Gransnet forums

Chat

Driving and phones

(47 Posts)
SisterAct Thu 09-May-19 18:29:25

So pleased to see David Beckham banned Can,t believe he hadn’t got Hands free in the Bentley. Even that can be distracting.

Craftycat Fri 10-May-19 11:22:16

Surely hands free is no different than talking to a passenger.
Probably a lot less distracting than having 3 children in the back. I know which I prefer!! You can always turn the phone OFF!

Sparklefizz Fri 10-May-19 11:33:23

Johno It was right that he was grassed up. He could have killed someone.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 10-May-19 11:35:35

He is an ordinary mortal like the rest of us and hopefully he will learn his lesson. When I get in the car I switch my phone off - I don't have the 'fancy stuff'.

varian Fri 10-May-19 11:58:23

There is no excuse for using any phone, even a hands-free phone when you are driving. Research has shown that speaking to a caller is far more dangerous than speaking to a passenger in the car who is aware of road conditions. It causes accidents and should be illegal. If your phone rings, wait till you can park safely and return the call.

Pippa22 Fri 10-May-19 12:04:27

I don’t know if it is true obviously as David Beckham is not my friend but I have heard it said that he has another phone to arrange trysts with his lady friends. I wouldn’t blame him with sourpuss at home.

Bazza Fri 10-May-19 12:07:46

Totally agree phone and cars not a good idea. It amazes me that smoking while driving is legal.

sodapop Fri 10-May-19 12:13:03

I agree children can be as distracting as a phone but not as widely available as a phone.
You are right too varian in that passengers are aware of road conditions and react accordingly. Good to see you back on here, haven't seen you for a while.

Nandalot Fri 10-May-19 12:26:53

A couple of weeks ago we took a taxi. Imagine our faces when we realised the driver was watching a football match on a phone wedged in the dashboard, out if view from any police! Her was quite surly so we did not dare confront him, especially as we did not want to walk as the tail end of ‘Hurricane Hannah’ was raging. We have his reg. but have still done nothing about it. Cowards!

Pat1949 Fri 10-May-19 12:33:31

Just as bad, if not worse, sat navs. Not too bad if it’s just speaking instructions but the distraction of a map on a screen, no. As for texting whilst driving it should carry a two year ban plus a hefty fine.

MaddyB Fri 10-May-19 14:24:59

I think I read he borrowed the Bentley (as you do!) - but poor lamb probably couldn’t work out how to pair his phone to the Bluetooth. So should have just put the phone away and enjoyed the ride.
And I don’t blame someone for shopping him. He has so much but obviously thinks he is above the law.

bikergran Fri 10-May-19 14:38:33

If someone whoever it was "grassed" DB up...then why is it we all cant "grass" people up for using MPhones whilst driving..

I could stand at the end of my road rigt now with my phone and catch/take photos of people clutching their mobiles whilst trying to navigate changing gear going round the round about or what ever.

Number plate/time of date, then check their phone! instant fine seems simple enough.

Also cameras at traffic lights, why cant these capture mobile phone users! hmmm.

NannyC1 Fri 10-May-19 14:55:54

Pippa22 Really so you don't know DB. So I imagine you don't know his wife either then! But feel free to be ok with a man perhaps messing about when he is married. Oh and slag his wife and the mother of his children as well!.Can someone tell me when this became acceptable.

PamelaJ1 Fri 10-May-19 15:03:25

I Think that you probably could do some grassing up!
If you have the time and inclination I’m sure the police would be delighted to hear from you.

M0nica Fri 10-May-19 15:13:27

I just turn my phone off if I am in the car. It lives at the bottom of my hand bag soI would have to stop to fossick in it the find itgrin

Personally, I think any use of a phone in a cr should be banned.

I never found, and still do not find childern a distraction of they ate securely strapped in. In a complicated traffic situation I ignore them.

Nanny41 Fri 10-May-19 15:18:55

Why shouldnt he be banned from driving like anyone else in the same situation, a ban on using mobile phones while driving, is a ban.
I have hands free and dont enjoy it, I may answer but never try to call anyone, the phone book is so complicated I darent use it and drive, anyway calls can wait.

sodapop Fri 10-May-19 15:19:19

Lovely word 'fossick' never heard it before MOnica smile

Saggi Fri 10-May-19 18:02:45

Septimia.... what a nasty thing to say. At least he turned up to his court appearance. Bet he’s crying at your comment all the way to the bank! And no I’m not a. Man Utd supporter. C’mon you Spurs.

Ellie Anne Fri 10-May-19 18:40:45

Ailsa mine does that too.

Lazigirl Fri 10-May-19 18:59:56

The latest stats I could find were 33 deaths caused by drivers using mobile phones 2017. Figures are not kept for the many accidents caused by mobile phone use. All I can say is that I think many affected by these deaths and injuries would have been glad for someone to "grass" on the offending individual before someone was killed.

Septimia Mon 13-May-19 13:14:51

t wasn't my intention to be nasty, Saggi, merely tongue-in-cheek. TBH, David Beckham doesn't strike me as the sharpest knife in the box but, give him his due, his behaviour generally is far better than that of a lot of so-called celebrities. But we all know that driving while on the phone is illegal, so there's no excuse.
I agree with others that hands-free can be just as distracting - and I wouldn't know how to set it up either.
And no, I don't use the phone, hands-free or otherwise, when I'm driving - not because I'm a goody-goody but because my mobile is for emergencies and family texts only.

SirChenjin Mon 13-May-19 13:22:30

Great to see the courts treating DB as any other driver - there is no excuse for not using your hands free kit, but these calls should be kept to an absolute minimum in my opinion - a 'home in 5' type call.

My inner gossip does wonder who he was calling from a mobile which wasn't connected to the car thing grin