Gransnet forums

Chat

Dogs. Advice please

(61 Posts)
Diane227 Tue 02-Jul-19 18:24:40

Most days we walk our three dogs at a local quarry. A lot of regulars go there so we have got to know quite a few dogs and their owners. Today ours were running about with a Saluki when a professional dog walker appeared with 7 dogs most off lead. We see this lady from time to time and have often wondered how she copes. Today our Lurcher ran over to her pack. He is completely friendly and just wanted to play. One of her dogs a cross collie by the look of it chased our lurcher and gave him a nasty bite on the back. The woman ignored it and walked off. Our dog needed vet treatment. Sedation, antibiotics and 4 stitches. He is sore and subdued. It cost 100 pounds in fees. Should I speak to this dog walker next time I see her ? Or just take the attitude dogs will be fog?

Onestepbeyond Wed 03-Jul-19 21:17:02

follow her home take pictures of the dog and the scene of the incident- write down all the facts , time and date it
photocopy vet bills -
Find out who the owner is and claim from their insurance- And if this person is a registered dog walker they should have insurance too
This will be a civil matter I should think,but call the police anyway and get the incident reordered-
No dog should be off the lead in a public place-

Good luck-

Eisy Wed 03-Jul-19 23:46:10

I am certain you can only walk 4 dogs max year law

Mebster Wed 03-Jul-19 23:54:19

Definitely say something. No way she should have dogs off lead if they've hurt others. Give her an opportunity to make it right but do not allow this to continue as humans and dogs will no doubt get hurt.

granny4hugs Thu 04-Jul-19 07:46:07

Walking 7 dogs is irresponsible but not as irresponsible as one house hold having 3.
I love pets of all descriptions but am heartily sick of not being able to walk 20 yards without having to sidestep the 'pile' and frankly - in this day and age - putting it in a plastic bag is actually much much worse (we wont go into the folk who then hang it on a bush!!)
Like all forms of consumerism, folk need to exercise - not their dogs but a bit more control.
I am sorry your dog got bitten. The woman should have apologised. That is not nice but I've been jumped on by muddy dogs while their owners smile indulgently on, snarled and snapped at while owners explain how 'friendly' their dogs are and I am scared to walk on my favorite local beach by myself because folk with the largest most out of control dogs seem to think that is their domain...

watermeadow Fri 05-Jul-19 17:42:54

A friend’s greyhound grabbed a little puppy and injured her. They paid the vet’s bill and have always muzzled their greyhound and kept him on a lead since then.
Whoever is in charge of a dog that bites must be informed and made to pay the bill. This will also encourage people to muzzle dangerous dogs.

sodapop Fri 05-Jul-19 19:55:08

Why do you think owning three dogs is irresponsible Granny4hugs. I don't follow your logic. Two of my three dogs are rescues, they were badly treated previously and now lead a happy life in the country. They are reasonably well trained, non agressive and give us a lot of love and pleasure. I fail to see how that is irresponsible.

nanny2507 Fri 05-Jul-19 20:53:26

I own 3 dogs..all off lead..none have ever bitten another dog that badly..worst has been ear pulling after being jumped on...however IF my dogs ever bit another dog that badly i would be mortified and I would insist on paying the vets bill and from there on it the dog in question would be muzzled. A lady once spoke to my female dog and she jumped up and made her light beige coat dirty. The dog immediately got put in the car (we had finished our walk) and i offered all my details to pay for the cleaning...very nicely she declined as she had encouraged my dog. I felt terrible

Anja Fri 05-Jul-19 21:56:30

sodapop all three of mine are rescues. Of course ours don’t leave a mess behind them but I feel sorry for those who live in such bad neighbourhoods where is is apparently the norm.

sodapop Sat 06-Jul-19 07:44:44

People just don't care do they Anja It's a big problem here in French towns where dog poo is all over the place. Our dogs are such a big part of our lives, I expect you get a lot of pleasure seeing yours happy and settled as we do.

Iam64 Sat 06-Jul-19 08:51:02

Dianne, there is good advice here and I support the suggestion that next time you see this woman, take a photograph of her vehicle, including the registration. Give the information to your local dog warden along with copies of your vet bill. Also give the information to your local community support officer they're the ones who tend to be asked to look into incidents like this.
I'm sorry but not surprised your dog was injured, just relieved the rest of her pack didn't join in the attack.

My local council has no limit on the number of dogs one person can walk. Our lovely park is becoming a no go area for 'ordinary' dog walkers as its dominated by 'professional' dog walkers. they arrive, open their van doors and let up to 7 dogs loose. Walks should always start calmly, on lead, no matter how many dogs you have with you. Dogs usually toilet soon into a walk, so as well as ensuring the dog knows you're in charge and its to walk well, you can pick up any deposits.
No one can control 7 dogs who don't live together, they'll form an unstable pack.
grannhy4hugs - why do you suggest these so called professional dog walkers are less irresponsible than households with 3 dogs. I currently have two, often we have our daughter's dog here, so I walk three. Our three are used to living, sharing together. Out on walks, recall is excellent, even the 12 month old pup races back with the older 2 if I call them.
I wish councils would get a grip, introduce by laws saying only 4 can be walked. Evidently, that's the limit set by Guide Dogs for their well trained, experienced workers.