Gransnet forums

Chat

Problem between friends

(56 Posts)
suziewoozie Tue 09-Jul-19 21:18:42

I’ve got caught up in a row between two sets of friends and I’d appreciate some advice as to how best to advise them. One set of friends let’s call them A , have a young child who, to be honest, is rather spoilt. He’s used to getting his own way and does rather tend to throw his toys out of his pushchair when he’s thwarted. It’s not helped by the fact that he eats a lot of junk food and is allowed to stay up late playing on his iPad. One of our other friends, let’s call them B, has been staying with them. Anyway, a couple of days ago, the youngster overheard B being quite blunt and critical about him and his behaviour. He is now throwing regular tantrums, being incredibly rude to B ( and has said horrible things about B’s mother) and has told his mother to send the ‘nasty stupid man’ home. He refuses to talk to him and just shouts rude words at him. What makes it worse is that only a month ago, the youngster had a wonderful holiday with family B who really gave him a great time. One might say they really rolled out the red carpet for him. Family B don’t want the behaviour of the child to spoil their special friendship which goes back years but aren’t sure what to do. Should B just go home and hope it will all blow over or should he and his family back home take a stand and tell his friends that he is not prepared to be spoken to and treated like that and risk the friendship being over? What would you do?

suziewoozie Wed 10-Jul-19 13:04:05

And sadly A has seen again that throwing a tantrum gets you your own way.

janeainsworth Wed 10-Jul-19 13:12:53

Indeed. But B had no choice really. He hadn’t done anything wrong but A’s reaction spoiled things for everyone else.
The trouble is, many of A’s extended family seem blind to his faults, don’t they?

Notsooldat75 Wed 10-Jul-19 13:28:06

O poor you! Horrible situation, but everyone is quite right, stay out of it, or their resolution could end up with them both turning on you.
And don’t be used as a “letterbox”, by that I mean, don’t repeat anything that either one says about the other to the other, whether you agree or not. Silence, in this case, is golden.
And if necessary, tell both that you’re not interested in their beef with each other, but you’d like to stay friends with both, if possible. Good luck!

EthelJ Wed 10-Jul-19 13:31:38

I would say it's not your business and you want to keep out of it.
For what it's worth I think both families are at fault but B should not have been gossiping about the child in his own home. I'm not surprised he lashed out. Its what children do when they are hurt.
No one knows what goes on in families maybe the child has special needs? I don't think it is for anyone to judge really

Minniemoo Wed 10-Jul-19 13:34:31

Actually this is quite interesting. Before we knew we were talking about Mr Trump, the advice was mainly to stay out of it. Maybe that's what we should all do. Lots of countries have leaders we're not fond of. There are countries where citizens are in fear for their life for having different opinion, different religion etc . Trump won't be here forever. Maybe we should be more like the Queen.

EthelJ Wed 10-Jul-19 13:37:45

Ah well now I've seen the update not sure the allegory quite works (although it's very clever) . In real life B was right to say what he did because that was his job. And A's child doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt that I would give a real child.

fizzers Wed 10-Jul-19 14:17:08

keep well out of it, let them sort it out themselves

Urmstongran Wed 10-Jul-19 14:22:34

I always read a thread right through before commenting. I love the fact that others don’t - they read the OP and go straight to ‘add comment’! Sometimes missing a point or two ...
?

Lancslass1 Wed 10-Jul-19 14:37:17

Are you actually the female in family B, Susie Woozie?
If not what has it to do with you.
Don’t get involved.

Urmstongran Wed 10-Jul-19 14:40:02

See what I mean?
Superb.
??

SirChenjin Wed 10-Jul-19 14:40:58

grin

The OP is an allegory for the trump/Diplomat incident!

SirChenjin Wed 10-Jul-19 14:42:57

Right on cue Urm grin

sharon103 Wed 10-Jul-19 14:49:35

Keep it zipped and let them sort it out. Both sets of parents could end up falling out with you if you get involved. Not your problem.

SirChenjin Wed 10-Jul-19 14:50:49

Argh!!!!

suziewoozie Wed 10-Jul-19 14:52:51

SirChenjin ?????

janeainsworth Wed 10-Jul-19 14:53:23

I think Mumsnet have an acronym for this situation don’t they?
RTFT
gringrin

suziewoozie Wed 10-Jul-19 14:54:55

Please Miss what does the ‘f’ stand for ?

janeainsworth Wed 10-Jul-19 15:03:00

The usualgrin

SirChenjin Wed 10-Jul-19 15:04:37

Flipping - what else?! grin

Peonyrose Wed 10-Jul-19 15:07:28

Was this supposed to be about Trump? Why?

suziewoozie Wed 10-Jul-19 15:13:30

Pronyrose - it was meant to be a joke although there was the serious underpinning point that Trump is a petulant naughty child

Esmerelda Wed 10-Jul-19 16:01:40

Amazing that people comment without reading the thread! I must say that at first I thought it was genuinely about "families" and wondered if you were the wife in the B couple, suzie. I am mightily impressed that Jane worked out the allegory (and embarrassed that I didn't).
However I would say in reply to EthelJ above that every other family that stays with the A's also says critical and derogatory things about the obnoxious child but he just doesn't get to hear them. And he's too stupid and pig-headed to listen to his "parents" when they warn him about this. ???

Esmerelda Wed 10-Jul-19 16:08:35

Meant to add that seeing this thread has made me wonder about another post on here about a 30-year friendship that's under threat ... it could so easily be about the same thing. I haven't actually read it through but must do so to find out as I don't want to upset the OP by assuming it is and making some flippant comment.

EthelJ Wed 10-Jul-19 16:10:49

esmerelda grin. I don't know any real children as terrible as child A who has no excuse at all for his terrible behaviour

quizqueen Wed 10-Jul-19 17:41:38

I think family B had already formed the opinion that they were not going to like child A under any circumstances which was actually rather childish behaviour because a) the two families had always close in the past b) it could cause a drifting apart of the two families which would put family B at the most disadvantage and c) that was a shame because half the people that child A met could get along with him.
Then child B starting gossiping in the background but his gossip reached the wrong ears and child A rightly didn't like what he heard so cut him off his party list. In reality, both children and their extended families need to get a grip because child A is going to be around for a long time.