Gransnet forums

Chat

Would you try to find your Long Lost Family?

(77 Posts)
b1zzle Thu 27-Jun-19 12:57:27

I was a foundling, then adopted at six months but in a moment of bravado/madness, I filled in the online form for this programme a few weeks ago. I probably don't have any living birth parents now, but with no blood family of my own, I'd love to know if there's someone out there I'm related to. Anyone got any helpful/encouraging thoughts (or otherwise)?

LizaJane24 Sat 29-Jun-19 14:34:06

I'm not in your situation, but I would say give it a go, providing you can be ready to accept rejection. I was estranged from my maternal grandfather( my mother's choice) and after the death of my beloved paternal grandfather (when I was 19), I often thought of him. He lived fairly locally, I knew people who knew him. I thought about getting in touch but feared rejection from him or his wife, and disapproval from my mother.
When I was in my early 30s he had a heart attack and one of my mother's aunts suggested she visit before it was too late. Mum did and then suggested I went, so I did, accompanied by my husband and 3 small children.
It was an odd experience, but not unpleasant and I mentioned visiting when he got out of hospital. He was very happy for me to do that. Unfortunately he died before I could visit again, but I was told that he had really enjoyed my visit and was proud of his granddaughter and great granddaughters.
I try not to regret the wasted years before I met him because I believe in his earlier years he was not a good husband or father, but I will always be grateful for the visit. At least I cannot say, If only.....