Gransnet forums

Chat

TV licence

(28 Posts)
Jane57 Wed 03-Jul-19 13:31:40

Is anyone else annoyed with the news today about BBC stars earning millions whilst they still scrap free TV licences?? I just don't see how they can justify it when people who are harder up are getting their licence taken away.

Surely there are other ways of making cuts without taking away free TV licences?

GabriellaG54 Thu 04-Jul-19 21:43:26

I can't disagree Lazigirl nor would I want to but surely your mother is entitled to extra benefits to pay for carers, incontinence pads and of course the winter fuel allowance. With respect, she shoukd be getting help with at least the carers and pads.
I do know that Thames Water reduces your bills by 50% if bills are above a certain amount and you have an illness or disability or children who are ill or disabled thus need to use more water than normal.
Perhaps your mother's water company has a similar scheme. It might be worth asking as she would be on their 'vulnerable' list anyway due to being older retired.
It might also be worthwhile asking if there are local grants in her area. Lots of benefactors leave money to be invested and distributed to worthwhile cases, either as ongoing assistance or a one off to make a particular purchase.
CAB will be able to help you find any in your DMs area.

Wishing you all the best.

GabriellaG54 Thu 04-Jul-19 21:44:26

shoukd should