Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Monday

(71 Posts)
12Michael Mon 08-Jul-19 06:23:19

Good Morning Everyone,
Its a clear blue sky at present in Brackley this morning.
Quiet day of small shop/housework maybe laundry .
Then watch tour de France, someone asked yesterday had been a completive cyclist the answer is yes.
I road mainly time trials , and caught the bug in 63 just prior to leaving school , we had a 2 lap of the 440 yard grass track , I finished 3rd.
When starting work , I looked into joining a club , which I did road but maybe with the right coaching have progressed , Have raced in spells , in RAF I raced in West Germany, Limburg area of Holland and in Switzerland.
came out of RAF but joined a local club, raced until 94 , the age factor although in 40`s slowing down.
Mick

Marydoll Mon 08-Jul-19 08:53:19

Urmstongran, my husband finds Soberano particularly effective against mosquitoes! grin

GabriellaG54 Mon 08-Jul-19 08:53:52

Talkjng about cycling, although my late father wasn't 'into' cycling he knew a man who was (Reg Harris) and he was gifted one of his track bikes which was passed onto one if my brothers and, because I'm the only sibling with sons, it was passed to my eldest and from him to his eldest and on it goes. It's been well looked after but not used.
One of the coaches of team GB in Manchester was interested in having it on display at the velodrome but my son was reluctant to 'lose' it.
Daft h'aporth/apeth (sic)

Mapleleaf Mon 08-Jul-19 08:55:16

Good morning everyone,
A pleasant morning here in South Yorkshire at the moment.
Going out for a leisurely breakfast shortly, followed by a mooch around a garden centre/farm shop.
Hope you all have a good Monday.

Anniebach Mon 08-Jul-19 08:55:59

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

Hope everyone has a good day x

GabriellaG54 Mon 08-Jul-19 08:57:35

Talkjng Talking if of blush

Gonegirl Mon 08-Jul-19 09:48:48

Gabriella are you sure Waitrose are not just cutting down on plastic? smile

Auntieflo Mon 08-Jul-19 09:50:59

Morning Michael, Annie and all. It’s nice to hear about your cycling Mick.
It’s sunny and slightly cooler here this morning. One load in the washing machine, and at least another two to follow. Exciting life here!
I shall try and visit a friend who has had a TKR and is not doing too well at the moment, but I will have to wait until DH returns from his lunch out with friends, so that I can use the car.
To all those feeling under par, hope you soon bet back to normal.
Have a good day one and all.

Auntieflo Mon 08-Jul-19 09:51:33

Gonegirl, exactly what I thought.

MiniMoon Mon 08-Jul-19 10:09:24

Morning all. You'll notice I didn't say good!
I spent a restless, sleepless night tossing and turning, and didn't sleep properly until after 03:54. Feeling very lethargic as a result.
I love watching "the tour" mick.
Kitty I was once at Wimbledon and was handed centre court tickets by someone who had to leave early, saw Arthur Ashe play, and Jimmy Connors.
Have a good day all.

Barmeyoldbat Mon 08-Jul-19 11:00:59

Good morning one and all, bright but over cast here in Somerset. Plan for today is to sort out The Court of Protection and I waiting a phone call from a solicitor as I have lost the will to live over doing it myself. I could be out doing something I enjoy. If I don't get the phone call in the next 30 mins then I am going to walk down our hill to Waitrose and the Lidls to get something for dinner tonight. Plan to watch the Tour de France later and I just loved the time trials yesterday.

Urmstongran Mon 08-Jul-19 11:01:33

But if Waitrose was cutting back on plastic surely they wouldn’t then have offered compensation to Gabriella but just explained their stance?

Annaram1 Mon 08-Jul-19 12:29:05

Ellan, don't you know about the Heimlich manoeuvre, for choking?

Legs55 Mon 08-Jul-19 12:34:28

Good afternoon all from very sunny but windy Devon, I'm late on here despite being up at 5. I've had a very busy morning due to setting off early tomorrow for a few days away.

Have a good day every-body, I shall be enjoying the garden this afternoonsunshine

Gonegirl Mon 08-Jul-19 13:07:06

Urmstongran I can't understand that either.

NannyJan53 Mon 08-Jul-19 13:08:27

Good afternoon everyone from a cloudy but very warm Black country. Not as warm as last week though, it was in the high 30's in Lindos.

Arrived home around 3am. Three loads of washing done, and food shopping later. Garden will need tackling as it is quite a jungle out there after 3 weeks left unattended.

Enjoy your afternoon everyone

Rufus2 Mon 08-Jul-19 13:58:47

Nankate; "Memory"
"Midnight; not a sound from the pavement...."
Remember that excellent DJ job you did last year? Not to be forgotten! grin Unfortunately GNHQ forgot this year; what did I do wrong? Cock-of-the-roost to feather duster just like that! Fortunately the UK Fifty Plus Forum remembered, so praise be to the Poms! grin
Another day older and deeper in debt. sad OoRoo

Notagranyet1234 Mon 08-Jul-19 14:02:07

Good afternoon all I'm another South Yorkshire resident. I'm just taking DPs out to the Post office then heading home to get ready for the late shift at work. I'm already shattered so not looking forward to it.

Barmeyoldbat Mon 08-Jul-19 14:05:01

Gab54 whenever I have bought breaded fish from Waitrose it has been in a cardboard box with no plastic. I have never had a problem with the result of buying it like this. Waitrose are trying to cut back on plastic, in our store you can bring in your own container to put our fish or meat in. Also going to an evening do hosted by them at the end of the end to discuss how much more they can do to cut down on plastic. Gab, in your mothers day our bit of fish would probably been just wrapped up in a piece of grease proof paper and you are still here.

NanKate Mon 08-Jul-19 15:27:16

Good afternoon Rufus.

I seem to remember vaguely that you said something not to my liking but I am too bloomin' old to remember what it was. So in the spirit of good relations between the UK and Oz I hope you have had a happy birthday with a few tinnies. All the best, Kate.

P.S. Please be on your good behaviour :-)

GabriellaG54 Mon 08-Jul-19 16:09:02

Gonegirl
Yes, I'm sure they are not omitting the inner heat sealed bag. They checked with the dept. which deals with that sort of thing.

GabriellaG54 Mon 08-Jul-19 16:18:31

Barmyoldbat
I buy it every week and it's always in a plastic inner as are their chunky fish fingers.
I was not pleased to tip out the contents onto the work surface only to have orange breadcrumbs cascade onto the floor.
Incidentally, I did tell them that the cardboard outer is far too big for two pieces of fish, and I was only going to use one piece so I had to use a Waitrose sandwich bag for the spare piece. Paper in freezers doesn't work.hmm

GabriellaG54 Mon 08-Jul-19 17:10:22

Gonegirl & Urmstongran
Yes, you'd think it would stop at an explanation but the person I spoke to was sure that it was a factory error, however, despite telling her politely that I did not want compensation, I received a plastic voucher in this morning's post (see pic).
I have also been informed that my local store will provide me with bags and stickers from the fresh fish counter so I can freeze the portion(s) I'm not going to eat. They will also give me another box of fish even after me telling them that a voucher arrived today.
Overkill...

gillybob Mon 08-Jul-19 17:17:27

Very generous of Waitrose . I emailed Yorkshire Tea to tell them that the entire box of 180 teabags were bust ( the bags were not sealed and the tea was loose) . They apologised profusely asked for the batch numbers etc. And sent me a box of 180 teabags as a direct replacement . Fair enough but not exactly falling over themselves in the generosity department .

Urmstongran Mon 08-Jul-19 17:23:13

Perhaps you are one of Waitrose’s best customers Gabriella! Or that the company just like to go above & beyond for customer satisfaction.
?

GabriellaG54 Mon 08-Jul-19 17:24:34

...and if you think that's overkill, Sainsbury's sent me a gift card last year after I returned a pair of pillowcases, washed but not ironed. I said they were not ideal material.
The letter stated that the gift card had £50 on it. Two days later I got another letter, this from the store in Liphook where I bought them with a £7 gift card inside.
Unbelievable.