Gransnet forums

Chat

Just how?

(54 Posts)
annsixty Tue 28-May-19 13:07:58

There is a report in the DT on how the wife of a convicted Azerbaijani banker spent £16 million in Harrods .
The list is just incredible but the thing thar that absolutely makes me gasp is that she spent £53,000 in the sandwich bar in just one day??
Just how is this possible.
I have just had the last of Sunday's joint in two slices of wholemeal.

Apricity Thu 30-May-19 03:57:15

The last time I was in Harrods (and it will be the last time) it was full of the most tasteless, ugly, pretentious rubbish you could imagine complete with stratospheric pricetags. It was quite obvious that the target market was what Aussies would call "cashed up bogans".

I know Harrods won't miss my modest expenditure but it was rather sad to see an iconic British retail institution so completely trashed.

Franbern Thu 30-May-19 08:45:34

Back in 1972 I went with friend and several small children for a mooch around Harrods. Used the loo there to breastfeed my youngest.
When I got home I realised that my 3-year old had left behind his much-loved, constantly cuddled, comfort toy. This was (had been) a blue furry covered kitty - which, over the three years had become thread bare, and looked quite disreputable.
He cried himself to sleep, and I phoned the store (I knew he had put it down in the toy dept.), they found it, (I imagine then picking it up with tongs)!!!
BUT all credit to them, they put it into a Harrods bag, and this was delivered by one of their vans to my home in Loughton, Essex the following day.
Felt quite posh to see that van pull up - that was the old Harrods, do not suppose such service would happen then days.

Jaxie Thu 30-May-19 10:29:10

Lemongrove: not the Queen, who is known to be parsimonious. I once read that in the thirties the royal family was using nappies dating from the reign of William IV!