Gransnet forums

Chat

Am I mad?

(53 Posts)
lovingit Sat 27-Apr-19 16:07:04

I'm 68 and like many others I need to downsize as the decorating and general maintenance demands of a Victorian house are relentless .
I live with a large mad dog and have a horse I,m healthy and solvent with a few friends but no family near and lead a very comfortable life. I haven't moved until now as I didn't know where to move to.

Until I visited a friend in Spain!!

Am I mad to sell up and move?There is something scarey about selling up but I will rent for a year and if it doesn't work out I'll come back and buy a place .My friend will have my horse and my dog will be with me. My children are all for it.

I've given myself a year to clear out the house and think about what to do.Half of me is so excited at the idea of selling everything and getting out of my very comfortable rut but the other half is terrified!!

humptydumpty Mon 29-Apr-19 16:46:05

Sounds exciting to me!! but I agree with the advice to rent out your house for the year, I think you'll feel more secure if you can come back if it all goes tits up...

Magrithea Tue 30-Apr-19 09:15:35

I know someone who moved to Spain after visiting frequently (maybe that's the key - visit while you're trying to decide) and they love it. There are lots of expats but I do think trying to find somewhere where it's not a 'little Britain' enclave is better. Take courses either at a college or on line in Spanish and that will help too

I love visiting Spain - we're off there again in June - but my Spanish isn't good though my DH lived there for a year and is pretty fluent