Gransnet forums

Chat

What I want from a care home.......hopefully a long way off!

(54 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Sun 30-Jun-19 10:35:11

Nothing??? you read such terrible things. Mum is 100 and still in her own home with support. That is what I would hope for.

Mamissimo Sun 30-Jun-19 10:32:59

Dragonfly nooooooo to the Vera Lynn - it’s a red line for me! I’d quickly loose my sense of humour ?

dragonfly46 Sun 30-Jun-19 10:28:44

Where my mum is ticks some of the boxes. Admittedly they play a lot of Vera Lynn but as my mum is 98 that seems fair. They do have unlimited wifi, wear their own clothes (if they are properly named), drink wine (which I take in) with their meal and get a choice of food.
Maybe I should put my name down grin

Mamissimo Sun 30-Jun-19 10:23:19

Reading the Glastonbury thread it struck me (again) that I’ve never heard Led Zeppelin or Hendrix in a care home.....but I’ve heard loads of music from my grandparents era....and they died forty years ago!

I think residential homes are going to have to up their game for the baby boomer generation!

We’ll want unlimited WiFi, Thai food....or a decent choice of tasty food.....a wine list......to wear our own clothes.....internet shopping.....the occasional night away....and to have far more say in our treatment!

They need to get rid of the 80s decor too!

We will be buying our own care so I think we should have more say....what do others think?