Gransnet forums

Chat

Full of good intentions but failed at the first hurdle

(29 Posts)
Flossieturner Thu 23-May-19 21:28:05

I decided that I should eat a bit healthier and do my bit to save the planet. So feeling smug and virtuous I bought 2 vegetarian cook books from the Charity Shop.

That was a month ago. So far the only thing I have made from them is a chocolate refrigerator cake. It needed butter , eggs, sugar, 8 oz of chocolate and a packet of digestive biscuits. It was blooming lovely.

Luckygirl Thu 23-May-19 21:29:15

Sounds yummy - and seriously healthy!

merlotgran Thu 23-May-19 21:33:23

Your plan has a certain weakness. grin

Flossieturner Thu 23-May-19 21:51:42

Bit like one of Baldrick’s plan

MiniMoon Thu 23-May-19 22:25:49

Eating more healthily! I keep trying to begin again, on the 5:2 diet. I started on Tuesday, but made the mistake of calling to see DD and family. Youngest grandson begged to come for a sleepover, so I had to give him supper. I made frittata and potato waffles. I had to eat them. I'll try again tomorrow.

GabriellaG54 Thu 23-May-19 23:13:58

We've all been there MiniMoon ????
There's always mañana.
I bought a cookery book in Scope today 'Sweet Treats', but I'm not eating sugar or sweet stuff. sad

Grammaretto Fri 24-May-19 00:51:29

How I sympathise....the road to hell and all that. I had fresh fruit salad for pud tonight. How virtuous. But I had 3 large helpings and that was after 2 helpings of spag bol and salad.

crazyH Fri 24-May-19 00:56:00

I am definitely on the road to hell..watching a movie and went down for a super ham roll . Never go to sleep on an empty stomach.....didn't someone say that ? ?

BradfordLass72 Fri 24-May-19 03:36:23

My favourite cookbook is 'Laurel's Kitchen' - I've cooked from this book since 1979.

It was bought when my family were vegetarian but I have to admit our day-to-day meals were very simple fare: boiled or scrambled eggs; salads; beans, tomato, mushrooms or egg on toast; spaghetti with cheese and tomato sauce; chips very occasionally (the children would have had them every day) and just a simple plate of mixed vegetables with a vegie gravy.
Not a nut cutlet in sight!

The meals from Laurel's Kitchen were weekend treats.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laurel%27s_Kitchen

BlueBelle Fri 24-May-19 07:43:51

I don’t use cookbooks as I ve never got a fraction of the ingredients and that feels frustrating so I just cook my normal bits and pieces and up the veg content and leave the meat out or use Quorn I don’t call myself a vegetarian as Im not reading labels to see if there’s anything meat based in it (bovril, gravy etc) so I d say for this year I m a non meat eater and see how it goes

sodapop Fri 24-May-19 07:50:03

My daughter and her partner are visiting soon and are vegetarian. It's going to be a bit of a struggle eating out here in rural France, non meat eaters are regarded with suspicion.

Marilla Fri 24-May-19 08:11:22

Oh Flossieturner, you have made me laugh out loud!
Love it! ?

Karanlouise Fri 24-May-19 09:44:20

That's made me feel hungry, sounds lovely. smile

polnan Fri 24-May-19 10:17:27

manana love that... I like food!

pamdixon Fri 24-May-19 10:17:38

do you want to share the recipe with us?! Sounds perfect for the weekend.................

Niucla97 Fri 24-May-19 10:52:42

Yes but you can't win can you? Four years ago I was referred to a gastroenterologist even though the GP said it was down to stress following the death of my husband a couple of years previously.

I thought I was eating healthily was told that I had fructose malabsorption (turns out I had hernia!) due to the fact that I was eating too much fruit! I used to have fruit with my breakfast, fruit with or after my lunch and always finished evening meal off with a bowl of fruit. Apparently we now take in over three times more fructose syrup than our live can cope with. Eat no more than three pieces of fruit a day.

So like out DR once said no such thing as a diet just a variety of natural food in moderation no low fat , low sugar etc just good wholesome food.

quizqueen Fri 24-May-19 10:53:04

Chocolate is not a vegetable, unfortunately!

Franbern Fri 24-May-19 10:57:34

Not sure why vegetarian cook books should be any more healthy than non-vegetarian ones. Human beings are designed to include flesh in their diets, and, like all foods, provided it is not in excess, is very healthy.
Our main problems these days is not so much WHAT we eat, as HOW MUCH. Portion sizes do need to be cut back to much smaller than we have become used to.
Also, our far more sedentary life styles do not help with keeping/getting weight off. When it was much more normal to walk everywhere, then our calorie intake could be that much more.
Does seem sad that whilst the First World has so many problems with excess eating so much of the world still suffer from starvation.

Flossieturner Fri 24-May-19 11:07:52

We have had a lot of discussions about meat eating, the planet and farming methods in the family My children have cut a lot of meat out of their diets. Like me they are not vegetarian, they just eat less meat than before. I started cutting out meat because I was having digestive problems. As I started to cut down, I found that I stopped enjoying meat so much. Now it is something I only buy rarely.

My weight problem is the opposite of most people as I have to eat to put weight on. I have found that, by enjoying the food I eat and no digestive problems, I have managed to raise by BMI to an acceptable level.

Flossieturner Fri 24-May-19 11:20:39

Chocolate Refridgerator Cake Recipe for those that asked for it.
8oz unsalted butter
I tablespoon sugar, Barbadian in book but I used soft brown
2 eggs separated
8oz Plain chocolate
2 tablespoon Sherry or Rum. I left this out
8oz wholemeal or digestive biscuits lightly crushed. I left some pieces quite large to give is an extra bite
I also added nuts, which were not in the recipe

Cream butter and sugar then beat in the egg yolks.
Melt the chocolate and add the alcohol if using.
Add the chocolate and broken biscuits to the mix
I added the nuts at this point too
Whip the egg whites until stiff but not dry and fold into the mixture.
Then either put the mix into a tin or spoon individual blobs onto a baking sheet.
Refrigerate until firm. About 20 minutes.

GreenGran78 Fri 24-May-19 11:31:27

Since my husband died, I eat a lot less meat. Unfortunately, I also eat less vegetables, which I have never been fond of. I dislike cooking, and tend to do something quick and easy, now that I cater only for myself.
I do like vegetable soup, though, which is strange. I make a large pot, freeze portions, and have some most days. I also like a bowl of citrus fruit for my breakfast, so I hope that I am getting enough Vitamin C in my diet.
Your cake sounds delicious, Flossieturner. I no longer bake, and try to avoid buying cake, biscuits and chocolate, as I know that I will make a pig of myself with them. I do succumb occasionally though.

lindiann Fri 24-May-19 12:02:19

Flossieturner Fri 24-May-19 11:20:39
Chocolate Refridgerator Cake Recipe for those that asked for it
Are the eggs alright not cooked? how long does it last in fridge?

Blinko Fri 24-May-19 12:24:51

I've recently mothballed all my cookery books since I discovered Pinterest. Just type in whatever your main ingredient happens to be and it come sup with all manner of ways to cook it. Simples!

Blinko Fri 24-May-19 12:25:15

...comes up...hmm

Flossieturner Fri 24-May-19 13:03:53

I wondered about the eggs but it was fine. As I am the only one to eat it I froze some. That is why I made small dollops rather than a big cake. I think it would last a couple of weeks in a cold fridge. It anyone is pregnant or allergic I would tell them it contains raw egg.