Gransnet forums

Chat

In total panic

(193 Posts)
Anniebach Wed 03-Jul-19 08:57:22

Had awful shock Monday , this is not connected to My agoraphobia .

I moved to this bungalow two and half years ago. Very quiet
Cul de Sac. Only know the gentleman next door but one to speak to on telephone.

There is a woman living next door, never seen her, have often seen police and ambulance there and carers. I was advised to have no contact with the woman .

Monday afternoon a woman knocked my door, asked me If
I was alright my next door neighbour was worried about me, I was baffled and said there must be a mistake I was fine.
Then the woman came to the door, said I saw an ambulance here.

Last Thursday my spine locked, I couldn’t move, surgery sent ambulance, very embarrassing, two paramedics got me mobile. Having x ray today

Anyway this woman started talking about my daughter who died, said they were best friends, my daughter phoned her the night she died and was going to the woman’s house but went to the bridge instead, and said my son in law had been brutal to my daughter. I was shaking.

My daughter didn’t know her , certaintly didn’t phone her. I have my daughter’s mobile.

I have been told she has a drug problem and she played hell
with the people who use to live in my bungalow, disturbing
them at night, the woman said she would look after me !

No one in the Cul de Sac has anything to do with her, she never goes out.

I don’t lock my front door, always left it unlocked for my daughter. I know you will tell me t lock the door, I cannot

This all sounds hysterical but I am afraid of her .

Whitewavemark2 Fri 05-Jul-19 10:55:35

Yes annie you really were lucky to get it all done in such a short time.

I’m like gone and am confused over your neighbours, still hopefully you can make some friends now.

Bit of a storm in a tea cup if you think about it. Never mind.

When do you go for your xrays?

maddyone Fri 05-Jul-19 10:04:45

Annie, hope you’re feeling a little better this morning now things have fallen into place ???

Gonegirl Fri 05-Jul-19 09:48:20

Totally confused now. (person, neighbour, who lives where) But never mind.

Respect for organising a door chain, keybox and intercom, all in the space of three days. Well done.

Lessismore Fri 05-Jul-19 09:46:13

Who walks the dogs?

Anniebach Fri 05-Jul-19 09:09:03

Things have fallen into place. The person didn’t know who lived next door to her until she had a new visitor two weeks ago, the visitor was the person who came to my door with the neighbour.no one in the Cul de sac speaks to my neighbour. She has been advised! not to contact me again.

Panic over. Have ordered the intercom , the blessing is we have a by election 1st August and I won’t have to hobble to the front door when canvassers call.

Thank you all for your kindness and advice.

NfkDumpling Fri 05-Jul-19 07:37:46

Jools is right. This woman doesn’t realise how strong you are on the inside, she only sees someone who needs a buggy to get around so must be vulnerable and can be taken advantage of. I suspect she also sees your dogs as fluffy little things which won’t hurt a fly. But they too have teeth!

Blinko Fri 05-Jul-19 06:51:34

I've just caught up with this, Ab. So sorry to hear you've been distressed, but pleased that you're taking steps to resolve this troublesome issue, and also that other neighbours seem to have rallied round. That's all good.

As Elegran has said, those we love always have access to our hearts.

Wishing you well flowers

Johno Fri 05-Jul-19 05:52:17

"FEA "tactic (error)

Johno Fri 05-Jul-19 05:51:36

Lock the door, treat this as routine and not as a far tactic. People have problems when they do not feel in control - all types of people, strong people, weak people etc. It is a natural part of our psyche. By locking the door you have control and that does not mean you have changed your whole life its just a simple act of locking the door, like putting the kettle on. Always keep negative people out of your life, you owe them nothing. There is nothing wrong in being selfish in the context of keeping yourself as happy as possible, in control of your day to day life.

Jools761 Thu 04-Jul-19 23:17:11

Ok - what i’m about to say will have most of the nanny state up in arms but I have very personal experience of this - addicts (be they drug or alcohol dependent) are the most selfish of people until they decide to give up their addiction. They will use any means at their disposal to get their hands on whatever it is they’re addicted to. This woman is trying to make you a victim, probably so that through guilt you end up giving her money to feed her habit. You’re going to have to summon up all your courage and tell her to right off! Be very clear that you will not tolerate her cr*p and take the advice regarding security that other people have posted. She sees you as a possible victim - show her you’re not!!

Barmeyoldbat Thu 04-Jul-19 22:26:56

Annie, Annie, I should have said for the Council they are speedy. Sorry.

Anniebach Thu 04-Jul-19 21:54:45

Barmby the council never acts quickly , they know the person and will fit the key box tomorrow, that certainly is speedy for the council.

suziewoozie Thu 04-Jul-19 20:43:13

I agree Lessismore - in wanting to support anniebach there is no need to be so over the top about the neighbour who, as I understand it, has only come to her door once in two and a half years. That’s not to say that anniebach’s feelings are not totally understandable in her particular context but it’s quite simple to give advice and support to her without having to say such dreadful things ( one of which I see has been deleted) about someone who appears to have problems of her own.

Callistemon Thu 04-Jul-19 20:41:37

Elegran I think programming the key safe with a number special to both Anniebach and her daughter is a good idea and hopefully a step forward.
Your daughter will just know the number Anniebach and I'm sure she would want you to feel safe and secure in your home.

Barmeyoldbat Thu 04-Jul-19 20:24:03

Annie, we are all here for you and most of understand how upsetting this for you and something you really don't need. You now how some idea how you will approach this difficult situation, the council are coming very quickly to fit the chain and everyone is aware of what you are going through, just remember you have someone very special watching over you. Hope all goes well with the X-ray.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 04-Jul-19 20:11:05

Who takes the dogs out annie?

merlotgran Thu 04-Jul-19 20:03:23

I was about to ask about your dogs, Annie because I couldn't remember whether you still had two or just the one. I thought you re-homed the younger one but I must have been mistaken.

Barking dogs are the best deterrent. Even if they are really friendly, your neighbour doesn't need to know that.

annodomini Thu 04-Jul-19 19:57:31

No - it's quite usual to have to use a key to lock and unlock doors - my front and back doors work that way.

Lessismore Thu 04-Jul-19 19:21:52

weird and a complete nutter.....really?

Gonegirl Thu 04-Jul-19 19:11:11

No. You don't actually need a key to lock most front doors. Just push it shut.

25Avalon Thu 04-Jul-19 19:09:36

I am guessing if you shut your front door no one can get in without a key so you don't need to lock it if you don't feel you can. Your daughter wouldn't mind you know. Would probably tell you so if she were here. This has deeply disturbed you and is very weird insensitive behaviour on the neighbour's part - she sounds a complete nutter. It could be worth reporting to social services as it sounds as if she is in need of help although she is probably already known to the authorities.
You certainly need to keep your distance from her. You don't need anyone bringing back bad memories and upsetting you like this. we are all here for you.

Gonegirl Thu 04-Jul-19 18:02:48

Oh you you've got dogs! Let 'em out if she comes again.

Anniebach Thu 04-Jul-19 18:01:26

Thank you x

I cannot give a key to my younger daughter she lives a 5 hour drive away.

I have no need to ring the police, I am a police widow and there is someone at HQ whose job it is to support retired officers and officers widows.

The woman was not concerned about me, the ambulance crew had been with me five days before she came to my door.

I have a very strong safety chain fitted and my son in law who isn’t is going to fit an intercom , I will know if anyone is
Approaching my bungalow because my dogs bark .

I have asked the council to fit a key safe they will do so
tomorrow they fully understand why !

I cannot yet lock the door sorry, it has been left unlocked for ten years, I am not ready yet to lock it even though I know it’s sensible.

So much kindness, I am so grateful

Thank you x

Elegran Thu 04-Jul-19 17:13:53

Indeed. It shows how important it is to read previous posts before replying in haste - the whole conversation can be relevant to the situation. Just reading this opening post thoroughly reveals details which give a clue to how disturbing the encounter was, and the reasons for that.

Lessismore Thu 04-Jul-19 17:02:15

To be fair, new posters cannot always be up to speed with everything.