Gransnet forums

Chat

Aldi - recommendation please

(152 Posts)
suziewoozie Sat 15-Jun-19 12:56:06

I’m visiting an Aldi store for the first time ever on Monday - any recommendations as to what to buy - good, wine etc. Thanks

annsixty Sat 15-Jun-19 15:44:15

Oh I forgot about the flowers, terrific value and last for ages.

Greyduster Sat 15-Jun-19 15:48:32

We have just had one of their soft and fruity tea cakes. Full of fruit and delicious!

KatyK Sat 15-Jun-19 15:48:36

Yes I buy the flowers too. I bought a pack of ten birthday cards in there last week for 85p. I'll stop now. I'm getting carried away!

blondenana Sat 15-Jun-19 15:57:14

I only went in Aldi last week for some caviar face cream for my daughter,which is very good by the way,i got some for myself also about £20 of other stuff
I usually go to Iceland, because they delier free too, but might try Aldi next week

annodomini Sat 15-Jun-19 16:10:24

Having managed to wreck two Tesco shredders, I bought one from Aldi which, so far, has survived with flying colours. Their saucepans are good quality too.

mcem Sat 15-Jun-19 16:17:39

All of the above plus children's clothes. School pinafore and polo shirts have worn well and I have had two lovely winter coats for DGD.
Pleased to see that new season's raspberries are grown just a couple of miles away.

Charleygirl5 Sat 15-Jun-19 16:18:56

Such a pity they do not deliver!

Blinko Sat 15-Jun-19 16:22:02

Here's a link to an Irish take on Lidl and Aldi...

youtu.be/cL7jyXCQ2Zc

KatyK Sat 15-Jun-19 16:22:55

They deliver wine Charleygirl winesmile

chicken Sat 15-Jun-19 17:06:07

If you can lay your hands on a Metro newspaper from yesterday (Friday), there was a voucher from Lidl for £5 off when you spend £20, valid until next Wednesday. I've spent mine--got a great big bag full, including rump steak, cashew nuts, dried apricots and sliced roast ham (half price)--all for £15.

lilypollen Sat 15-Jun-19 17:19:38

suziewoozie I'm sure you'll be amazed at what they sell and become a convert! When the loco's first started I tended to buy non-perishables and fruit and veg. Now I'll often do my big shop there or Lidl. Quality and value are great and I agree with many of the recommendations that have been posted.

shysal Sat 15-Jun-19 17:20:49

Loved it Blinko! grin

Apricity Sat 15-Jun-19 17:29:07

If you need them I can recommend Aldi's fine merino wool thermal tops and leggings. They wash well and are lovely to wear. In southern Australia they are snapped up whenever they are stocked.

Harris27 Sat 15-Jun-19 17:29:22

I love aldi! Their salmon Wellington is beautiful they do two types one with dill and the other with prawns it's amazing at £3.99? Their port is lovely at around£6.29 their food is excellent and very reasonable. Their normal butter is better than lurpak for us. And a lot cheaper. They have a great cheese selection and cold meats. There I hope that helps! Be careful with the bananas not always ripe.

glammanana Sat 15-Jun-19 17:30:17

suziewoozie You will be spoilt for choice and will have much more money in your purse for sure.
Their steaks are always good in fact all their meat is good I have never had a bad joint of meat from there.
Lots of good quality fruits and veg but always check for the longest dates some stores don't seem to rotate as good as others.
Bloomer seeded bread is just the best,I split it up and freeze half so no waste at all.
I am now stocking up on bits and bobs for stocking fillers so so cheap for little craft books etc and all good makes.
Enjoy x

Harris27 Sat 15-Jun-19 17:31:22

I agree charleygirl ive been hounding them about this one!

KatyK Sat 15-Jun-19 17:31:40

Brilliant Blinko and filmed in my father's home town smile

GrannyGravy13 Sat 15-Jun-19 18:11:39

Aldi West Country Butter with sea salt crystals, organic Pinot Grigio and Organic Prosecco.

Their anti-pasta meats, olives and jars of artichokes and peppers are as good as we have bought in Italy.

crystaltipps Sat 15-Jun-19 18:16:41

When they have kids clothes - the PJs are good and the organic cotton baby grows in funky colours

Helennonotion Sat 15-Jun-19 18:27:46

Their smoked haddock fillets with a cheddar and mustard sauce is gorgeous. I got some half price this morning! If you go quite early you get lots of half price bargains with that days sell by date My freezer is full of things with red half price labels on! I also got several punnets of apricots which were also half price, so I can make jam! The Super 6 fruit and veg is good value. Ive always had decent fruit and veg from there , but I do rummage underneath for good sell by dates. Have fun!

Pittcity Sat 15-Jun-19 19:10:14

Lidl doesn't have sell by dates on a lot of fresh fruit and veg. Instead it has a week code which is when it was put out. For example today is 2407, the 7th day of week 24.

lilypollen Sat 15-Jun-19 22:15:17

Pittcity that is very good info to pass on for those not in the know. Don't quite know why they get away with not making the code clear.

TwiceAsNice Sat 15-Jun-19 23:50:11

Wine
Nuts
Dishwasher tablets
Chocolate
Cold meats
Individual quiches
Face cream
All really great and cheap. And you never know that you might find in the non grocery isles it’s a treasure trove

Evie64 Sun 16-Jun-19 00:40:03

I now do my main shop in Aldi and pop to Sainsbury's for anything I can't get in Aldi. I used to do all our shopping in Sainburys. It used to come to almost £100 a week. In Aldi I can buy pretty much the same stuff, and it comes to roughly half the price. Their 28 day aged fillet steak is lovely and as previous posters have said, their salmon Wellington is lovely and too small for 4 and too big for 2, so lunch for work the next day. Love Aldi. It just makes you think doesn't it? If Aldi can afford to sell their products so much more cheaply than the other big supermarkets, and still make enough profit to continue building more shops, it just goes to show how greedy the big five really are? The only real criticism of Aldi is their garden plants, they leave them outside in the sun and don't water them. Buy them on the day they delivered, but not after that.

GabriellaG54 Sun 16-Jun-19 04:04:22

I wonder if their clothes pots and pans and bed sheets etc are made in China?
Possibly the same factories sweatshops where Primark have their goods made as they're so cheap and possibly even cheaper than Primark.
Funny how hypocritical people can be.
They sneer at Primark and H&M but Aldi, Lidl and M&S are ok...until you look at the labels.

There was/is a BBC programme on iPlayer about farmed Scottish Salmon.
Beautiful scenery and peaceful lochs but wait till you see how the fish are farmed. Bloated dead fish in the bottom of the holding nets and blistery diseased growths on the bodies and heads of the others swimming around.
Don't eat in ignorance and believe the hype about Scottish Salmon being a premium product.
Decades ago maybe but no more.
Ugh!