Gransnet forums

Chat

Groupon glee

(35 Posts)
GabriellaG54 Tue 07-May-19 18:13:31

I never bother with Groupon but must, at some time, have allowed them to send emails and as I was going out today and they'd sent me three of interest in tbe past few days, I checked them out.
2 were for Tesco and 1 for Primark, each were £5 for a £10 e-voucher.
So my £25.20 Tesco shop cost £15.20 and I bought 2 towels and a bathmat for £5 (£10) from Primark.
I've been ignoring and deleting them for months...silly me.
If you're interested, they're valid for 12 months.
I've used Wowcher to have 3 days in Radisson Blu 4* hotel in Potsdammer Place, superior room BB+ dinner for 2 people. £152.
Anyone else do this?

MawBroonsback Tue 07-May-19 19:03:22

<sigh>
It’s not called “in Potsdammer (sic) Place”, GG
It’s on the Potsdamer (1 x m ) Platz

GabriellaG54 Tue 07-May-19 20:00:12

Get off my back. Find something to do other than b** at me.

MawBroonsback Tue 07-May-19 20:22:43

Berlin was my mother’s home town, I suppose it bothers me when tourists are so cavalier about names.
La Gare Victoria, Piazza de Trafalgar, le pont de Westminster anybody?

MawBroonsback Tue 07-May-19 20:23:47

For “cavalier” read “ignorant”.

leyla Tue 07-May-19 20:33:17

Goodness, MawBroon I think you could have made your point a little more graciously!

Thank you Gabriella for the helpful info. We've had quite a few good deals on Groupon in the past.

MawBroonsback Tue 07-May-19 20:34:22

???

MawBroonsback Tue 07-May-19 20:36:52

I’ll remember about being more gracious next time GabbyG picks me up (again) for missing an apostrophe ??

Elegran Tue 07-May-19 21:11:31

"Don't do as I do, do as I tell you!" must be Gabriella's motto.

GabriellaG54 Tue 07-May-19 21:32:15

Must? Elegran
You know nothing about me so it's best to keep quiet unless you know hard facts.
It's the thread...not the writer of the thread or his, her or it's personality that should be discussed.
There is more information on guidelines/permitted content on GNHQ home page.

GabriellaG54 Tue 07-May-19 21:37:32

5 posts, none of which add to the essence of the thread, all of which are targeted at the OP as a person and nothing to do with the question I posed.

MawBroonsback Tue 07-May-19 21:50:50

It is however a courtesy to get a name right - whether of a person or a place.

MawBroonsback Tue 07-May-19 21:53:54

not the writer of the thread or his, her or it's personality that should be discussed
<whisper> its (no apostrophe ) wink

Tangerine Tue 07-May-19 21:58:11

Sometimes you have to think of the spirit of the law rather than the letter of the law. Perhaps that applies to posts on Gransnet too.

To answer the OP, I don't tend to take much notice of things like Groupon.

Telly Tue 07-May-19 22:19:06

Glad to hear that you have had some success. The only time I used a voucher I ended up with a poor deal as it turned out to be a spray to catch a mackerel!

Cherrytree59 Tue 07-May-19 23:08:31

Have you tried Wowchers GabriellaG54

Out of courtesy I have used your full namesmile

BradfordLass72 Tue 07-May-19 23:23:57

it turned out to be a spray to catch a mackerel

Oh dear Telly you've opened yourself up to critical corrections with that one. grin

Groupon here is quite popular with those who can afford to eat out and stay in hotels. Sadly I don't fall into that category, even with 50% off.

BradfordLass72 Tue 07-May-19 23:27:36

Oh my, more fuel for the fire ! grin

Sadly I don't fall into that category, even with 50% off

Is someone going to tell me the 50% discount applies to the offer and not my good self?

If so, then you don't know me very well. grin grin grin

Maggiemaybe Wed 08-May-19 00:10:19

Yes, I use Groupon deals, Gabriella, and have had some great meals, days out, theatre trips, hairdos etc, sometimes at less than half the price I would normally have paid. Ditto from Travelzoo. For even more savings I go via Topcashback when buying online from M & S, Laura Ashley, Body Shop, Expedia, and other big companies. I’ve had hundreds of pounds worth of cashback over the years. Big savings, free money- what’s not to like? smile

I’ve snapped up the Tesco £10 for £5 deal, but thank you for the heads up on the Primark one, I’ll look online for that.

GabriellaG54 Wed 08-May-19 00:52:50

Maggiemaybe
Hi
I too have bought a Groupon 'hairdo' but I forgot to go ??
I have the Topcashback app and used it last time I switched broadband provider to EE. I got £99 ?
I might add that the Tesco and Primark offers were sent individually and not as part of the emails which have multiple offers in them.
I was really pleased but must admit that Tesco (a superstore) had difficulty scanning the e-vouchers and had to painstakingly input the barcodes. All good in the end. grin
I'd heard of Travelzoo but didn't know it was a money off site. I'll look it up. Thanks.

GabriellaG54 Wed 08-May-19 01:01:32

Cherrytree59
I've heard of them yes and bought a pair of 'baby' lemon and orange trees last year. Packing was a bit bashed but the contents doing fine. I'll replant them into bigger tubs soon...no fruit yet. ???
I sort of 'went off' them a bit as I was getting 6-7 emails a day. Time to look again maybe.
PS. Thanks for the courtesy. winksmile

fatgran57 Wed 08-May-19 01:41:00

GabriellaG54 - I see you have been well and truely Queen-Beed today!!!

Esspee Wed 08-May-19 07:50:15

The sniping on this thread is something that puts me off gransnet, but back to the subject matter.
On Monday we were driving through South West Scotland and discussed the possibility of finding accommodation to spend a few days exploring there in the near future. Tuesday morning an offer popped into my mailbox which I snapped up. We have had some excellent deals over the years but it pays to check review sites such as trip advisor before purchase.

KatyK Wed 08-May-19 09:33:18

We get Groupon emails but I'm never sure how it operates or if it's a 'con'. After reading this thread I will take a closer look.

GabriellaG54 Wed 08-May-19 10:07:32

KatyK
I pay through PayPal (delayed payments) which gives you 2 weeks to decide if you want to keep whatever you've bought or send it back.
PayPal do, in some instances, pay the postage for returns.
There are, of course, other methods of payment but PayPal means that you don't have to give out your card details. The 2 week delayed payment method means that PP pay merchant and only take it from your bank after 14 days.
Happy shopping.