Gransnet forums

Chat

RIP Gransnetters?

(36 Posts)
schnackie Sun 12-May-19 10:59:51

Sorry to start a 'downer' discussion, and maybe this has been addressed before - if so please advise me where to look. I am currently a healthy 67 year old, but my daughter and I often speak about death in a low-key, sometimes jokey but often just matter-of-fact way. Recently she said that when I die she would post it on Facebook, as I have lived in several different countries and she does not know all my friends. Then she asked how she would let Gransnetters know! I'm not sure they would want to! But the reason she asked is because she knows how much I treasure this site, and I quote from it very often and I found myself wishing there was a way we would be informed if / when our virtual dear friends die. Any ideas?

Kim19 Mon 13-May-19 11:49:29

Other than those who physically meet up, I see the demise of those on here as sad but 'unimportant' (I confess to not finding a more accurate word for my thinking) and certainly do not expect to be missed for a moment. This is a decidedly enjoyable outlet. I like it a lot but....... it is virtual. We can make it real if we so choose in many instances but I rather like the concepts and images I have of members based on their contributions here. Interesting............ to

PamGeo Mon 13-May-19 11:54:21

I'm fairly new to gransnet and I sometimes feel like I'm eavesdropping on conversations when I'm not in a position to respond for one reason or another. I like the chatty opinionated woman (and an occasional male) that I've stumbled across on here and you've helped me enormously with some of my worries and life dilemmas .... what size underwear for example. I'd miss you, some more than others wink but I'm sure I would just keep an eye on the chats from another virtual reality when I've gone

ReadyMeals Mon 13-May-19 12:32:58

You can assign another Google account holder who has rights to access your account if you don't log in for a certain amount of time - the time that would be reasonable to assume you were dead or dying. This person can then find out quite a lot about your contacts if you use Google contacts lists. In my case I have left my PC password with my husband and from there he can see my stored account details and passwords for all the sites I use.

jenpax Mon 13-May-19 12:43:20

I genuinely can’t see that I would be missed if I didn’t post on here for several weeks or months as I rarely if ever get any comments made to anything I put. I am fine with this and think that if I die I wouldn’t expect my DDs to notify social media

vissos Mon 13-May-19 13:01:54

If you leave your login details for a pre-arranged person to announce your demise, that should stop the fake news (unless, maybe, you fell out). But would they be able to read your previous posts? I don't know if that is possible. But maybe make that person someone you've never made a derogatory comment about, just in case.
I have written my death announcement as a draft email. When I pop off, a friend will log on to my account & send it to the pre-filled eddresses. I've just got to make sure I don't press 'send' by mistake ?
Hmm, maybe I should put the eddresses in the body of the email instead.
As my social life is almost exclusively on Facebook, I expect it will be on there too.
Must fill in my AgeUK book. Been meaning to do that for ages!

Urmstongran Mon 13-May-19 13:44:04

Oh I don’t knowjenpax
??

crazyH Mon 13-May-19 13:49:31

Really Jenpax?

Nanny41 Mon 13-May-19 15:46:28

I have thought of this, how to let friends GN and others all over the world, when the enevitable happens, there are some good ideas here,I think leaving some information to be found easily is a good idea.Its nice to know what has happened when somebody doesnt write any more.

annep1 Mon 13-May-19 18:53:58

I'm with Kim. Unless you've met and made friends it doesn't really matter.

GreenGran78 Tue 14-May-19 18:23:44

I have made out a list of people to be notified, when the time comes. I don’t think that I will be missed on Gransnet though.
When my son stated that he will be away in France, camping with his Scout troop, for my 81st birthday next year I said that I might have ‘popped off’ by then. The reply was a firm, “You are not going anywhere!” I suppose I must do as I’m told!