-19 07:23:16

Ohmother - regarding your very kind offer to take my Easter Egg off my hands I will pm my address but you will have to come and get it. I would be most grateful and must say that I admire your wonderful charity work.

Mapleleaf Fri 26-Apr-19 07:38:45

Look at it this way, DannieRae, unless those eggs are super huge, you won’t have eaten as much chocolate as you would have done if it had been a bar of chocolate, which tends to weigh more! ???
Anyway, I hope you have enjoyed every mouthful. Yum! ?

BlueSapphire Fri 26-Apr-19 08:01:26

Have not had a big egg this year, but I cannot resist the mini creme eggs, and have to restrict myself to two every evening, but they will be out of the shops soon. I usually buy a bar of plain chocolate every week and have a couple of squares every evening.
But then the mystery Easter fairy delivered a Lindt bunny to every house in our close....at Christmas we all had a bottle of Prosecco, at Valentine's a red rose was delivered to everyone and we don't know who it is! I suppose I could always give the chocolate bunny to the DGDs....
Cheese and wine are my other weaknesses....

DanniRae Fri 26-Apr-19 08:23:16

Wow BlueSappire - don't you all wonder who your mystery benefactor is?
Thank you Mapleleaf - I feel a lot better now about eating my Easter egg and yes I did really enjoy it!

M0nica Fri 26-Apr-19 09:23:46

Easter comes but once a year, just eat the chocolate up as quickly as possible and then forget about it and get back to normal. A day or two of abstemiousness or smaller portions will balance it all out.

Nonnie Fri 26-Apr-19 10:05:12

I was brought up not to waste food, something to do with starving children in Africa which I never understood so what am I supposed to do? So far I have finished off the left over biscuits and the rhubarb crumble along with the pasta we ate for dinner.

I will eat all the chocolate next but only because of those starving children in Africa. Will they appreciate my sacrifice? hmm

Aepgirl Fri 26-Apr-19 10:21:43

Easter Eggs are meant to be eaten. Just enjoy and don’t eat any more until next Easter.

Kim19 Fri 26-Apr-19 10:27:45

I see no harm in indulging yourself when you fancy. However, I see nothing wrong with binning whatever you don't want irrespective of source or value. Obviously your children mustn't find out but perhaps the odd mention of 'trying' not to partake and the penny will drop and they will treat you to something different in future.

GinJeannie Fri 26-Apr-19 11:07:27

I very reluctantly gave up chocolate 35 years ago when I found that they gave me migraines...not easy but the thought of no vile migraines was too tempting. My DD was also a chocoholic and would eat her sister’s Easter eggs....however she’s recognised her problem and used the Paul McKenna dvd and book with 100% results. Neither of us can even bear the smell of chocolate now.

justrolljanet Fri 26-Apr-19 11:14:54

Never feel guilty about eating chocolate, life is too short x

Kikibee Fri 26-Apr-19 11:25:50

I bought a discounted expensive egg at Waitrose yesterday and ate the whole lot last night while watching tv! Today I have a thumping headache and had a really bad nights sleep... that will teach me ... lol. Today is another day and I won’t be doing that again for a long while ! Trying to learn from my mistakes it may take a while but in the words of Esther Rantzen “That’s Life” grin xx

Milo27 Fri 26-Apr-19 11:25:50

If you enjoyed it there is no problem, guilt is a wasted emotion xx

LuckyFour Fri 26-Apr-19 11:31:37

Sometimes I'm longing for something sweet, particularly chocolate so I sneak into the kitchen and have a spoonful of Nutella. Yummy.

Caro57 Fri 26-Apr-19 11:35:05

Don’t ‘do’ Easter eggs for that very reason but hubby will chomp through a large bar each evening. I make sure there’s only what he likes in the house else I would do the same

GrandmaPam Fri 26-Apr-19 11:38:50

Me too....we went through just 3 this year that we had to replace! LOL