Gransnet forums

Chat

Shameful confession!

(197 Posts)
sunseeker Sun 28-Apr-19 10:24:16

OK some of you may need to sit down for this one but I have a confession to make.........I didn't like "The Greatest Showman" film shock.

I have tried, honestly, the first time I watched it I switched off after 10 minutes, I tried again last night and switched off after 30 minutes - it is sooooo boring - does anything actually happen in the film?

Now I like musicals, but I also like them to have an interesting story line. As far as I can see it's only redeeming feature is Hugh Jackman wink

I will now go and hide behind the sofa whilst all those who love the film post about what a philistine I am!! grin

Maggiemaybe Thu 02-May-19 20:31:32

You absolutely cannot admit to not liking Catcher In the Rye!

Oh, I know, Sara65, I really should have borrowed the Gransnet tin hat before I criticised the sacred book. But I seem to have got away with it..... grin

Sara65 Thu 02-May-19 10:05:14

You absolutely cannot admit to not liking Catcher In the Rye! People may think you don’t appreciate good literature!

I read it a bit late in the day, probably in my forties, it was okay! But not the big amazing literary experience I was expecting

Maggiemaybe Thu 02-May-19 09:00:46

Fflaurie, just don’t get me started on Lost in Translation! Self-indulgent, xenophobic, tedious - it’s way down there with the worst (and most overrated) films I’ve ever had to sit through. Mind you, I must confess that I just don’t get the hype around the supposed masterpiece that is Catcher in the Rye either.

Jaxie Thu 02-May-19 08:20:45

I walked out of Moulin Rouge; I hated Titanic; the trailers for Mamma Mia made me cringe. What a premise: woman sh-g- 3 men in short time scheme result daughter doesn't know who her dad is.... Meryl Streep in dungarees? Perlease

Fflaurie Thu 02-May-19 07:34:36

Forgive me ladies because I am about to sin,

I HATED the stage show Mama Mia, so wouldn't even watch the film.
I HATED the stage show the Lion King, couldn't wait to get out.
Lady in the Van - turned it off half way through.
The feted film ; Lost in Translation, well I am still waiting for it to start
Shall I go on???

Daisyboots Wed 01-May-19 23:26:22

Oops don't know what happened there. I asked for Lady in the van which I had wanted to see since it irst came out. That was a really good film and while there were moments which made you smile it was such a sad film.

Daisyboots Wed 01-May-19 23:22:54

I rarely watch TV and never go to the cinema these days. My DH and youngest DS brought me home from hospital last week and after making me a cup of tea, which I was longing for, DS put Bohemian Rhapsody on. Never been much of a Queen fan but really enjoyed the film. When it had finished it was still spoil Mum afternoon so I asked for w

Indigoblue Wed 01-May-19 12:49:04

Awful book - 50 Shades? Did I read the wrong one (I thought it was great?)?

Ameliarose Wed 01-May-19 09:16:36

I didn't read 50 shades either, many of my friends couldn't believe it, because I am a great reader, greatest showman was oh hum ,my confession, I didn't enjoy under the Tuscan Sun ,how many people can afford to run away to Tuscany & buy an old mansion really

annodomini Wed 01-May-19 08:38:54

I saw it last week and loved it too. Excellent acting and absorbing story with just enough humour.

Pittcity Wed 01-May-19 07:31:39

Loved Green Book alypoole

Alypoole Wed 01-May-19 07:29:52

Anyone seen Green Book? Loved that!

Alypoole Wed 01-May-19 07:24:50

Agree about The Greatest Showman and La la Land. Adore Les Miserables and Billy Elliot, the musical not the film. Loathe Mrs Brown’s Boys.

Sara65 Wed 01-May-19 06:38:23

I’m with you on Mrs Brown, she’s revolting

AlgeswifeVal Wed 01-May-19 06:03:37

Oliver Coleman is a brilliant actress but I hated the Queen Anne film. I thought bohemian rhapsody as very good. Another programme I will not watch is Mrs Browns boys. Just awful.

Eskay10 Tue 30-Apr-19 22:37:34

I liked the songs in Greatest Showmam, mainly because my young granddaughter loved to sing along. The film that flummoxed me was La Land. How that was nominated for, or won anything is a complete mystery. I go to the cinema with a friend and we often just look at each other at the end of a film in wonderment. Wondering what the heck all the hype was about.

arosebyanyothername Tue 30-Apr-19 22:01:09

Hallelujah! I didn’t like Greatest Showman either although I thought a couple of the songs were quite good.
I find the more hype the worse the film!
Won’t be watching Mama Mia either.

Sue56 Tue 30-Apr-19 21:20:04

Hurrah I thought I was the only one. The story could’ve been told in about 15 minutes but I kept watching it as I thought it would get better. How wrong was I that was several hours, that was what it felt like, that I will never get back

Jennyluck Tue 30-Apr-19 20:52:11

Oh me too, I thought the greatest showman was awful, couldn’t even watch it all the way through. It was like torture.
Fifty shades, was also awful, really badly written, I couldn’t understand the hype. I think the people who liked it, were not avid readers, who appreciate a well written book.

Harris27 Tue 30-Apr-19 19:12:09

Loved fisherman so friends and mama Mia 2 was OK about the greatest showman but not overwhelmed about it got a bit confused what all the hype was about!

Magrithea Tue 30-Apr-19 19:06:34

Never seen it and not that bothered!

My shameful 'not seen' is Titanic which everyone went to see 20 years ago and still like now. I remember watching 'A night to remember' with my Dad years ago and couldn't bring myself to watch another version

Grandmama Tue 30-Apr-19 18:42:59

Never heard of it!!

GabriellaG54 Tue 30-Apr-19 18:21:36

The last films I saw were This Is Cinerama, in Bradford and Top Gun at an outdoor screening at Peckham Rooftop cinema.
I don't much like cinemas.

Rosina Tue 30-Apr-19 18:13:29

Well...I didn't find it very good either. I also got bored with 'Mama Mia' and I haven't seen any episodes of 'Game of Thrones'. Clearly a social misfit and from now on, having admitted this, an outcast.

Sara65 Tue 30-Apr-19 17:22:38

Does ANYONE like LaLa land?