Gransnet forums

Chat

Resisting chocolate!

(99 Posts)
DanniRae Thu 25-Apr-19 10:05:05

I don't buy myself chocolate because I am trying to not eat too much sweet stuff. BUT I was bought 2 Easter eggs by my well meaning daughters. Soooooooo.........last night I opened one and ate far too much of it! By the morning I was disgusted with my self and would have happily thrown the rest in the bin. Am I the only one who has done this? I am so weak willed in the evenings for chocolate? (Please don't come on here and say "Just don't eat the chocolate" - I KNOW that, thank you!) blush

Longdistancegrnny Fri 26-Apr-19 17:39:32

DH bought me a giant chocolate rabbit, which I am working my way through methodically, but yesterday he came home from the supermarket with a lovely egg which had 75% off - oh dear! I agree - no point in feeling guilty, eat, enjoy and cut down next week! As someone above said, life’s too short for guilt.

Overthehills Fri 26-Apr-19 18:20:45

It has to be milk chocolate for me blush - have eaten a box of Milk Tray and the bars out of an egg since last Sunday. I refuse to feel guilty.
I do agree with Kim19 though and so throw things away if I don’t want/like them.

Grandmama Fri 26-Apr-19 19:21:37

DanniRae - a kindred spirit here! I was really strict during Lent, lost weight and since Easter Day have put on 4lbs sad and I'm really angry angry with myself and disgusted. Easter egg, home-made Simnel cake, Green and Black's chocolate bars (the latter a birthday present during Lent that I resisted until Easter), hot cross buns. During the day my meal portions are very modest but come the evening . . . all resistance evaporates.

olliebeak Fri 26-Apr-19 19:24:57

I got ONE Easter Egg this year - from my DD. She bought me my very favourite type (Thornton's Continental) but, so far, I've not opened it. I'm SO SURE that, once it's opened, I might just 'pig out' ........................ :'(.

Shizam Fri 26-Apr-19 19:29:20

Used to be a real chocoholic. These days, I only like bendicks bitter mints. Fortunately, one is enough. Was given one of those Lindt Easter bunnies. Couldn’t eat it, too sweet. But put some cashew nuts and a bottle of red wine in front of me, and I’m a pig!
But I also agree that you should not feel guilty about enjoying something that gives you pleasure. We’ve earned it!

Alypoole Fri 26-Apr-19 20:20:43

If there is anything like that to eat in the house I eat it- until I feel sick. Then I know I’ve had enough! I really thought I’d have grown out of this behaviour especially by the age of 66! Will I ever grow up?

Labaik Fri 26-Apr-19 20:30:13

I'm worse than you, Danni; I can't have chocolate, cakes, biscuits, sweets etc in the house as I just eat the lot. At the same time, I'm quite happy not to eat anything like that at all. But if it's in the house I can't rest till it's gone. I really don't want people to buy me chocolate, ever but they seem to be offended if I say so. I don't have that 'off' button that tells people to stop eating because they're full.

BradfordLass72 Fri 26-Apr-19 22:59:36

...ate far too much of it! By the morning I was disgusted with my self

I still find this attitude in women unbearably sad.

How on earth did we get to the stage where eating chocolate makes us disgusted with ourselves?

The brainwashing was and still is very strong, so much so that I expect the majority of people who read this, will disagree with me.
But we don't have to believe it.

WHY feel ashamed of eating something, anything you enjoy?
Would you feel the same way if it was fish, or cabbage? Of course not, because you (we) have been programmed to hate ourselves for daring to eat anything containing fats and sugars.
And yet those two things are vital to our well-being, especially the functioning of the brain.

Chocolate is a pleasure, and should be seen as such.

We are fine, wonderful, women who love chocolate - and should be seen as such - without shame or disgust.

Sleepygran Fri 26-Apr-19 23:45:37

I absolutely understand! I ate a whole big egg one evening,and actually felt a bit sick!
I have put on quite a bit of weight due to the chocolate.
I'm not really that bothered about proper food but LOVE chocolate.
The only way I don't eat it is if it's not in the house.
I feel your pain.

Merryweather Sat 27-Apr-19 01:49:42

At least it wasn't 2, big ones, accessory chocolate bars and smaller eggs too.??? I ate my self-control and willpower!

Mcrc Sat 27-Apr-19 02:46:01

That's funny; because I just ate a Reese's peanut butter egg before I read this. I am American, but I think you say "sod it" and just keep on goingsmile

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 27-Apr-19 08:22:34

I wouldn't worry about it Dannirae, I really wouldn't. Chocolate is very much 'in your face' just because it's Easter but it's over now. I try to be good most of the time but treat myself mainly at weekends so have ditched the guilt.
"Tomorrow is another day", as Scarlett O'Hara said. smile

Day6 Sat 27-Apr-19 14:45:51

I agree with you Bradford Lass

We have all been brain-washed into thinking we are 'naughty' or out of control by eating things we find pleasurable.

I need to lose weight but I never see foods as 'bad' and I never feel awful about eating things I enjoy. (I am not losing weight very quickly, it has to be said!)

I tell myself I have to restrict things I enjoy (because they are calorific more than anything) but an indulgence and the savouring of certain foods is a complete delight, and I will indulge, without guilt.

We are doing our heads in believing certain food stuffs are bad and we are bad in eating them.

All things in moderation is my motto but I do have friends who don't have "brakes" and once they start on chocolate they can't stop.

M0nica Sat 27-Apr-19 17:30:57

There was some interesting research published in one of the papers today. The experiment was performed on healthy young men. All were given a diet full of fat, sugar and other food recommended to be eaten in small quantities and a shortage of fruit and veg. One group were on it for about 5 days and the others for about a month.

All the usual measurement were made before and after. The bodie of those on the short binge, experienced small negative changes in their body make-up etc but soon recovered and went back to normal. Those who ate like that for the month saw major changes in their body chemistry, put on about 4 lbs and had to make a real effort to get back to fitness.

The moral of all this is that an occasional session of over eating and drinking, like Christmas or a holiday, should do you no harm and your body will quickly adjust. Start Christmas on 1 December and keep on well into January and the problems set in.

I love reaearch that shows that a little of what you fancy need do you no harm at all

MaudLillian Sat 27-Apr-19 17:50:55

I love chocolate, but since I became vegan and can't have dairy chocolate I find it easier to resist over indulging. I love dark chocolate now - there are so many amazing dairy free bars around! I believe that dairy milk is actually a bit addictive, which might be why resisting chocolate can be hard. I read a while ago that dark chocolate is rich in iron, so I feel better about the 3 or 4 squares of it I indulge in of an evening! When I do go overboard and scoff half a bar or more, I just tell myself I deserved it! You should do that - because most likely you probably do deserve a treat. Enjoy.

allule Sat 27-Apr-19 18:04:33

Lundy dark chocolate with salted caramel...mmm...jut one square each after a meal.

Jane10 Sat 27-Apr-19 18:05:25

I find that boxes of chocolate or, just for example, 2 Lindt bunnies have to be eaten very quickly so the calories don't have time to stick!

Feelingmyage55 Sat 27-Apr-19 21:22:18

Resist and chocolate don’t really belong in the same sentence in my head.

Gonegirl Sat 27-Apr-19 21:24:11

Good theory Jane10. Could well be something in that.

Gonegirl Sat 27-Apr-19 21:25:50

I just wish DH would start eating his. I can't pinch any while it's still a whole egg. Think he'd notice.

Labaik Sun 28-Apr-19 00:06:26

And now I keep seeing those new adverts with Jason Donovan for that new dark milk chocolate and I have to buy one to see what it's like.

Catterygirl Sun 28-Apr-19 16:35:34

Oh goodness. I just threw away last year's Thornton egg as it was a funny colour. I hate chocolate and feel so embarrassed my family keep buying it. I have high cholesterol so what's the point in eating something I don't enjoy?

Catterygirl Sun 28-Apr-19 16:37:29

Chocolate isn't fattening ladies so if you like it, enjoy it. Nothing is fattening at all in moderation. Don't feel guilty. I am a curry girl.