Gransnet forums

Chat

Lifting the spirits

(91 Posts)
NanKate Fri 03-May-19 11:40:21

I’ve been feeling rather down lately but having read some of the very sad situations of our GN members I decided to take myself in hand and improve matters.

I have gone out into the fresh air for a walk each day.
Reduced my time on the internet and returned to reading a book by one of my favourite authors.
Saved the life of a grasshopper who was crawling up the window in the lounge. ?

What do you do to improve your mood ?

Harris27 Sat 04-May-19 09:30:50

Oldandgreyvim the same knit knit knit!it really calms me but I must admit watching telly helps and returning to read old favourite authors. Yes a tonic.

M0nica Sat 04-May-19 09:36:17

I sing to myself (wisest way for me to sing) and start moving briskly.

McGilchrist41 Sat 04-May-19 09:39:38

Lots of good advice here. If I am down, I go to the shops and treat myself. Maybe stay for lunch. However a good walk along the canal in the fresh air is a cheaper option.

red1 Sat 04-May-19 09:39:52

any distraction technique,exercise etc I do chi gung, a bit like tai chi but more of a healing tradition,it helps me a lot.Its also uselful if you can to look at meditation,and a technique which looks at your thought process. good luck

JessK Sat 04-May-19 09:43:48

A long walk or pottering around in the garden.
Also love to curl up with a good book and go to a fitness class.

annep1 Sat 04-May-19 09:45:13

I feel ashamed now reading these. I'm often inclined to wallow and wait for it to pass. Other than that I buy sonething to treat myself or send the children/grandchildren a present. Knowing I've done something nice for then cheers me up. I must try a nice walk next time.

Purplepoppies Sat 04-May-19 09:46:49

Its music for me. Sometimes music I know releases my emotions, and I have a good cry.
Other times music that lifts me and I ding loudly (and out of tune ) to!
Or I put my music (stored in my phone) on shuffle and take pot luck.

kazziecookie Sat 04-May-19 09:47:08

I sing out loud M0nica at the top of my voice. It doesn’t sort my problems out but I enjoy it and the people around me have no choice but to listen.
I have just been doing it a few minutes ago in my guest house dining room whilst cleaning up the dirty dishes and tables (I still cringe though as I pick the greasy/jammy knife off the tablecloth)

Amagran Sat 04-May-19 09:52:35

I look at art books - Matisse with his bright colours especially does it for me and Chagall always makes me smile. To regain a sense of perspective, I get out of the house - it doesn't matter where: garden, shops, countryside, friends etc.

Minerva Sat 04-May-19 09:53:23

DIY and gardening, but really any diversionary activity, even crosswords when I am too exhausted to be on my feet. My son has an aggressive brain tumour and I am so anxious about him and my DIL and GCs that I am beyond miserable if I don’t keep busy. I can’t read; it just doesn’t take me to another place any longer.

Jillsewing Sat 04-May-19 09:58:22

Me too

annsixty Sat 04-May-19 10:05:39

Minerva flowers

Kim19 Sat 04-May-19 10:12:16

First of all, huge thumbs up to you, NanKate, for recognising your wee downer and dealing with it in a practical and simple way. I like your style. I'm fortunate to have a river nearby and I walk the banks regularly. Very calming and enjoyable. I also resort to my garden or the potting shed if weather is inclement. Always mind appeasing stuff to do there. Another resort is my diary where I seek out the next 'fun' appointment and revel in looking forward to the occasion no matter how small. I'm very much a people person so I'd probably use telephone conversations rather than snuggling down with a book. All in all, consider myself really fortunate and sincerely hope things have bucked up for you.

crazyH Sat 04-May-19 10:13:21

Oh Minerva flowers

DanniRae Sat 04-May-19 10:17:53

Minerva - I am so sorry to read about your son flowers

Telly Sat 04-May-19 10:22:51

I like to walk with the dog, she is so happy it's infectious! I also find a visit to the garden centre does the trick - ones that have great floral displays.

Saggi Sat 04-May-19 10:25:53

I’ve got what seems like a never ending sinus infection which I acquired a day after an eye operation.... three weeks of antibiotics later I’m not feeling much better. Been signed off by the surgeon re the eye operation but still suffering with the sinus problem. So I’ve decided to take myself of on a walk every day of about three miles. It near kills me but hopefully doing me some good as well. It certainly lifting my spirits just to be out of the house.Good health everyone.

SillyNanny321 Sat 04-May-19 10:39:48

Looking at all my pics & vids of my lovely Grandchildren then going for a walk by the sea. Come back to put on my music & read a book! Feel better then!

nannypiano Sat 04-May-19 10:44:05

I find baking helps me cheer up. Lovely fruit cake maybe. Eating it cheers me up too. :-).

sandelf Sat 04-May-19 10:53:49

All the already said - and a good blast of www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-qgum7hFXk

Annaram1 Sat 04-May-19 10:55:23

If I feel really low, which thankfully is rare, I open my computer and look at the beautiful photos and videos of the lovely holidays I have had in the past, and now cannot afford, or at least, no so often. Sitting in my sunny garden reading and hearing the birds sing is another cheering thing.

shysal Sat 04-May-19 10:55:51

Like many others I like to be outdoors. My spirits were lifted at the beginning of this week when I heard my first cuckoo of the season and also the cattle appeared in the field behind my house for the first time. The simplest pleasures are sometimes the best.
I hope you will feel brighter Kate

Amagran Sat 04-May-19 10:58:16

Minerva I am so sorry flowers. I am thinking of you.

gillyknits Sat 04-May-19 11:20:36

Doing something for someone else! Amazing how good that makes you feel. Not feeling virtuous at all. Just a warm glow that kindness to others can bring.

gillybob Sat 04-May-19 11:25:20

So sorry to hear your son is so poorly Minerva I am not surprised you can no longer escape in a book. You must be so worried . My thoughts are with you and your family x