Gransnet forums

Chat

home sweet home

(56 Posts)
petunia Sat 04-May-19 18:27:44

Dont you just love those programmes like Grand Designs or the Kirsty and Phil type programmes where a couple have a very strict budget of say £400K.

We drool at the amazing place Phil finds that are just out of budget. We feel their pain when they have to live in a caravan in a muddy field. We hold our breathe when the stress of it all feels just too much.
Then there's the great reveal. Some fabulous, open, stylish, gorgeous house that seems perfect.

Cue Kevin or Phil asking about budget. “Oh we had to go over budget a little bit” they say. “the final cost was somewhere in the region of £550K”
How, exactly, do people find an extra £150K. Even if I looked down the back of the sofa, £150K would be a stretch too far.

M0nica Thu 09-May-19 16:06:39

DS and family live in a traditional 1930s semi. 1 small bedroom, 2 reasonable sized ones and one bathroom. 60 foot of garden. Being an academic is like being a doctor without the pay. Long hours, lots of overtime (unpaid) so income doesn't run to 3 bathrooms and room for the baby's race track.

But they and their children are happy and they muddle through somehow - and that is what really counts. Not big bedrooms and en-suites.

midgey Thu 09-May-19 16:24:06

I like the hundred thousand pound house programme, some really clever ideas.

shysal Thu 09-May-19 16:50:08

M0nica, I brought up my family in a house just like your DS. I certainly didn't feel I was muddling through! I now live in a 2 bedroom terraced house with tiny kitchen and bathroom. It is perfectly adequate for my needs. Today's young people seem to expect to have it all right from the start.

M0nica Thu 09-May-19 18:44:12

shysal, if you saw their house you would understand what i mean about muddling through. DS is the archetypal absent minded professor, picking things up, dropping them anywhere, can never find wallet, keys or phone.

DDiL puts up a sterling fight to try and keep some semblance of order, but it is an uphill battle. The light on the horizon is that DGD is now becoming orderly and complaining about untidyness but DS's capacity for chaos was considered worthy of comment at both schools he went to. I tried, I really tried to encourage order and tidiness. I am an orderly and tidy person myself but I met my match with DS. I was Napoleon to his Wellington.

shysal Thu 09-May-19 19:57:22

smile