Gransnet forums

Chat

Dog Owners (irresponsible)

(53 Posts)
Johno Sat 15-Jun-19 16:53:09

I find a fair proportion of dog owners to be so far up their own nose its almost akin to psychiatric impairment. Example; Dog off lead runs at you - the owner says: "it's OK he won't bite ya"!! How can these people be so contemptuous? They assume you do not fear dogs. What do you think? Is it fair game?

watermeadow Mon 17-Jun-19 18:44:48

One problem is that dogs do not go straight from untrained to trained overnight. Training a puppy to be obedient and well-mannered takes a year or more.
My young dog is still changing and goes from one naughty phase to a different one. I know she can be a nuisance. I’m sorry, I’m trying hard to civilise her but it will take time.

phoenix Mon 17-Jun-19 18:45:22

I lovedogs, but believe that training is paramount!

Currently, I seem to be running a canine creche at work! Shelby, a Labrador cross has learnt that while I am quite happy for her to spend time in my office whilst her owner is otherwise occupied, I go through doors first (she has to sit & stay until I tell her to move) jumping up is not allowed under any circumstances, I could cope with it, but a small child or a frail person might not.I

A well behaved, well trained dog is a delight to those that like dogs, and no bother to those that dont.