Gransnet forums

Chat

Glastonbury

(124 Posts)
Sar53 Sat 29-Jun-19 22:34:02

Is anyone else an ageing rock chic ???? I'm watching The Killers on BBC 2. Both my daughter's are watching in their respective houses. They both texted to tell me to watch.
I love rock music, always have and don't think that will ever change.

Callistemon Sun 30-Jun-19 22:52:25

We flicked between that and that Indian thing on ITV and then I fell asleep.

glammagran Sun 30-Jun-19 22:54:00

Everyone has their own individual “take” on music. I happen to think music has improved vastly after the terrible music from the 1980’s. We go to a mid sized festival every year as we are too old for Glastonbury - never been and really regret not having done so. Seen Future Islands live twice - lead split his pants on one occasion! This may be our last year ?. Didn’t see anything I liked from the Pyramid stage. This year I’ve watched and very much enjoyed Pond and Tame Impala (seen both live), Ezra Collective (very complex, GabriellaG), Roy Ayers and my personal favourite this year, Kurt Vile. I so envy anyone who saw Led Zeppelin back in the day.

Labaik Mon 01-Jul-19 19:54:10

One of the stand out songs from Glastonbury over the years has been The Cures 'From the Edge of the Deep Green Sea'. I don't think they performed it as well last night as they did 25 years ago but I still loved it. Can't believe it's been 25 years though...sad...

Labaik Tue 02-Jul-19 06:10:07

www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzBYkItpEdc
..the standout song of the festival for me; what I'd give to be as cool as Sharon Van Etten..shades of P J Harvey and Patti Smith...

craftyone Tue 02-Jul-19 06:41:59

as locals, we are all flipping glad it`s over

kittylester Tue 02-Jul-19 09:47:38

It must be horrendous crafty.

Download is about 10 Miles from us, halfway to Dd1's, its a flipping nightmare and nothing like as big as Glastonbury!

annodomini Tue 02-Jul-19 09:57:26

When we moved north, it took time for DSs to find like-minded friends but DS1 was desperate to go to a Cure gig and foolishly I agreed to go with him. Mistake! My ears were bleeding and I still feel dread at the very name of The Cure!

fiorentina51 Tue 02-Jul-19 10:04:53

I'm just stunned at the amount of rubbish that gets left behind afterwards. Bins overflowing in all directions, it's like a huge refuse tip. If a bin is full, why can't they take their rubbish home with them?

henetha Tue 02-Jul-19 10:10:41

I only really got caught up in Glastonbury on tv on Sunday.
Absolutely loved Kylie, what a performer. And then I found myself watching The Cure who I used to love even though they are weird. Took me right back, watching them.

Miep1 Tue 02-Jul-19 11:11:12

I was amazed by the amount of plastic left behind. Obviously David Attenborough hasn't seen the aftermath following praise for reusable equipment!

Callistemon Tue 02-Jul-19 11:17:37

I know they banned plastic bottles - but were those roses people were waving real ones or plastic ones?
hmm

Glammy57 Tue 02-Jul-19 11:42:15

Labaik - what a great performance! Saw Patti Smith, live, in Cardiff last year. She is still so cool! ?

Glammy57 Tue 02-Jul-19 11:46:25

vickymeldrew - I think it’s that whole broken heart and angst which he wears, so well!

Labaik Tue 02-Jul-19 14:24:49

I love Robert Smith even though he does remind me of the sort of boyfriends from hell that my daughter used to have shock. Found him very funny when he said about winning an award for the person who says the least when playing Glastonbury. And he was visibly moved, as was I, at the thought of the 25 years that have passed [where DOES the time go]. It's always amused me that they do such long, dark songs and then do their little plinky plonk songs in between.

Glammy57 Tue 02-Jul-19 18:57:40

Labaik - My favourite song by the Cure is Lovesong! I probably brought home far more boyfriends from hell than my daughter ever did. My dad despaired! Yes, time passes quickly.

GabriellaG54 Tue 02-Jul-19 22:03:30

Most of it is moronic noise and to go to gigs and act like a teen swooning over the wannabes and has beens on stage is pathetic...in my not-so-humble opinion.

Blondiescot Thu 04-Jul-19 12:51:21

No, you're really not so humble about anything, are you, GabriellaG54? Tell me, how is the air up there on that moral high ground of yours?

Namsnanny Thu 04-Jul-19 14:27:09

Crafty one...don’t locals get some form of compensation from whatsisname or his daughter?
Do many of your neighbours leave the area and rent out their homes? Always wondered.
My son hasn’t missed a Glastonbury since he was 18y.He’s in his 30’s now!

Tooyoungytobeagrandma Thu 04-Jul-19 21:14:39

I watched it after work (last year I think) when ELO played. I had forgotten how many of their songs had filled my life when I was young, free and single, it was brilliant. I went to see the Eagles recently and thoroughly enjoyed listening to great musicians play songs that still sound good today. As for swooning over wannabees why not relive times/people/music that were happy? Have to say though that as much as I love the music from my clubbing days late 70's and early 80's I really enjoy much of the current music. I often sing along to Bruno Marrs, Years and Years, Ed Shearan, Avici, Panic at the disco etc etc while driving to/from work. From some posts seems some people are proper fun suckers, not happy unless complaining grin

Labaik Thu 04-Jul-19 23:31:52

I usually discover a 'new favourite band' after watching Glastonbury and seeing something on utube where this years 'new favourite band' [Sharon Van Etten] talk about music that they like I've now discovered Wooden Ships, Bill Callaghan and a few others...

KaazaK Thu 04-Jul-19 23:48:36

Glastonbury would be my worst nightmare! I like my comfort too much (and decent bathroom facilities)! I did attend a concert in Hyde Park last summer to see Paul Simon. I don’t regret going, he was amazing but not an experience I’d repeat in a hurry. I must be getting old!

seasider Fri 05-Jul-19 07:31:38

Glastonbury is definitely on my bucket list but need to figure out how to do it with a few home comforts. My youngest son went to his first festival this year and loved it despite two days of constant rain .
It was Park Life so no overnight camping . The hotel banned muddy shoes so DS left his (very old) trainers at the door. A little later his friend saw a tramp walking off with them . I had visions of an old gentlemen of the road walking round Manchester in pair of size 11 Nike air with massive soles !

Humbertbear Fri 05-Jul-19 07:43:07

I loved The Killers and will definitely go next time they tour