Gransnet forums

Chat

Raynauds syndrome

(28 Posts)
b1zzle Fri 21-Jun-19 11:10:42

Anyone else scared by the way their hands turn blue when retrieving something from the cold cabinet in a supermarket? If so - any suggestions?

grannysue05 Fri 21-Jun-19 11:21:37

Not scared when my hands turn blue but I try to be prepared for all cold events as I have had Reynauds for many years.
I keep a pair of clean leather gloves in my shopping bag and pop them on for 'freezer retrievals' ...... it really helps.
In winter I use the pure silk glove liners which keep my circulation going.
I never, ever drive my car without gloves on. Its the only way to keep the feeling in my hands.
Hope this helps.

BlueBelle Fri 21-Jun-19 11:24:16

My youngest daughter has reynauds and her hands can go completely white even on what I consider a not particularly cold day

Jassyjoo Fri 21-Jun-19 11:24:23

I have had Raynauds syndrome for many years. My hands go blue and then turn white because the blood has stopped getting to my fingers (happens to my toes too). Unfortunately it does, like lots of things, get worse the older you get. I can have white hands in summer too!

Jassyjoo Fri 21-Jun-19 11:27:33

Thanks for the tip about silk glove liners grannysue05. I'll look for some!

EllanVannin Fri 21-Jun-19 11:33:20

My hands just go purple as do my feet but mine's a circulatory problem and I've learned to live with it. Gloves on at the shop freezers and even when strolling round cool/cold shops and thick tights in the winter or even cooler " summer days ".

I'm not a happy bunny in the cold weather as my legs don't function properly.

My dad had Raynaud's and I remember his white fingers, they were like icicles.

M0nica Fri 21-Jun-19 16:23:59

I have had off and on for about 50 years. Not remotely scared by it. I just make sure that I always have a pair of woolly gloves in my handbag.

lemongrove Fri 21-Jun-19 16:26:10

Me too, although it’s only several fingers that go white, not the whole hand and not toes.

b1zzle Fri 21-Jun-19 17:01:57

Thank you - all of you! I don't feel so scared or alone now, and I'll certainly keep some (silk) gloves in my bag at all times now. I certainly didn't expect my fingers/nails to go blue this morning. It's the 21st of June!

Maggiemaybe Fri 21-Jun-19 17:04:27

Another one here. I've read recently that fingerless gloves can be very helpful, though my toes are more of a problem than my fingers.

At our local children's museum they've a screen that, when you stand in front of it, shows how hot and cold the various areas of your body are. My lot like to stand me in front of it and stare in grim fascination at all the areas of bright blue. My nose looks particularly gruesome.

aquafish Sat 22-Jun-19 09:44:59

Thanks for the advice re white fingers. Ive recently noticed my DH’s fingers on both hands go snowy white & feel very cold even in summer. He’s 62 today! Ive made him an appt at drs to check it out but looks like its Raynaud’s then? Good to hear it isn’t really serious and manageable.

nettyandmasey Sat 22-Jun-19 10:07:10

I have Raynauds too. Always wear socks to bed unless it’s exceptionally hot! Mine go red purple then blue hands that is. I did have some medicine from dr but can’t take it as it was a blood pressure tablets and I have low blood pressure, so was really ill. I dread the chiller aisles too.

Disgruntled Sat 22-Jun-19 10:31:21

There's a company called Turtle Doves who make fingerless gloves, leg warmers and so on out of re-cycled cashmere. I read somewhere that if your wrists and ankles are warm it helps your hands and feet (have I got that the right way round?)

win Sat 22-Jun-19 10:40:53

Good to hear it isn’t really serious and manageable.
Boo

It is actually very serious I have suffered for years and it is totally debilitating particularly in the winter. I cannot undo buttons and Zips to go to the toilet, I cannot do my pin, nor open my purse, regardless of using hand warmers and gloves all year round. Raynaud’s can occur as a “primary” disease; that is, with no associated disorder. It can also occur as a “secondary” condition related to other diseases, such as scleroderma, lupus, and rheumatoid arthritis.

evianers Sat 22-Jun-19 10:58:10

Raynaud's is horrible! Was working for an orthopaedic surgeon in Perth {WA} and whilst having lunch, he said "you have Raynauds". Had no idea what is was then - 30 years ago. Lips blue, fingers blue, feet frozen. And it is very debilitating. Cannot fall asleep without a hot water bottle - freezing feet even up until early June. Now coming back to UK [perhaps not a good idea]! and will join Raynaud's Society who give out helpful pamphlets.

dancingnana1 Sat 22-Jun-19 11:17:06

I have had reynauds syndrome for over 50 years now. I have learned to live with it. I have just ordered the fingerless gloves from Turtle Doves.
Hoping this will make a difference to my hands. Trouble is my feet get cold even in summer and I do Scottish country dancing so I don't know what to wear on them.socks are not a great look for dancing!

Kiwigramz Sat 22-Jun-19 11:45:38

I too get Raynauds Syndrome. I was put on a drug called nifedopine in the UK and this was really good. However my Dr here in New Zealand won’t put me on it. I do wear gloves in really cold weather and they do help. Also rubbing hands together helps me restore the circulation.

BusterTank Sat 22-Jun-19 11:50:43

My daughter suffers from raynauds syndrome . In the winter she has to have high quality thermal socks and gloves . Her feet are like ice an even have to wear socks in bed . As long has she keeps warm she is not in pain . She also found living in a warmer climate abroad she had no symptoms .

Tillybelle Sat 22-Jun-19 12:38:08

Like everyone else - have gloves with you! I use leather gloves for gripping the car steering wheel. I use cotton gloves indoors. I often wear fur boots indoor in the Winter.

Bordersgirl57 Sun 23-Jun-19 07:14:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Flossieturner Sun 23-Jun-19 08:42:49

I bought these silver gloves from the Raynauds site. I wear them at home all the time.

Devorgilla Sun 23-Jun-19 09:26:42

My youngest daughter has this. She found a great site that sells gloves made from recycled cashmere clothing and it has helped her enormously. I'm not sure if I can name the site on here but happy to PM anyone with it.

M0nica Sun 23-Jun-19 13:13:58

This thread has been both consoling, humbling and informative.

Consoling, because it it helps to know that it is a problem of many, rather than a few of us. There is strength in numbers! Also now know that I am not the only person who wears tights all year round, under leggings and trousers, as well as skirts. Most discussions on leg wear on GN are mainly inhabited by those who wouldn't wear tights if you paid them.

Humbling, because I have realised just how mild my Raynauds is compared with other people. No more muttering and complaints from me, just counting my blessings.

Informative, because of all the suggestions that people have made about what to wear and where to get it.

We bought an electric blanket this year, with each side controlled separately, wonderful for dealing with cold feet. I seem to get colder as the day progresses and, even last night, I turned on the blanket my side for about 10 minutes, because my feet were so cold.

Flossieturner Sun 23-Jun-19 14:05:35

As well as my electric blanket for the bed, I have a shoulder one for downstairs. It was recommended to me by my Osteopath. It is the best £35 I have ever spent.

Lilyflower Mon 24-Jun-19 06:47:34

I have never been officially diagnosed with Reynaud’s Syndrome but I know I have it. My feet and hands are almost always cold and white even in high summer. When my DH or DD hold my hands they are shocked and concerned. I have a bath every, single day as this is the only time my feet get warm. I also use hot water bottles to warm my feet, the last one only a couple of days ago as it is a very cold June.

I try not to make a fuss about it though it is hard when my family, who are all overweight and run hot, turn all the heating off and open the windows when I am freezing!