Gransnet forums

Chat

When to tell Long Distant SO about denture

(92 Posts)
What2do Sun 30-Jun-19 03:57:08

Hello - I'm new here and wanted to reach out for some guidance or advice. I recently started corresponding w/ a woman from South America. We met on On line dating site, we have been talking for about 6 months and she's coming to visit me next month. I was wondering, should I tell her about my denture before she comes here or wait to see her and tell her face to face? She's a wonderful woman, a little vain but is very kind...to be honest, we have fallen for one another however NEVER met...this is our first face to face meeting and I am so excited...however, I feel I must tell her at some point...the question is tell her over one of our phone calls or face to face...any advice??????????????

seacliff Mon 01-Jul-19 07:45:16

Ohhh, thanks Nfk.

Charleygirl5 Mon 01-Jul-19 09:49:18

The alarm bells are ringing here also. If she is working why did she not buy her own ticket?

Everything should be 50/50 and if it is not, why not?

MawBroonsback Mon 01-Jul-19 09:52:46

I am relieved I am not the only cynic here hmm

aggie Mon 01-Jul-19 09:57:13

My Children always paid for my tickets to visit them , but not now , I am Ms Moneybags wink
speaking of children , my Grandchildren are off School for the summer , Two are heading for Harris to a Gallic summer school

luluaugust Mon 01-Jul-19 10:14:50

Don't offer to pay for anything else I have a feeling your dentures are the least of your worries!

glammanana Mon 01-Jul-19 10:33:28

Alarm bells ring here not being cynical lets wait and see if she turns up or suddenly developes a poorly relative who needs medical expenses paying or similar before she can visit.
Forget about your dentures and worry about your bank balance.

EllanVannin Mon 01-Jul-19 10:39:07

You could end up with teeth like a witch-doctors necklace or minus teeth and money.

vena11 Mon 01-Jul-19 10:43:41

Don't mean to be nosey but how much was the ticket.

Esspee Mon 01-Jul-19 15:59:43

Did you send your "friend" the money for the ticket or did you actually pay the airline direct?

Esspee Mon 01-Jul-19 16:00:48

Can you see where we are all going with our questions OP?

M0nica Mon 01-Jul-19 16:24:21

I think the OP is heading for a fall. Forget about his false teeth, I am more worried about his bank account and savings.

They say there is no fool like an old fool.

BradfordLass72 Tue 02-Jul-19 03:17:41

I'm looking forward to What2do coming back to say how well it all turned out, that she was genuine and lovely, and repaid his air-fare money......and.......

Well, you can live in hope, eh?

What2do Tue 02-Jul-19 07:13:08

Thank you everyone for your wise counsel!!!...agree 100%, a little insight on me. I am a cyber security professional and yes the first thing I did was check her background for any signs of "catfishing" or "scamming"...I am catholic and my padre asked about her and to his surprise so did hers...her padre asked about me!...they talked... So, she is who she says she is...one of the reason I let my guard down to be honest, at first I was hoping to find something because its too good to be true and you know the saying "if its that good, is probably not true...". and yes she was willing to pay for my ticket down there...don't get me wrong, she is NOT PERFECT by any means...so, will see where this goes I am just going to have fun and yea..."“keep your hand on your ha’penny!" smile Thanks again for everyone responses...

MawBroonsback Tue 02-Jul-19 07:15:38

Padre?

Are you in the Armed Forces?

Sorry, but I am sceptical, Catholics talk about their priest.
confused

BlueBelle Tue 02-Jul-19 07:49:08

Catholic’s don’t have Padres a little slip on your part there I’m even more sceptical now

BlueBelle Tue 02-Jul-19 07:49:50

Sorry mawbroon just seen I duplicated your post at least we re on the sane hymn sheet so to speak

M0nica Tue 02-Jul-19 07:51:59

As a catholic (and ex-army brat) the word 'padre' says to me:
1) What2do is American and 2) He is ex-US military.

MawBroonsback Tue 02-Jul-19 08:39:32

That figure M0nica my apologies.
I should have realised there was something “lost in translation” as in the UK we tend to refer to “dentures” not “A denture” but it had occurred to me that OP’s first language might not be English.

vena11 Tue 02-Jul-19 08:42:47

Still makes me wonder about it all to be honest.

NotSpaghetti Tue 02-Jul-19 09:05:50

Be cautious What2do as even if you have a lovely visit (and I really hope you do), the long distance relationship is a tricky one. I speak from my son’s experience of a 3 year relationship with a very nice young woman from America. They saw each other every four months or so, taking it in turns to visit and always had a great time and seemed more and more in love. They talked for hours, emailed and sent little gifts - it was lovely to see him so happy.

Then, after a lot of thought, he moved over to be with her and over about six months, it became clear that although they loved each other’s company on visits and holidays, they found they had no chance on a day-to-day basis as when working, shopping for groceries, dealing with relatives and the ordinary pressures of daily life, it just didn’t work.
It became extremely strained and difficult, and they had very different expectations of life, yet they had spent hundreds of hours chatting and had both invested such a lot in the relationship.

Whilst I’m not by any means saying all long distance relationships are doomed in the day-to-day, I just want to advise caution. IF things go well, be wiser than my son, make sure you have the chance to see her “ordinary” life, not just her “holiday mood” before you commit.

As to your dentures... if they matter, she’s pretty shallow and you’re wasting your time!
Good luck.

Callistemon Tue 02-Jul-19 09:44:35

Padre - yes, Naval padre springs immediately to mind!

My denture - perhaps it's just the one tooth.
Could you have an implant done before she gets here?
They can be really very good.

EllanVannin Tue 02-Jul-19 10:02:37

One tooth ? Must be Juanita ! A pickle-chaser.

Bellanonna Tue 02-Jul-19 10:08:23

Sorry, but I’m rather cynical. In the OP she is a “wonderful woman” and “kind”. Later on she’s “not perfect by any means”. Also, why would the matter of her paying for a return visit have cropped up at this point? ?
Padre is certainly an Armed Forces word, and not one a Catholic would use about their priest. Odd....

annodomini Tue 02-Jul-19 10:16:26

a denture is a normal expression for a partial set, or a single one on a plate. My dentist threatened me with a denture if my crowned front teeth wouldn't take a new crown. So far, I have managed to preserve the crowns.

blondenana Tue 02-Jul-19 10:27:43

Please do be careful especially if this lady is Philipino or Thai,or Chinese
I know of 2 people who did what you are doing ,long distance relationship, and both were conned out of a lot of money
I wish you well though and hope to hear how it went