Gransnet forums

Chat

Summer?

(104 Posts)
MiniMoon Tue 09-Jul-19 18:28:52

When is the summer coming to Northumberland?
I ask because we are sitting here watching the Hampton Court flower show in catch up. It is bathed in beautiful warm sunshine and everyone is wearing their summer dresses, shorts and Sun hats.
As I look out of my windows here its overcast, raining and cool, Alexa tells me it's 13°c yet in London she says it's 24°c.
Why do we never have two summers the same?
Sorry about the moan, I'm just fed up.

Grandma70s Wed 10-Jul-19 06:26:06

It’s far too hot here (not far from Liverpool), very humid, has been for days. I hate every minute and cannot wait for autumn.

I’m grateful, though, that I don’t live in the London area where my sons are. It is regularly 5 degrees warmer there. My poor grandchildren were booked into Legoland Windsor on a day when it was 35C. They survived, but never was the log flume more welcome!

BradfordLass72 Wed 10-Jul-19 06:51:16

Minimoo have you considered getting a sunlamp?

I've heard they can help your mood as they mimic sunshine sunshine sunshine sunshine.

Meanwhile, some flowers to cheer you.

harrigran Wed 10-Jul-19 07:37:41

Here in the NE the weather never reaches the dizzy heights of the south. My heating is always on.
I was in France in the heatwave of 1990 and we had temperature of 45 degrees, it was hard to find anywhere cool as even the old stone farmhouse became unbearable.

Katyj Wed 10-Jul-19 07:38:09

Yes me too, fed up here in West Yorkshire.I can't help feeling envious of the sun in the south, I have a feeling were not going to get a summer and it's going to be a long winter confused

oldgaijin Wed 10-Jul-19 10:38:43

It's the same here in NE Scotland...still waiting for Summer and flaming June has been and gone. It's peeing with rain with thick haar and the heating has just come on. I'm wearing the same clothes I wore on November.

MiniMoon Wed 10-Jul-19 10:39:19

Today is looking just like yesterday, but without the ☔. It is a little warmer but we still have the wind. I hope the rain stays away today as I'm going to Knit & Natter this after noon and I walk there.
I'm beginning to think like you katyj, and I'm not looking forward to winter, which my husband predicts will be long and cold.

blondenana Wed 10-Jul-19 10:57:49

Dry but a bit chilly here, but not cold enough for the heating on,

Diane227 Wed 10-Jul-19 11:47:28

We also live in the North East. I agree it can be depressing at times. I have some lovely summer clothes which are hardly ever worn. We live near the coast and often have a covering of sea mist when its nice inland. I suppose we are just used to it. Its sun and cloud here at the moment. X

gillybob Wed 10-Jul-19 11:53:31

Oh Minimoon my DGD1 is in the Great Yorkshire Show (Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday) I would have loved to watch her but I have her siblings to look after. I know what you mean about the non summer here in the North . All the talk about global warming almost makes me laugh. They should try living here where we seemed trapped in a permanent Autumn.

Annaram1 Wed 10-Jul-19 11:58:36

I have just spent 2 weeks in Egypt where it was over 45 degrees. It was a lovely hot holiday. When I got back to Gatwick it was cool and raining, and my garden had gone wild in those 2 weeks. I thought, How lovely England is!

gillybob Wed 10-Jul-19 12:01:50

I think its probably very easy to appreciate the rain and cold if you have a holiday somewhere warm every once in a while . I long to swim in the sea, walk on warm sand wearing shorts and a tee shirt, eat outside on an evening..... aaaaahhh heaven.

Stansgran Wed 10-Jul-19 12:02:00

Sun is shining in Durham now but the house is cold.

gillybob Wed 10-Jul-19 12:04:19

It's grey here, a little warmer than usual but very damp and a severe weather warning in place for later. Summer? Don't make me laugh.

kircubbin2000 Wed 10-Jul-19 12:04:35

I still haven't worn any summer clothes and have the heating on for a bit most days.

gillybob Wed 10-Jul-19 12:08:09

I haven't even got mine down from the loft kircubbin . they did get a short outing last year but it looks like they will stay put this year.

leeds22 Wed 10-Jul-19 12:10:29

Haven't worn a summer dress this year here in North Yorkshire. Good job I haven't bought any new ones - I don't like the trendy midis anyway.

Craftycat Wed 10-Jul-19 12:15:28

I live in Surrey but am currently in Greece thinking how my poor garden is going to look after all this heat while we are away. I know my neighbour will water it but not as well as I would.
I remember leaving 2sons at home me with strict instructions to water pots for 2weeks. They were dried to a crisp when we got back. I was furious. Their response - we did do them Mum-we did them last night.
Great. Never mind the previous 13 nights

annep1 Wed 10-Jul-19 12:15:37

Have come home from the caravan (Newcastle County Down). May as well not have it. I don't want heat. Just a bit of cheerful sunshine.

BonnieBlooming Wed 10-Jul-19 12:55:06

Mostly grey here in N.Ireland and definitely not shorts weather . Torrential showers expected this afternoon - lovely!

olliebeak Wed 10-Jul-19 13:52:11

Oh dear - I hope that 'weather plume' is a bit exaggerated :-(. I really hate hot weather as it doesn't seem to do my High BP any good at all. I also struggle with bright sunshine due to my eyes being very light-sensitive .......................... I'll be found lying on the bed with blinds closed, windows open and the fan blowing on its highest setting.

Poppsbaggie Wed 10-Jul-19 14:11:36

I recently returned from a break Lochinver in the Scottish Highlands. Set off from London (24 degrees). Eight days in Lochinver, constant rain and near gale force winds, with a high of 13 degrees. Even had to light a fire on a few days it was so cold. Mind you, I don't enjoy temperatures in the 20's.

gillybob Wed 10-Jul-19 14:14:47

As I said upthread its okay to put up with low temperatures/bad weather if you can look forward to some relief from it, but to have it every day, day in day out, is depressing to say the least.

gillybob Wed 10-Jul-19 14:16:07

Meant to add its gone almost black here and torrential rain is on its way ! No doubt just in time for the school pick ups.

Overthehills Wed 10-Jul-19 14:18:40

I admit to envying you Annep1! Co Down was my home. I’m sorry you didn’t get good weather. Grey and thunderstorms forecast for me in NE of Scotland. I don’t mind, I don’t like the heat.

blondenana Wed 10-Jul-19 14:23:14

Suddnly warmer and sunnier here, washing out now
We usually get the Spanish plume after it leaves them, so whether African or Spanish i don't care either will be very welcome smile