Gransnet forums

Chat

Fate!

(40 Posts)
dragonfly46 Tue 04-Jun-19 10:53:57

Does anyone else believe in fate?
I was having a really bad day on Sunday.
We are planning to go to London and Brighton for my birthday in the middle of June and I had bought the train tickets to London. I was fretting because my DH's hip has flared up again and he can hardly walk. I was so low as my DD and DS had both invited us and I was really looking forward to it. I could not see though how I was going to get DH there.
My DD then asked if we could have the dog for a couple of weeks after my birthday. Not a problem as I love having him but it would mean going to London by car so we could bring him back.
But I had bought non-refundable tickets. However, I sent an email to the train company who have very kindly refunded the tickets as a one off and now the problem is solved as I can at least get DH to London if not to Brighton.
Feeling much better now!

dragonfly46 Wed 05-Jun-19 12:42:24

Gosh that’s a very sad tale MooMoo I am so sorry for your sister.

Skye17 Wed 05-Jun-19 13:14:14

I’m glad that happened for you, Dragonfly. I don’t think there is such a thing as fate. I think that for things to happen because it has been decided that they would, there would have to be a mind making the decisions. Didn’t the Ancient Greeks think there were three goddesses called the Fates? If not a god or goddess, who does the deciding?

I think there is God and there is also chance.

sharon103 Wed 05-Jun-19 13:50:09

I'm a great believer in fate. I've experienced it a few times.

blondenana Wed 05-Jun-19 14:09:01

KatyK That sent a shiver down my spine, i do believe in fate what a lovely story,it was meant to be for you, but not with the man you hoped to begin with, but obviously the first one wasn;t mean to be

3dognight Wed 05-Jun-19 14:09:49

Yes I believe in fate, coincidence....I also think my mother intervenes from the 'other side' so to speak.

She died when I was in my thirties, I used to see her standing by my bed in her best Mac and handbag on arm,,but she hasn't been in an age. I must be doing ok now!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 05-Jun-19 14:12:26

It's marvellous that this has turned out all right. Sometimes you feel as though fate is conspiring against you, then things can turn round and it's such a relief.

Legs55 Wed 05-Jun-19 14:33:22

BusterTank I couldn't have put it better, my life has been full of twists & turns but each part good or bad has led to something else, I'm now in a good place, happy & contented with lifesmile. I'm not wealthy but have my lovely family close by.

Jani31 Wed 05-Jun-19 14:42:06

Been looking at 2 bedroom houses for several years, walked past the estate agent and a over 55 park home. That was 4 weeks ago, now the proud owner. I knew there was a reason why I said no to the others. Also love Karma x

dragonfly46 Wed 05-Jun-19 14:51:15

Jani you story reminds me of when we were living in Holland. We were renting having let our house in London. My parents were on holiday in Spain and got talking to a Dutch couple there. They asked where their SiL was working and when they told him, the Dutchman said’I am his boss!’. When he got back to Holland he called my DH into his office and told him that as he had heard we were not living in a nice house and the company would help us to buy somewhere. We never looked back.

Theoddbird Wed 05-Jun-19 18:38:42

Fate can be wonderful sometimes...at others it deals you something to test you. I feel like that at the moment.

I am so happy that fate has dealt you something to help x

KatyK Wed 05-Jun-19 18:43:29

blondenana I am no longer a practising Catholic, in fact I have no faith at all, but when I think back to that it certainly makes me think.

cas58 Thu 06-Jun-19 05:44:57

Um, no, I think things just happen.

blondenana Thu 06-Jun-19 09:37:47

About 40 years ago before i moved to where i live now, on the other side of the country, i was having to live with my parents after splitting from my husband,i was looking for a new place, of my own, as i had 3 children and parents were then overcrowded,i saw a house advertised and went to see the agent, he said there were 30 people waiting already, but he gave me a few clues as to where the owner lived but said he couldn;t give me the exact address,i cant remember what the clues were, but he said if he likes your face you will have a chance,i found the owner
That day my face was my fortune,as i found the house, and he just said you will have to see the agent, so i wasn;t hopeful,, but when i went to see the agent again,he handed me a bunch of keys,
Another similiar thing happened after that
I wentto a card reader Clairvoyant, who told me i would move from a house to a flat, i thought that was strange as it is usually the other way round, but a flat,or maisonette really came up and i applied for it, and it turned out it was just across the road from the card reader, but wasn; t available when she told me that
Maybe coincidence or fate, i dont know, but that card reader told me a lot over time,things she couldn;t possibly know in advance, but happened

Evertheoptimist Thu 06-Jun-19 10:03:34

How about this for fate/coincidence? As you know, we were allocated our National Insurance numbers when we started work (I was 16).
Well, the 6 digits of my National Insurance number are my husband’s date of birth and the letter is the 1st letter of our surname! Meant to be or what?