Gransnet forums

Chat

Striped T shirts!

(47 Posts)
phoenix Wed 05-Jun-19 15:43:00

Hello all, still not sure if this should be under Ask a Gran, Style & Beauty, or AIBU! grin

Aaanyway, I ordered some wide striped T shirts to go with cropped trousers to be sort of "smart casual" clothes for summer.

Cropped trousers fine, good fit, good quality.

T shirts? Well, good fit, fabric ok, but would you send them back if the lower edge wasn't a single stripe, i.e part navy, part white?

Not sure if I'm explaining this very well, and can't post a photo as they are all packed up and ready to go!

They were £18 each, plus p&p, not (by my standards) exact!y cheap for a T shirt.

Ok, they would probably wear well, and wash better than stuff from Primark, but that uneven stripe on the hem.................

Gonegirl Wed 05-Jun-19 23:02:37

I bought a dress from them too. That's striped. Not sending that back. It's nice.

Gonegirl Wed 05-Jun-19 23:11:14

It's alright! I had a 40% off coupon. So t-shirt was £22.80. Phew!

GabriellaG54 Wed 05-Jun-19 23:49:37

The vast majority of Seasalt clothing is made in China in the same factories as M&S and Primark among many many other High St brands.
If you read recent (2019) Seasalt reviews on Trustpilot you will see for yourselves how disgruntled and disappointed customers are at the quality.

Grammaretto Wed 05-Jun-19 23:57:29

I would love a teashirt that doesn't grow sideways in every wash!
I try to be ethical but can never be sure. I reckon if you get several year's wear from a garment, that's ethical enough.

GabriellaG54 Thu 06-Jun-19 00:01:48

Personally, I don't want to wear stuff thst I've paid over the odds for made in exactly the same place by the same people who make for the supposedly 'high end' retailers.
Those retailers have a much higher mark-up which is not justified by the quality.
If you want to wear clothes which were fashionable when you bought them 5/10/20 years ago...then good luck.
I don't.
I like current fashion and when I get sick of an item, I have no qualms about giving it to charity shops or, more usually, a women's refuge or Sally Army, because I haven't paid top dollar ie: £45 for an unremarkable top.
Each to her own.
No-one sees the label unless you wear clothes inside out.
If you wear clothes with panache, you can wear sackcloth and ashes and still get compliments. winkgrin

kittylester Thu 06-Jun-19 06:11:39

I'm a Seasalt customer who is highly satisfied but I have never posted on Trustpilot.

phoenix Thu 06-Jun-19 07:00:36

FYI, it wasn't Seasalt.

MawBroonsback Thu 06-Jun-19 09:02:21

I don’t think classics ever go out of fashion GabriellaG and am interested to see that sustainable fashion is gaining support as the way forward.
Frankly nothing looks more dated than last year’s “trendy look” anyway, but you might be interested in this article I read about sustainable and ethical shopping

www.theguardian.com/fashion/2019/apr/25/the-vintage-comeback-is-it-the-solution-to-sustainable-shopping

Grammaretto Thu 06-Jun-19 09:23:20

My beautiful seasalt striped reversible top has got so wide and short I can only wear it over a long vest top. Okay perhaps its no longer that beautiful grin
DD once worked in a high end retailer whose t'shirts were very overpriced. She explained to me that rich people went for the leather chairs and deep pile carpets along with the customer service she provided. She wanted to tell them to cross the road to Tesco where the same thing was a tenth of the price, but she held her tongue and kept her job.

Jane10 Thu 06-Jun-19 09:55:52

I always liked the Stella Artois slogan - 'Reassuringly expensive'! It made me smile.
Maybe that's why some people like to spend over the odds?

Gonegirl Thu 06-Jun-19 09:58:40

I do think you get what you pay for. I buy t-shirts from Cotton Traders. They are medium price range and are very good.

Gonegirl Thu 06-Jun-19 10:00:12

I have got one of Seasalt's "tin" (?confused) raincoats. I like it but never wear it because when it rains I stay inside.

phoenix Thu 06-Jun-19 10:12:57

Gonegirl the T shirts in question were from Cotton Traders!

moggie57 Thu 06-Jun-19 10:15:04

send them back .that shoddy clothes for expensive t-shirts.

Bathsheba Thu 06-Jun-19 10:31:36

I do a lot of dressmaking, and the problem with stripes - or any geometric pattern - is that the patterns are often printed rather than woven. This means that it is very common for the stripes to not correspond precisely with the weave, so when the fabric is carefully cut 'on the grainline' the printing veers out of line. If I'm cutting this kind of fabric, I always cut according to the print rather than the grainline - it's usually only a mm or two out, so has minimal effect on the drape of the garment. Cutting on the grainline, however, can have a huge visual impact, totally ruining the look of the finished item.

Yes, phoenix, I agree with you, I would have sent the t-shirts back too. It would have annoyed me every time I wore them.

toscalily Thu 06-Jun-19 10:37:01

I would send them back as I'm sure it would annoy me every time I wore them if the stripes were irregular. phoenix perhaps as a regular customer it would be worth sending them an email regarding this as it could be down to quality control being lax and maybe it should be pointed out to them. I buy T shirts from various places, Landsend are expensive so I have only bought in their sales but they do wash & wear very well, Primarks definitely of the cheap & cheerful variety, only ever bought one and it did not last very long. M&S you have to careful which ones you choose, some good some very poor quality indeed. I have this week bought myself one from Uniglo as I was near one of their stores for the first time, feels soft and fits well but I have not worn or washed it yet, anyone else bought from them?

phoenix Thu 06-Jun-19 10:47:13

I wrote a note explaining why I was returning them and put it in the parcel, but might email them as well.

Gonegirl Thu 06-Jun-19 10:55:38

phoenix - you can't beat them usually. I'm tempted by this one (flowered one) but I guess I've got enough.

Gonegirl Thu 06-Jun-19 10:56:05

I love their shorts too.

Gonegirl Thu 06-Jun-19 11:02:05

If it was this one, the royal blue and white one in the little thumbnails pictures seems to have an uneven bottom stripe.

I do love them though. Again - tempted, wobbly stripe or no! (No!!! norty)

Bathsheba Thu 06-Jun-19 11:09:07

Ah, if it was that one Gonegirl, then it's not what I thought at all. Not the pattern going out of line, but a bad choice of design, with that curved bottom edge, for that particular fabric. It would suit a plain fabric, or an all over smaller print much better.