Gransnet forums

Chat

Did anyone else collect these?

(61 Posts)
jiggle Tue 09-Jul-19 13:13:43

My granddaughter was chatting to me about how she is collecting Shopkins and asked whether I used to collect anything when I was a child. I did - Wade whimsies. I confess I hadn't thought about these in decades, but it's been lovely to remember them with her. I'm not sure how they would go down in these days of brightly coloured plastic, but we loved them

GrandmaKT Tue 09-Jul-19 18:31:59

I collected matchboxes and matchbooks. I still have suitcases full of them from the 60s and 70 in the lofts. Never knew what to do with them!

GabriellaG54 Tue 09-Jul-19 19:06:36

My mum collected Green Shield stamps but I've no idea what she bought with them.
I collected toys in boxes of Kelloggs. We were always exited to get to the bottom and see what we could add to our collection. I have the whole set of magic roundabout figures in each of the colours. I also have a set of NatWest pigs and still have one of the earliest toys that Kelloggs put into their boxes more than 65 years ago. It's a red, thick rubbery-plastic helicopter which dismantles into 5 separate pieces. The belly, then the two 'landing' wheels fit on top then the cockpit then the rotor blades fit onto a plug which goes through the whole craft and you turn it to fix in position.
Much better than any plastic nonsense you buy now.

GabriellaG54 Tue 09-Jul-19 19:20:16

GrandmaKT
You might like to thinknsbout selling them on eBay.
I saw some old pub tin serving trays with logos of long obsolete beers printed on them, some barely visible through all the scratches but believe me, several were actually sold for more than £1000, not withdrawn bids.
One man's trash...you get my gist.
I bought a square wooden ashtray with a bakelite parrot perched on one corner, for £3.20 about 5 years ago. Don't ask why...I'm not a smoker but bakelite was sort of popular that year and I bought to sell on.
It was bought a few weeks later, by a guy who, presumably, worked at a Kent airfield as that's where I posted it to and it attracted about 25 bids. He paid £82.51p. I checked on my account just now.
It's what it's worth to the buyer which is not always it's real value.

GabriellaG54 Tue 09-Jul-19 19:22:13

thinknsbout think about

GrandmaKT Tue 09-Jul-19 20:26:49

Thanks Gabriella, but I have looked on Ebay in the past and there seem to be many collections like mine going for a couple of quid!

Callistemon Tue 09-Jul-19 20:29:26

I'm the minimalist's nightmare.
Me too EV, although I do have good intentions
then remember with nostalgia some of the things my mother threw out …..

MissAdventure Tue 09-Jul-19 20:31:42

Yes, I collected whimsies, and had every one, I think.
They stayed at my mums when I left, but I'm not sure where they ended up when she died.

Minniemoo Tue 09-Jul-19 20:33:52

I still have all my Wade Whimsies. They got passed down to my children, then when they left home the ornaments stayed and I have them dotted over the house and even a few in the garden where my grandchildren have made a small fairy village

BlueBelle Tue 09-Jul-19 20:35:09

They don’t sell for anything on EBay I ve tried I have about 6 huge plastic tubs of matchboxes and books matches Grandma
I Collected stamps, matchboxes, postcards, souvenir pens, fossils Pop posters you name it I collected it ?

paddyann Tue 09-Jul-19 20:38:01

china trinket boxes , My Dad used to take me to "The Barras" in Glasgow to buy them from stalls and antique shops I gave them all to my daughter and my GD has them now ,I also collected jam pots, the decorative ones like houses and bee hives etc .They are still in the cupboard and come out if we have folk for breakfast ...lolAs an adult I collect CD's and cookery books and nice wines my OH collects whiskey/whisky

Greyduster Tue 09-Jul-19 20:51:55

As a child I collected all sorts of things - military buttons, cloth badges, foreign coins, fossils, stamps, cigarette cards, ‘interesting’ stones, marbles. Now, it is small silver items, Napoleonic military figures, and sea glass. All of which will go into the bin when I move to the great junk shop in the sky!

Greyduster Tue 09-Jul-19 20:59:47

It’s amazing how, if people see you have two or three of anything, they assume that you would like more. That’s how I ended up with thirty seven china bells which came as presents in dribs and drabs and are now in a box in the loft!

grannyqueenie Tue 09-Jul-19 21:21:59

And that greyduster is exactly how I managed to acquire over 60 owls, many of them given to me and rather “tacky”. With the exception of some favourite and more tasteful ones they graced the shelves of a London charity shop when we downsized to move north. But theres still plenty of other things left which I have no doubt my children will dispose of thoughtfully..... I wish, it’s more likely to be ruthlessly! ?

GrandmaKT Tue 09-Jul-19 21:45:42

Ditto for me with hedgehogs for some reason!!

MissAdventure Tue 09-Jul-19 21:57:39

My mum had a bathroom full of frogs for the same reason. grin

DanniRae Tue 09-Jul-19 22:07:49

Hi TerriBull - When I was at junior school we used to collect scraps and swap them exactly as you described! Did you go to school in Surrey by any chance?
I also used to collect foreign dolls and china piggy banks.
Now I collect china jugs.

jiggle Wed 10-Jul-19 12:06:55

I wish I knew what had happened to my whimsies!

callgirl1 Fri 12-Jul-19 23:31:50

I still have 15 Wades Whimsies, took them to the Antiques Roadshow when they came to town, was told they might fetch £1 each if I was lucky! I don`t want to sell them though, or I wouldn`t have bought them in the first place. I now collect Lilliput Lane houses, but am told that to keep their value I should also keep the boxes, but I don`t have the space, and don`t buy them to sell on anyway.

JackyB Fri 12-Jul-19 23:42:38

I also collected the Brooke Bond cards. I was always a bit OCD so I was always frustrated that I could never collect a whole set before they brought out the next lot.

I dabbled in stamps but gave up when I figured out that there, too, I would never be able to have them all!

Willow500 Sat 13-Jul-19 06:20:21

Beatles cards from bubble gum packets - we used to swap them at school. I also collected small glass animals - I remember making a frozen pond scene with a mirror, cotton wool and a glass swan when I was about 6 or 7.

Gollie badges from jam & marmalade.

3D pictures from Weetabix packets which fitted into the viewer my dad got me and the masks from the backs of Cornflake packets.

I still have the books of cigarette cards my dad collected - one is full of football players and another of butterflies and Mum collected movie stars. There is another of dogs which I used to love looking through as a kid. We did look to see if they were of any value as they are probably about 80 years old but no one wants them.

M0nica Sat 13-Jul-19 15:56:13

DH went to an auction sale today and bought about 20 Wade Whimsies for a couple of £s. We will put them in a box on our stall to sell on at £3, reductions for multiple buys and under 12s

boheminan Sat 13-Jul-19 16:48:03

Wade Whimsies? I'm trying to work out what they were/are. As a child I collected little china painted figurines, mostly Disney characters made by Wade. They came in pretty little round picture design 'hat boxes', with a wooden wall mount (shadowbox) to display them on. Are these Whimsies?

tidyskatemum Sat 13-Jul-19 17:15:58

My DD collected Polly Pockets. Last year we found some in the loft in a pink plastic Polly Pocket suitcase. DD put them on eBay and they went for £130! Apparently the case was the real rarity. It must have cost a couple of quid at the most 20 odd years ago.

Callistemon Sat 13-Jul-19 17:49:00

boheminan Wade Whimsies were tiny china models of animals. I can't remember if they came in sets or singly, at one time you could buy crackers with them in; I bought those crackers for my DC.

M0nica Sat 13-Jul-19 18:57:33

Yes, boheminan those were Wade Whimsies, that was the name for the whole genre, that started off being almost entirely tiny animals but expanded to include Disney characters and much more.Nearly all came in those little round boxes.