Gransnet forums

Chat

My Birthday and I don't like any fuss.

(111 Posts)
JonesKpj000 Sun 30-Jun-19 15:56:14

It's my birthday today. and I just hate celebrating it. I have had texts and cards and been for a lovely walk with my husband and dog. I walk most days and am happy just having a normal day. Am I being miserable or does anyone else feel like this on their special day?

Rufus2 Mon 01-Jul-19 12:40:46

Another Cancerian here, so not long to go!
Phew! Thank goodness that's a non sequitur;
As another long-time Cancerian you had me worried for a moment! shock

WendyBT Mon 01-Jul-19 12:54:00

I hate them too but it isn't a problem because virtually no-one knows when it is. Even my children don't know so the day passes as normal and is soon history.

GrannyHaggis Mon 01-Jul-19 12:56:20

Be thankful your birthday is being celebrated! Mine is also today and all I've had are messages from GS and DS, from DH.....zilch. Not even a spoken Happy Birthday and he wonders why I'm not in a good mood. Am off for a long walk by the river to see if that'll help me feel less tearful.

Patticake123 Mon 01-Jul-19 13:20:31

It’s a conundrum for me. I really look forward to my birthday and then on the day I’m as flat as a pancake and hate the fuss. I’m sure it all stems from an incident when I was around 10 so I’ve had plenty of time to get over it!

crazyH Mon 01-Jul-19 13:34:32

Happy Birthday Grannyhaggis flowers. I had the most horrendous bday last year due to my cantankerous, acussatory older son. I hope this year will be better, but I'm not putting any money on it. If I had a partner, I would probably go away somewhere. But being on my own it's difficult. Anyway, have as lovely a day as possible.

Rolypoly55 Mon 01-Jul-19 13:37:21

Lol, I thought I was the strange one, I hate birthdays too,, so relate to your post.

EthelJ Mon 01-Jul-19 13:41:19

I understand how you feel. I tend to think of my mother on my birthday more so as I get older.

Keeper1 Mon 01-Jul-19 13:43:21

I hate being reminded I am another year older ☹️ However I don’t mind doing something enjoyable but don’t want it marked as a birthday celebration. Being born in 1st January makes it difficult to avoid ?

Redrobin51 Mon 01-Jul-19 13:46:36

Personally I would love a little bit of fuss on my birthday. I was 33 before anyone even got me a cake and that was when I was a volunteer at a charity as a thank you for my time. I have unfortunately been ill on my last two special birthdays not that DH who has depression had arranged anything. I was an only child and unfortunately have no children and no extended family close by. I always feel a sadness come over me as all my friends have celebrations even for a normal birthday which kind of rubs it in. I just now try and think it is only one day and I buy a bottle of champagne and have a takeaway. Happy birthday to all Cancerians.x

Esmenonna Mon 01-Jul-19 13:50:43

I'm the same with birthdays. It was mine on Saturday and I had a lovely morning with my GD, then sat in the sun reading and drinking prosecco! My OH went out with his colleagues and that didn't bother me one iota. I love peace and quiet. Cancerians btw are loyal, romantic and generous x

minxie Mon 01-Jul-19 14:00:46

The many Young people buried along Side my mum would love to celebrate their birthday. Be grateful for every birthday you reach

Vivian123 Mon 01-Jul-19 14:26:53

Birthday! Just another day. I celebrate every day, happy that I am still here and am able to enjoy myself. I don't need a special day to celebrate a wonderful life.

Witchypoo Mon 01-Jul-19 14:29:57

I wish i could celebrate my birthday. My family dont acknowledge it. Have no friends now so only card i get is one i buy from my pets. Normal day very sad

annemac101 Mon 01-Jul-19 14:36:36

Happy birthday JonesKPj000. It's my birthday today too and I love birthday celebrations, alas mine are always very low key,even in childhood. I have a chest infection and feeling a bit yuk. My grandchildren can't visit as some of them aren't well and I don't want to pass any of my bugs to them. So feeling a bit down today. Had plans to go shopping for clothes,meal, cinema with hubby but that will have to wait until I'm well again.

lizzypopbottle Mon 01-Jul-19 15:14:17

Perhaps you could turn it round and see it as all the people who love you celebrating your birthday when they send greetings.

HillyN Mon 01-Jul-19 15:26:03

I like my family to make a bit of fuss on my birthday; my DDs and their families come round with presents and we have to have a cake so that my GD can blow out the candles! My DH and I then have a couple of nights away somewhere in a hotel.
What I DON'T do is to share any details about when my birthday is on social media. Lots of my friends from church would see it and it has not been unknown for a birthday to be announced during the service and for the whole congregation sing 'Happy Birthday' to them. I would find that so embarrassing. So I won't be sharing my birth date with any of you- sorry!

JonesKpj000 Mon 01-Jul-19 15:33:22

Thank you all once again. I did have a lovely day and enjoyed seeing my son's and their partners. I really appreciate everything I receive, just don't like being the centre of attention, but I am very grateful for having a loving family. Happy Birthday to all that are celebrating or not, their birthday today, and to all our other fellow cancerians out there.

Annaram1 Mon 01-Jul-19 15:47:24

Happy Birthday Jones!!!
One of my best birthdays was when I was still working. I think it was my 50th, I often walked my dog in the nearby woods, and saw a notice there that said that the woodland Warden would take anybody who wanted to on a woodland walk. I phoned the number given and arranged to meet the Warden at the car park there. He took me on a lovely trip around the woods, pointing out such things as a squirrel's dray, badger's holt, various flowers etc. and told me all sorts of interesting things. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Not a lot of fuss is made by my family and I don't think my friends really remember me now. Perhaps they will when I turn 80, I will drop serious hints about it.

LizVck Mon 01-Jul-19 16:56:26

It's my birthday tomorrow and I will be spending a good part of it at the fracture clinic in our local hospital, I had a fall at the end of last month and badly broke my right ankle have spent the last 5 weeks hopping around the house using a zimmer frame as I am not allowed to put any weight on it. I won't hear from my daughter this year as she is on holiday and my 2 sons never send cards or make any contact at all.

GrauntyHelen Mon 01-Jul-19 17:17:43

Getting older/old is a privilege not everyone gets so Iam VERY happy to celebrate my birthday and always make a point of celebrating the birthdays of others too Think on

harrysgran Mon 01-Jul-19 17:41:20

I love to celebrate other people's birthdays but as for my own I much prefer to go about my day as normal I'm not a misery guts just don't like a fuss I have worked at the same place for 18years and although I put money in a collection for all my work colleagues I don't tell anyone when my birthday is

WOODMOUSE49 Mon 01-Jul-19 17:41:32

No fuss for me either. I'm 70 this year and all I want is a meal out with husband, daughter (if she can get to Cornwall from Warrington) and our dog. Hoping to meet up with 2 friends I have in Derbyshire (left 5 years ago) but will probably do it mid country late summer as birthday is on 30 December.

Annaram1 Mon 01-Jul-19 19:25:48

How many birthdays do we get in our lifetime? Maybe 70 or 80 and occasionally more. I think you should have 3 days of celebration, and if your birthday falls in the winter have 2 of those days in the summer, Celebrate with gusto!!!

maureen118 Mon 01-Jul-19 19:30:22

razzy .. my grandson' s birthday is same as yours .. I celebrate it 6 months earlier .. smile

maureen118 Mon 01-Jul-19 19:31:02

... or late!