Gransnet forums

Chat

Dreading turning 60 tomorrow

(112 Posts)
MarieLL59 Thu 16-May-19 23:12:31

Sorry this is a very self indulgent post. I’m 60 tomorrow and I feel very scared about the future. I feel that it’s all downhill from now on. For me this is worse than turning 40 or 50. Please don’t berate me because I realise the alternative is obviously worse, plus many people aren’t lucky enough to get to 60. I’m divorced, single with grown up children and grandchildren, I work full time as a nurse. So nothing to be miserable about etc, but I can’t believe i’m 60!! In my head i’m actually 22 so I feel there must be some mistake! The good thing about being this age is the insight I now seem to have, plus I know some pretty fabulous post 60 ladies, but that hasn’t helped me stop the feeling that time is running out for me. I would be really grateful if anyone could tell me if they felt the same, and does it get better?

Tish Fri 17-May-19 19:45:07

It’s only a number....

Grandmama Fri 17-May-19 18:56:48

Got my bus pass at 60, retired at 65, now 71 but 18 in my head (and in behaviour at times). I'm lucky, in very good health, have time and energy for lots of activities, meeting up with friends etc. Sadly DH not so good health-wise so it's as well I retired when I did. I loved my job but I'm loving my retirement.smile

SalsaQueen Fri 17-May-19 18:46:24

I was 60 a month ago but had a lovely birthday, with my family (sons, their partners, my husband, grandchildren). I felt really elderly for a couple of weeks, but then actually realised that when I compare myself to some people my age, I'm doing alright!

I don't look 60 - I've been told that- I colour my hair, ALWAYS wear a full face of make-up, I keep fairly fit by going to Zumba and aerobics. (I'm overweight but tackling that)I'm not on any tablets other than antidepressants, so I must be OK.

60 isn't old, nor does it mean that life is going downhill. Many people don't get to 60 or are in poor health.

Bridgeit Fri 17-May-19 18:38:12

Yes it does get better, but only if you let. Best wishes

Harris27 Fri 17-May-19 18:28:25

I'm 59 and will be 60 next January I have a little time to think about it but feel as long I'm healthy and keep fit I'll be grateful to be 60! Embrace it!

Skinnylizzie Fri 17-May-19 17:43:33

Just celebrated my 60th - if you’re 22 in your head enjoy it. It’s just another day really. Try to embrace it. I’ve loved my free transport pass, had a lovely family party and I am of to Bali on Thursday to continue the celebration with my son and his family who live in Brunei. My business class ticket was a present to myself!! I feel more liberated and much happier than when I was 50!! ?

Quickdraw Fri 17-May-19 17:22:34

Like you I really struggled when I turned 60. I was surprised by this because no other milestone had ever bothered me. Still not sure what it was that bothered me particularly about that age. There is no longevity in my family so perhaps subconsciously that was part of it and i had recently lost a younger sibling. At the moment, 18 months later, I appreciate that I have some time left, I can work and I'm mobile and can spend a lot of time with family. All of these are very important to me. Focus on what is important to you and enjoy the time you have. 60 is not old for most people smile

Skynnylynny Fri 17-May-19 17:21:19

I didn’t mind turning 60 or even 70 but when my eldest child turned 50 I couldn’t believe I had a child that old!

Yellowmellow Fri 17-May-19 16:01:34

MarieLL59 I felt exactly the same as you. I got used to the idea, and work even harder now with healthy eating and doing some exercise, just to keep everything moving. That feeling came back when I reached 65 and 2 weeks ago got my first pension! Like you still working. This feeling will settle down, enjoy your 60th birthday.

Annaram1 Fri 17-May-19 15:24:37

BlueSapphire, you are a girl after my own heart. Long may we both travel!
And the same to all other Grans. Embrace life, seize it with both hands. Run with it!
Birthdays are to be enjoyed, not matter how many you have. Where is the great Bijou today? She admitted to 96 recently. Because of her advice I now have a bit of Guinness every day. Its ghastly, but I may get used to it, if I live long enough.

luluaugust Fri 17-May-19 15:24:33

Happy Birthday, you will always be 22 in your head, so am I, a decade older than you

grandtanteJE65 Fri 17-May-19 15:23:33

Happy Birthday! Enjoy being 60 and feeling 22.

You are now starting the era where you can please yourself, or at least will be able to when you retire.

I'm 67 now and loving this decade. It is definitely not all downhill from now on.

mamaa Fri 17-May-19 15:20:56

Firstly A very happy birthday to you Marie wine flowers. Secondly I too can identify as I shall be 60 in July and it does feel different to the other birthdays ending in a 0 somehow. However...
I have never gone in for big parties for 'significant' birthdays so in that regard turning 60 will be similar-that said, I do like to do something 'different', something never done before so they are memorable- at 40 I went up in a hot air balloon, at 50 I went to see Take That! For 60 we have booked to go to Jersey for a few days...for 70 who knows what could be in store!
I am trying to persuade my DH to agree to us going on a trip to Oz soon, or New England 'in the Fall', as I think that now is the time for us to go places we've not yet experienced while we can; we are both retired and it is our time.
That's the attitude I've decided to adopt, rightly or wrongly, putting us first for a change, now and again. So Marie I would say embrace today and look on it as a start of a new and exciting chapter, after all you're only in your early 20's...smile

Theoddbird Fri 17-May-19 14:59:59

I turned my life around in my 60s...love my life. I don't feel 68....

Have a wonderful birthday... You will feel no different than today at 59.

NannyC1 Fri 17-May-19 14:31:24

Oh Grannieknot I love that So that means I m 54?

Flossieturner Fri 17-May-19 14:30:00

Are there things that you would like to do in life but have not. Could you think about entering your 60s as freedom to do what you want. Last year I was 70 and I got my first ever dog. Something I had wanted all my life. I spent a huge chunk of my savings on a complete garden make-over. I had wanted to do for the past 10 years but DH objected. Finally, I stopped going to the hairdresser. I hated the hairdressers and have let my hair go grey and long. It looked horrendous for ages but I did not care.

I now believe at 70, I have the freedom to do what I like. No-one depends on me any more . I have moved to the stage of being helped rather than being the helper and I love it.

pce612 Fri 17-May-19 14:20:35

Age is an attitude, not a number. I am 68 but still feel 23.
Happy birthday for tomorrow.

sodapop Fri 17-May-19 13:57:06

Happy Birthday Marie winethanks

I think each decade makes us stop to take stock of our lives. Don't worry about this one, there is plenty of life left to live. I was your age when I remarried and moved to France. Fourteen years later life is good, so much to enjoy and be grateful for. Don't waste time worrying get out there and live.

Edithb Fri 17-May-19 13:56:04

I will be 70 next month and never been happier as I have lots of activities and plans so rarely stay at home. It took me six months after I retired at 63 to find a new way of life but now I would never go back.

EMMF1948 Fri 17-May-19 13:45:39

I'm 70 in a couple of weeks and it's like..... Who...me ??

When out recently I referred to 'that old woman over there' in a conversation with OH. I was horrified when he said 'she's probably younger that you!', I'm 71 but the only time I realise it is when I look in the mirror! The grandchildren were very proud of Grandma on all the big rides at Disney.

Molly10 Fri 17-May-19 13:34:32

Happy Birthday, Marie.

Enjoy it, it's just another day and another life number. If you are feeling apprehensive and think things are going to be drastically different or go downhill then you need to control the irrational fear.

Make yourself a list of what you would like to achieve and set about achieving, no matter how small.

A friend had similar doldrem fears approaching that age so set about sorting herself out. This included getting fitter and healthier. Losing some weight and feeling better about herself she gained much more confidence. She then started to get involved in things outside of her safe zone. She has recently returned from an extensive tour of Asia with a partner, which was never on the cards two years ago. She is also starting a new nursing job soon and there is much more to look forward to on her list.

Enjoy. x flowers wine

Greciangirl Fri 17-May-19 13:22:30

Well, I am nearly 74, and unfortunately it is all downhill. Especially when you hit 70. That’s when you realise there is no going back, it is literally all downhill from then on.

When I hit 60, I felt and looked quite youthful.
Forward 14 years and it’s a different cup of tea.
I can’t kid myself any longer.
I’ve also noticed my arms are very wrinkly.
I still dye my hair which makes a difference to how I look. But am wondering just how much longer I can get away with doing that.
So Mariell59. Rejoice in being 60. I wish I was.

Hm999 Fri 17-May-19 12:59:31

Happy Birthday and many, many happy returns

grove1234 Fri 17-May-19 12:34:23

60 was fantastic and life since better every day .

PernillaVanilla Fri 17-May-19 12:27:55

Yes, being 60 was great fun ( now 62) lovely when the train conductor does a double take at your senior rail card. I felt that retirement was not too far away, that it was time to get fit, start new things etc. etc. Not all has gone to plan but so far I'm really enjoying this decade.