Gransnet forums

Chat

This is the other TV licence petition

(36 Posts)
12Michael Wed 12-Jun-19 08:26:22

petition.parliament.uk/petitions/234627

goldengirl Thu 13-Jun-19 10:19:05

Done. A television can be a lifeline to many housebound people who may not receive any other benefits

harrigran Thu 13-Jun-19 10:31:22

Signed.

blondenana Thu 13-Jun-19 10:46:42

£10-£15wouldnt make much difference ,taking into account prescriptions, fuel, council tax rent etc
Would need to be much more
I have signed

Motherofmany Thu 13-Jun-19 11:02:52

Not signed, am 76 next month and although not rich I can afford 3 quid/week for TV. Only yesterday my son with Down Syndrome had a letter saying he will have to pay 31.50 a week for day services out of his meagre disability allowance as will all his mates. I have more important issues to worry about!

gillybob Thu 13-Jun-19 12:37:17

I agree with you Motherofmany . There are plenty young people struggling to make ends meet who would love to have a free TV licence. I agree that those on the lowest incomes should benefit but perhaps this should be across the board and not just for the over 75's.

Grammaretto Thu 13-Jun-19 12:52:09

There are always more important things but IMO it's the insidious crumbling away at civilised society and accepting things because they are only £3 a week which makes me sad and cross.
I think what I'm trying to say is that its not all about the money, it's also a sign that we value people and honour them for their long contribution to our society.

My In laws are in their 90s and watch TV every evening, They have stopped buying a newspaper and can't see to read so looking forward to favourite programmes is a pleasure to them. They like to tell us what to watch. OK so they probably can afford it but it's back to the slippery slope analogy.

FlexibleFriend Thu 13-Jun-19 13:34:35

No, I think £12 a month isn't a great deal to pay for what we get and if I can currently afford it but can't work or get my State Pension for at least another year and I can manage on what I have I'm sure when I get my state pension I'll feel like I've won the Lottery. There are certainly plenty of 75 year olds than can easily afford to pay it and it's freebies like this that have made me and lots of others have to manage for longer with less. Those on pension credit will still get it for free and I'll be expected to pay even though I have little choice over leaving the house or not. In an ideal world we'd give Pensioners a huge increase and masses of freebies but we don't live in an ideal world.

Pennypie Thu 13-Jun-19 13:40:43

Signed.

For those saying they can afford it, then don’t apply for a free licence. It’s not automatic, you have to apply for a free licence.

And the money saved by the BBC won’t be going to younger generations, it’ll be staying in their coffers.

But for those who would feel guilty receiving a free licence after 75, then don’t apply for it.

nightswimmer Thu 13-Jun-19 14:48:12

Seems to be doing well perhaps they will backpeddle?

12Michael Thu 20-Jun-19 08:23:40

Having read MOnicas view, I agree Gordon Brown not only did the free TV Licence but also introduced the Bus Pass as well.
These were done when the pension increase was a minimum of say 50p a year before being linked to RPI and then CPI as to increases by the present government .
Even in my case although under 75 , have found myself getting around with other work pensions earning less after Tax , which is less than when I was working full time before 2003 .
Mick