Gransnet forums

Chat

Even at my age!

(96 Posts)
Urmstongran Sat 29-Jun-19 19:08:01

My wardrobe isn’t coordinated. It’s definitely not capsule.
I would love to be one of those stylish women with ‘key’ items that mix and match!

At 64y perhaps I will just continue to ‘muddle along’. I’ve particularly noticed it this afternoon because I’m packing a grip bag for 6 days away.

I started out fine, then panicked as space will be at a premium in our little car with its tiny boot and I’ve sadly realised that I have some nice clothes but no flair for putting them together well. Oh dear.
?

Disgruntled Sun 30-Jun-19 16:29:54

When I was 13 I did an exchange with a girl in Paris. Even at that age she was stylish: she wore grey, red and black. I hardly even knew my own name. Fast forward 100 years - a friend of mine came round and said she'd just been to have her colours done. I said "Oh, Pat! For goodness' sake, what waste of time and - what's the number?" I had mine done and have never regretted it.

Lisagran Sun 30-Jun-19 16:47:58

We’re in Benodet in Brittany now, Gabriella, heading towards Roscoff for the ferry tomorrow. First pic was near Arzon, Golfe du Morbihan

Maggiemaybe Sun 30-Jun-19 17:15:43

This is why I have a lot of dresses - it’s a whole lot easier!

Maggiemaybe Sun 30-Jun-19 17:21:58

I do agree that earrings are a must. I have a vast collection (and another vast collection of single ones waiting forlornly for their lost partners to turn up).

Day6 Sun 30-Jun-19 17:30:44

Oh yes Maggiemaybe, I feel undressed without earrings

I too have a large number of odd earrings. Like odd socks (that I really should ditch) they are waiting for their other half to appear.

Kirstyfiona Sun 30-Jun-19 17:46:39

I have a simple clothes strategy!
Everything has to co ordinate with navy.
Summer and winter, all my shoes, bags, boots and trainers are navy and l only buy separates, scarves etc that go with them. It makes packing for holiday really easy as everything works together and I don’t actually own that many clothes.

Paperbackwriter Sun 30-Jun-19 18:02:33

I agree about getting your colours done - it really does make a difference. But don't necessarily let them talk you into getting styling done as well - the tendency is to decide you need to Dress Your Age. I like slightly mad clothes from Rundholz and Studio 3b and so on (Google Walkers Style) and am definitely not a Jaeger sort (apart from one wonderful black wool coat..). If you like a floral dress with a biker jacket, then go with it.

Joplin Sun 30-Jun-19 18:26:20

Tillybelle- ditto to a most of your post!

GuestCorrectly Sun 30-Jun-19 18:33:58

When I retired my wardrobe was predominantly black, white and navy blue. It’s taken 5 years but bit by bit it’s now turquoise, sky blue and pale pink - makes me feel so much better.

JulieMM Sun 30-Jun-19 18:44:16

What a lovely thread... thank you all so much, I’ve thoroughly enjoyed reading all the comments on this sunny Sunday afternoon! Some of the threads on here can be quite dismal and I can only read a few but this one has been helpful and heartening ☺️

tinaf1 Sun 30-Jun-19 18:46:44

Thank God Urmstongran and others I am not alone ?

Lisagran Sun 30-Jun-19 19:28:39

Paperbackwriter - Googled Rundholz - cool clothes, but pricey even when reduced. Thanks for the link though

Stella14 Sun 30-Jun-19 19:51:10

Absolutely Lisagran. I too wear a lot of linen. Also, cotton (preferably organic cotton), a bit of cashmere and sone silk pieces for when dressed-up (usually only when on a cruise!). I do not generally like synthetic fabrics. Occasionally, there is something exceptional, but mostly I avoid synthetic.

Mcbab Sun 30-Jun-19 21:04:18

Can be a useful exercise to spend a couple e of hours going through your wardrobe and trying what goes with what. I spent an evening doing this and was pleasantly surprised to discover tops and bottoms that went together really well but I had never had the time (or patience!) when getting dressed in the morning to try them out.

GabriellaG54 Sun 30-Jun-19 21:44:23

lisagran
Your latest photo is absolutely gorgeous. I love the flowers in the foreground.
I've only been to Dinan and St Malo on the coast.

GabriellaG54 Sun 30-Jun-19 21:45:29

lisagran Lisagran blush

Callistemon Sun 30-Jun-19 23:06:33

We used to visit that area when the children were young, Lisagran.
I have a yearning to go back now that I've seen your photos!

Lisagran Mon 01-Jul-19 07:23:10

callistemon - yes, we too used to visit Brittany a lot, camping, when ours were little. Pleasantly surprised this year in revisiting, not been this way for years, but it’s been lovely. Different without children, ha ha!

Nanna58 Mon 01-Jul-19 21:04:16

In summer I always wear black, white and grey. Then add bright bags, shoes and jewellery. Done it for years because for me it works. In winter I find this too harsh, so wear brown, cream and beige. Makes things a helluva lot easier to put together.

Callistemon Mon 01-Jul-19 21:59:47

Lisagran That area was recommended to us by someone who said the weather was so different between north and south Britanny - the north like Cornwall ie unpredictable, the south always warm and sunny.

We always seemed to have lovely weather, sometimes ventured down to the Vendee too.