Gransnet forums

Chat

Recording Boris and partner

(371 Posts)
annep1 Sat 22-Jun-19 10:30:54

This is totally ridiculous as a news headline. Can't a couple have a row without the world knowing. I'm not a Boris fan but this is out of order imo.

lemongrove Sat 22-Jun-19 16:30:04

Walls between flats are thin!
Most couples in a marriage / relationship will have had noisy arguments at times, particularly if they are passionate/emotional/upset.
There may be a few saints/doormats who never say boo to a goose of course.

lemongrove Sat 22-Jun-19 16:30:38

Gonegirl grin

janeainsworth Sat 22-Jun-19 16:57:12

Day6
Don't imagine your relationship is the same as others

I could say the same to you.

Callistemon Sat 22-Jun-19 17:12:52

Didn't the neighbour say that the building shook after the altercation?
It looks to be a very solid building.

Apparently there was the sound of crockery smashing too. I do hope Boris can duck. Or perhaps they were having a Greek evening and the neighbours weren't invited.

When DH spilt red wine on our new sofa I said "oh dear, never mind darling", Granny23.
Not.

Beckett Sat 22-Jun-19 17:21:03

When DH and I had our first argument as a married couple my grandmother said that a couple who say they never argue are either lying or one is being subservient to the other

I think both of them are strong willed and probably often argue loudly and passionately.

glammanana Sat 22-Jun-19 17:23:22

janeainsworth Your Mr A and my Mr G must be from the same mould as we have never had a really nasty argument in 40+ years we have never found anything that bad that we both disagreed on that can't be sorted by sitting and having a talk about things,my parents where the same.
I disagree with the neighbour informing the media but if I had paid £650k+ for a flat I would be questioning the builder about the soundproofing it must be like a wendy house,and as for Boris he has the family morals of an alley cat in my opinion, lets see if he does get into No.10 how many partners he moves in whilst he is in residence

janeainsworth Sat 22-Jun-19 17:31:21

we have never found anything that bad that we both disagreed on that can't be sorted by sitting and having a talk about things,my parents where the same

Mine too, glamma.
I don’t understand posters who imply that unless you have raging rows, it means that you’re a doormat, subservient, or lacking passion.
I couldn't live with anyone who couldn’t express their feelings without resorting to shouting and ranting.

Granny23 Sat 22-Jun-19 17:42:47

Annie the violence that was reported related to Mark Field.

Anniebach Sat 22-Jun-19 18:24:53

Thank you for explaining Granny23 , as the thread is
‘Recording Boris and his Partner’, naturally I assumed you were referring to this.

Gonegirl Sat 22-Jun-19 18:32:55

Mr GG never shouts back at me!

Gonegirl Sat 22-Jun-19 18:35:04

When DH spilt red wine on our new sofa I said "oh dear, never mind darling", Granny23.
Not.

grin grin grin

Luckygirl Sat 22-Jun-19 18:46:51

To be fair, although it does seem like a bit of an invasion of privacy, if the neighbour genuinely thought that the woman was in danger she could not sit back and do nothing. And the fact that she recorded it implies to me that it was not the first time.

NfkDumpling Sat 22-Jun-19 19:26:01

After a few raised disagreeing voices in our kitchen a week or two back we found out that our neighbour could hear us perfectly clearly through our hob extractor fan vent!!

Gemmag Sat 22-Jun-19 19:32:05

Luckygirl.....she recorded it because she knew who lived there and she knew the Guardian newspaper would pay her I imagine a very large sum of money.

The only people who know exactly what went on in that flat are the two people who live there.

The police managed to get there within two minutes but cannot be bothered to turn up when someone’s being burgled. There was nothing to report, just a complete waste of their time.

Sandiiee Sat 22-Jun-19 20:02:32

Sorry but I find this very creepy. Who would even think of recording their neighbours through closed doors let alone selling the recording to a newspaper.

annep1 Sat 22-Jun-19 20:03:21

I remember worrying about a couple arguing next door but it never occurred to me to record it.
Many couples don't row and many couples do. Many are quiet disagreements and many are anything but. Can we at least agree on that.
My bet is the loud noise that camd after Get off my computer (or laptop whatever) was the computer hitting the floor. They were obviously having a humdinger. The relationship is probably under a lot of strain at the minute.
But it sounds fishy and well timed.

annep1 Sat 22-Jun-19 20:04:10

Not the argunent. Recording and reporting it.

mcem Sat 22-Jun-19 20:16:18

I object to being lumped in with the "we all do it" brigade!
Shouting and yelling so loudly that every word can be heard outside? Never!
That style of building most certainly will not have paper thin walls!
As someone said last week "The leadership is Boris' to throw away".
Didn't take him long to start doing just that.
As soon as the minders aren't on the spot to exert control, he shows his colours and reverts to type.

paddyann Sat 22-Jun-19 20:25:28

we dont argue either and we've lived together for 44 years and worked together for nearly 50 .Its not compulsory to have lud arguements .When we were amrried at first the couple next door to us had these kind of arguements ,one which ended up with her trying to escape him by running through our garden ...he dragged her back by her waist legth hair she was screaming her head off.I did call the police ..they did come out but back in the day it was "juat a domestic" I'd never have forgiven myself if that poor girl had ended up in hospital or worse .She was very young..only 17 and to be honest I was in two minds about letting her dad know what was going on as I knew him well.Sometimes you need to "interfere" even if its just for your own conscience

annep1 Sat 22-Jun-19 20:50:24

Paddyann I think most of us on gn would do something if we thought someone was in danger. And you might not row but many do. It's not headline news no matter who you are.

Eloethan Sat 22-Jun-19 21:01:57

Apparently his girlfriend shouted "get off me" and "get out of my flat". There were reports of loud shouting, including BJ shouting "get off my fucking laptop", and screams. I believe it was reported that the laptop was damaged.

When we heard something like this happening next door many years ago, we called the police because we feared for our neighbour's and her young daughter's safety. My work colleague said she would never contact the police in this sort of situation because it's nobody's business when couples row and "sometimes women provoke men". This surprised me, especially coming from a woman.

I think, in these particular circumstances, it was reasonable to record what was happening. Powerful people have ways of making this sort of incident disappear. It was interesting that, at first, the police denied having attended a domestic incident at that address.

I do have some misgivings about the recording being handed to the Guardian. We've had a few loud rows over the years - though no screaming or indications of violence occurring. I'm glad our neighbours didn't record them!

On the other hand, as BJ is a candidate for PM perhaps people ought to be aware of yet another example of his lack of judgment and self control.

DillytheGardener Sat 22-Jun-19 21:11:28

I don’t like Boris, his private life is a mess, he lies constantly and I certainly don’t want him in no. 10. I disagree that it’s a private dispute, if he is to be the PM and he rows loud enough to be recorded, sorry you are a public figure, “dems the breaks” as my mother would say. Ghastly man, I hope his ex wife is having a good laugh.

Callistemon Sat 22-Jun-19 21:27:05

Actually, Gonegirl, I was so shocked and he was so mortified that we were both speechless - most unusual!

Grammaretto Sat 22-Jun-19 21:31:47

Our last house was a semi with solid walls built in the 1930s. I was civil to Miss next door but we only met over the garden fence. When she knew we were selling, she asked me in for a sherry. I was honoured and left the family at home.
So embarrassing, I could hear every word through the walls and it was only the kids and their dad.
Ugh I dread to think what this single school teacher had to put up with over the years. At least she didn't call 999.

MaizieD Sat 22-Jun-19 21:33:35

The neighbour who called the police has gone public:

www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jun/22/neighbour-who-called-police-over-boris-johnson-row-goes-public

No doubt those of you who are always prepared to think the worst about people (judging by your own standards, perhaps?) will pooh pooh his account. I think the neighbours were absolutely right to call the police; there was always the possibility of it escalating to violence, whoever the participants might be.

I'm not too sure that they should have contacted the press but if you want to live in the public eye I think you should be prepared for any of your actions to be potentially publicised and to conduct yourself circumspectly at all times.