Gransnet forums

Chat

Fate!

(39 Posts)
dragonfly46 Tue 04-Jun-19 10:53:57

Does anyone else believe in fate?
I was having a really bad day on Sunday.
We are planning to go to London and Brighton for my birthday in the middle of June and I had bought the train tickets to London. I was fretting because my DH's hip has flared up again and he can hardly walk. I was so low as my DD and DS had both invited us and I was really looking forward to it. I could not see though how I was going to get DH there.
My DD then asked if we could have the dog for a couple of weeks after my birthday. Not a problem as I love having him but it would mean going to London by car so we could bring him back.
But I had bought non-refundable tickets. However, I sent an email to the train company who have very kindly refunded the tickets as a one off and now the problem is solved as I can at least get DH to London if not to Brighton.
Feeling much better now!

BradfordLass72 Tue 04-Jun-19 11:11:19

Sometimes life can be so good to you, can't it ? smile

Sara65 Tue 04-Jun-19 11:55:55

Isn’t it lovely to have something go right!

EllanVannin Tue 04-Jun-19 12:21:31

Fate has seen me through on lots of occasions so it's no surprise that I'm a strong believer in it.

Nonnie Tue 04-Jun-19 12:25:33

Happy for you

Squiffy Tue 04-Jun-19 13:05:52

Lovely to read about such good news. smile

GabriellaG54 Tue 04-Jun-19 22:29:13

Several decades ago one Easter Sunday morning, when some of my now AC were children, the eldest, who worked and lived away had not visited for quite some time.
I said to the others that the day would be perfect if only 'X' was home and honestly, at that moment a knock was heard.
One if the children answered and it was indeed 'X' who was astonished by our reactions, jumping and hugging and I was crying. It seemed like a miracle.
I'm very sentimental about my children and I can exactly picture that moment.

GabriellaG54 Tue 04-Jun-19 22:30:28

One if One of

BradfordLass72 Wed 05-Jun-19 06:33:27

GabriellaG54 Aww, what a lovely story. I'm sentimental about my boys as well - sometimes to my cost.

Willow500 Wed 05-Jun-19 06:56:54

I'm a great believer in fate - so many things have happened in our lives which whilst possibly upsetting/annoying/bewildering at the time turned out to be meant to be!

If my husband's best friend hadn't missed his bus 50 years ago this Sept we would never have ended up together smile

Sara65 Wed 05-Jun-19 07:01:19

I remember my father in law saying when things didn’t go as we hoped, that it wasn’t meant to be, and he was usually right, I say it to my children now

It’s strange, that so often fate steps in to stop you making a mistake!

harrigran Wed 05-Jun-19 09:57:57

I think my sister believes in fate, she saw a house she wanted to buy but was a little short of the required deposit, she won the town lottery that weekend and realised her dream of owning the house.

KatyK Wed 05-Jun-19 10:04:27

I've told this story before so apologies if it's boring. When I was 16 I met a boy and was 'in love'. I was brought up a staunch Catholic and in those days I used to pray. I prayed every night 'please God let me marry ....' and the boy's name. Now this wasn't a common name by any means. Well obviously it fizzled out and a few years later I met my DH. Guess what? He has the same name, Christian and surname smile Not sure if that's fate

BusterTank Wed 05-Jun-19 10:20:18

I'm a true believer things happen for a reason and at the time , we some times don't understand why . I also believe what goes around comes around .

ptak5566 Wed 05-Jun-19 10:31:12

True believer in fate, things do happen for a reason! Hope you have a great time together x

PamGeo Wed 05-Jun-19 10:36:20

I'm a believer

PamGeo Wed 05-Jun-19 10:38:56

I believe we are where we're meant to be in life and we impact on the lives of those we're meant to and vice versa. Things kinda work out as they are suppose to but we still have to get on with living life

inishowen Wed 05-Jun-19 10:43:47

Last week I had a letter from the hospital saying my bowel tests were a concern. I am worried of course. Then the same day I got a phone call from a Womans magazine to say I'd won a short break. For that to happen on the same day was probably a coincidence but it made me feel heaps better.

Framilode Wed 05-Jun-19 10:53:36

I often used to think about my primary teacher in Uganda. For some reason she made a big impression on me and I could remember a lot of the things she said to us.

Anyway, fast forward 60+ years and I'm living in a small rural village in Spain. At the book club I joined I remet her. She was well into her 90,s but as sharp as a tack. It took a bit of time to put two and two together and realise it was the same lady but we got there. To me that was fate.

Aepgirl Wed 05-Jun-19 11:14:46

A positive post, at last. I get so fed up with the ranting and moaning and groaning on GN.

Cherrytree59 Wed 05-Jun-19 11:25:55

Glad that fate chose
to smile down on you dragonfly

My bit of fate was due to my doctor running extremely late.
I had been upset that due to me being unwell, I had not been able to visit my cousin and her husband, who we are extremely close to.
My cousins husband was terminally ill.

Whilst waiting to eventually see my doctor, the son of our friend/cousin arrived to have a word with the reception.
He told me the sad news that they had just been informed that his DF had only couple of days at the most.
Had my doctor been on time, I would have not have been prepared or able pass my love on.

Two days later I awoke at 07:50 am, I called my cousin a couple hours later she told me that her DH had died at 7:50 that morningsad

pamdixon Wed 05-Jun-19 11:35:00

nothing like looking after a dog to make you feel better too! I often look after my daughter's dog, and loads of walking does wonders for all my achey bits (knees/hips) so maybe that will be a positive and help your husband as well? Karma of some kind?

winterwhite Wed 05-Jun-19 11:38:35

What is the difference between fate and coincidence?

dragonfly46 Wed 05-Jun-19 11:42:59

Maybe coincidence but I am a great believer in the fact that sometimes things are just meant to be. I like to believe there is a reason for some things happening even bad things and there is some good in everything.

MooM00 Wed 05-Jun-19 12:09:48

A few years ago my sister then only working partime a few hours a week agreed to be a guarantor for her daughter and son in law to get a loan. Things were going well for a while her son in law was making the payments. Then her daughter died of cancer last November. He had to give up his job to look after his wife and could not pay the loan. My sister received lots of nasty letters to say she had to pay as she was the guarantor. She was beside herself as she was now not working so had no money, only her pension. Her son in law went back to work for a few months and was able to pay. Then disaster struck he died a few weeks ago. My sister was beside herself with worry and then close to breakdown the letters kept coming to say she now had to pay. She stayed with me last week for a few days but she was in such a terrible state. I said to her tongue in cheek, it will all work out don't worry but I couldnt console her. This morning a family friend had stepped in who new a barrister who intervened and low and behold she received a letter from the loan company that they had written off the loan due to the unfortunate circumstances the family had gone through. A very hard lesson to learn as this company did not do any checks on my sisters finances, also no checks to see if she owned her own home which she didn't or had any savings which she hasn't. She just thought she was helping her family ?????????