Gransnet forums

Chat

Did anyone else collect these?

(61 Posts)
jiggle Tue 09-Jul-19 13:13:43

My granddaughter was chatting to me about how she is collecting Shopkins and asked whether I used to collect anything when I was a child. I did - Wade whimsies. I confess I hadn't thought about these in decades, but it's been lovely to remember them with her. I'm not sure how they would go down in these days of brightly coloured plastic, but we loved them

Liz46 Sat 13-Jul-19 19:19:33

My Wade Whimsies went to the charity shop. Some of the rarer ones can be valuable but when I checked, I didn't have a valuable one.

boheminan Sat 13-Jul-19 19:20:22

Thanks Callistemon and * MOnica* (It's good to learn something new every day!)

Susangilley Sat 13-Jul-19 19:25:30

I collected Disney characters that stood on a plinth and you pushed in the base to make them move. Can’t remember what they were called!

Auntieflo Sat 13-Jul-19 19:25:56

M0nica, I’m not sure whether I can ask this on an open forum, but here goes; as you seem to have a knowledge about collectables and such. Please forgive my cheek.
May I ask what to do with a 1930’s tea trolley? It was my parent’s, and is glass and chrome, with round tubular, chrome sides, supporting two clear glass shelves. I have seen modern ones, in magazines, and wondered whether an original would be sought after ?

annodomini Sat 13-Jul-19 19:47:37

I don't think I was really a collector, but I know I had quite a lot of Whimsies including Lady and the Tramp among other Disney characters. I am sure my mother gave them away when I left home.

Tweedle24 Sat 13-Jul-19 19:53:19

I saved Whimsies too and had forgotten about them until I read this post.
I also made Airfix aircraft which were on my dressing table until my mother accidentally knocked a couple of them onto the floor where they broke. She was more upset than I because she knew what care I had taken making and painting them.

Lessismore Sat 13-Jul-19 20:29:18

It's an interesting idea isn't it.....swapping buttons ( which I remember) or collecting things.

They had value and interest and a tactile quality. How things have changed with the advent of the virtual world.

LightAmber Thu 18-Jul-19 23:09:27

I used to collect novelty erasers, if you heard at school that one of the shops had a hard to find one you begged parents to let you go to the shops after school to buy said treasure! Must have spent a fair few pounds on those, still have them somewhere in a large shoebox. smile

Lilypops Thu 18-Jul-19 23:14:13

I have a collection of the Tetley tea folk and the little houses they lived in, My granddaughters used to love playing with them , but they are too old for that now.

DanniRae Fri 19-Jul-19 08:41:51

LightAmber - my daughter used to collect novelty erasers but some of them had a sickly smell that I found unpleasant!