Gransnet forums

Chat

Driving and phones

(46 Posts)
SisterAct Thu 09-May-19 18:29:25

So pleased to see David Beckham banned Can,t believe he hadn’t got Hands free in the Bentley. Even that can be distracting.

kittylester Thu 09-May-19 18:37:24

I was confused by that, too. Even my very much cheaper car has it.

Septimia Thu 09-May-19 18:40:23

Perhaps he doesn't know how to set up hands-free grin

Calendargirl Thu 09-May-19 18:44:13

Victoria will have to chauffeur him about!

sodapop Thu 09-May-19 18:47:49

I think even hands free phones are distracting. It should not be beyond the wit of car manufacturers to block the signal whilst the car engine is running. Won't happen though will it.

Charleygirl5 Thu 09-May-19 18:48:22

Good to see he is not above the law.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 09-May-19 19:10:33

Bentleys do have hands free facilities.

aggie Thu 09-May-19 19:13:05

DD turns here phone to message , it tells callers and texters that she is driving and will get back to them when she stops , she won't take a chance on distractions

annodomini Thu 09-May-19 20:20:22

I should think that DB will be well able to afford a chauffeur (or chauffeuse) while he's disqualified.

maryeliza54 Thu 09-May-19 20:58:08

He would have been disqualified already if he hadn’t weasled his way out of that last speeding offence.

Bathsheba Thu 09-May-19 21:02:40

It should not be beyond the wit of car manufacturers to block the signal whilst the car engine is running.

Won't happen because it would not only block the driver's signal, but any passengers' signals too, which would not be very popular!

crazyH Thu 09-May-19 21:11:39

This is why I hate going with my daughter anywhere. She is constantly on the phone, handsfree I admit, but how on earth can anyone concentrate on the road and discusss work projects at the same time ?

GrannyGravy13 Thu 09-May-19 21:12:02

It may also block sat-nav and radio.

Children and other passengers in cars are also distractions will they be banned?

sodapop Thu 09-May-19 21:34:35

Yes definitely children Grannygravy

KatyK Thu 09-May-19 22:28:09

Beckham thought he was above the law. Arrogant.

Ailsa43 Thu 09-May-19 22:36:29

My mobile phone won't ring when I'm driving, it blocks with a message saying ''you won't receive calls while you're driving'', and that is the same whether I'm driving, a passenger, or even on any moving vehicle like the train or the tube .

I have to physically click a button telling the phone ''I'm not driving'' when I'm travelling as a passenger or on public transport so it allows calls to come in...

sodapop Fri 10-May-19 09:06:39

That's good Ailsa sadly a great number of people are not responsible enough to use that facility.

Sparklefizz Fri 10-May-19 09:35:07

Beckham had the cheek to plead to keep his licence because he needed to drive for the school run!!

gillybob Fri 10-May-19 09:39:19

Maybe he deliberately doesn’t have “that one” connected to Bluetooth...... hmm

CrazyGrandma2 Fri 10-May-19 09:51:57

I call it Karma for having weaselled out of the speeding fine. Now he knows he's not above the law - just like the rest of us!

ninathenana Fri 10-May-19 09:57:29

Ailsa I like that idea. I didn't know there were phones with that facility.

jaylucy Fri 10-May-19 10:01:43

The number of times, when calling people from my workplace that I realise they are driving as I'm talking to them. Don't think I have ever had one person say they can't talk because they are driving as soon as they answer the phone!

Johno Fri 10-May-19 10:02:33

He was grassed up. Shocking that people deem it OK to report a person to the police for such behaviour. Sadly British society is going down the pan in a handcart. Those same people do not have the nuance to grasp the fiddling by MPs and other rotten behaviour.

Applegran Fri 10-May-19 10:17:53

I agree that even hands free phone calls are very distracting when you are driving. This thread has reminded me of a true story my mother told me , from when cars began to be more common (early 20th century). Someone she knew said "I never speak to the driver - not even when he speaks to me!"
This always makes me laugh - imagine the baffled frustration of the driver, when he gets no response to a polite question!

arosebyanyothername Fri 10-May-19 11:02:17

My phone knows when I'm in a car. When I'm a passenger I have to click on 'I'm not driving' to use it.
Have no idea how it got there, must have been an update.
I would never attempt to use it whilst driving anyway but it's a good idea