Gransnet forums

Chat

Problem between friends

(56 Posts)
suziewoozie Tue 09-Jul-19 21:18:42

I’ve got caught up in a row between two sets of friends and I’d appreciate some advice as to how best to advise them. One set of friends let’s call them A , have a young child who, to be honest, is rather spoilt. He’s used to getting his own way and does rather tend to throw his toys out of his pushchair when he’s thwarted. It’s not helped by the fact that he eats a lot of junk food and is allowed to stay up late playing on his iPad. One of our other friends, let’s call them B, has been staying with them. Anyway, a couple of days ago, the youngster overheard B being quite blunt and critical about him and his behaviour. He is now throwing regular tantrums, being incredibly rude to B ( and has said horrible things about B’s mother) and has told his mother to send the ‘nasty stupid man’ home. He refuses to talk to him and just shouts rude words at him. What makes it worse is that only a month ago, the youngster had a wonderful holiday with family B who really gave him a great time. One might say they really rolled out the red carpet for him. Family B don’t want the behaviour of the child to spoil their special friendship which goes back years but aren’t sure what to do. Should B just go home and hope it will all blow over or should he and his family back home take a stand and tell his friends that he is not prepared to be spoken to and treated like that and risk the friendship being over? What would you do?

SirChenjin Wed 10-Jul-19 18:43:21

Only a few more years - otoh the friendship between the adults will outlast this particular brat’s most immature phase.

moggie57 Thu 11-Jul-19 22:17:23

whats it got to do with you.? but i would say to the child if i saw him. if you cant say anything nice , don't say anything at all....let them sort it out.. you could put a few health magazines on children around the house.

Johno Fri 12-Jul-19 07:18:18

Each to their own but I say: Do not get involved it is not any of your business. I am not saying you, therefore, must not care or have a view on it. We all do. My objective stance is one whereby the child would never be my concern in regard to what adults do or say. I believe in that old adage - I aint the child's pal, I am his parent or an adult with worldly experience of life. I just say that because for me I would never let the child dictate as this child is, by his tantrums.
I once told my daughter to make her child wait while she is on the phone (he constantly shouts for attention, he is 7) my daughter said "he is my child and I will handle him how i want".... thats it. I never say anything at all now. So why do it to a person who is not related - unless they ask for help.

janeainsworth Fri 12-Jul-19 08:46:54

Before anyone else comments, please RTFT ?

SirChenjin Fri 12-Jul-19 09:39:20

grin