Gransnet forums

Chat

Things children say [smile]

(139 Posts)
BradfordLass72 Thu 11-Jul-19 04:04:04

Reminiscing with a friend.
She sent her son (7) outside to watch Dad mending the car. When he came in Mum asked, 'Did Dad say what was wrong with it?'
'Yes,' said, the wee boy, 'some cake was stuck in there.'
Puzzled, she questioned her DH later. The boy had asked if the problem was serious and Dad had answered, 'No, son, it's a piece of cake.'

One of my sons, when he needed the lavatory would say, descriptively, 'My bottom's heavy.'

What's your offspring's droll or funny saying?

Apricity Thu 11-Jul-19 23:28:43

Recently my grandchildren were having a vigorous argument about whether wishes could come true. Worldy wise 9 year old grandson scoffed that of course they couldn't. Granddaughter aged 7 said they could and she had proof. When she was a baby she had wished for the best mummy in the world and that is what she got. Proud mum standing nearby just glowed. ?

arosebyanyothername Thu 11-Jul-19 22:54:01

Our DGD called the dining room the diamond room! We also had a “ballroom” (the utility room is off the kitchen and was used as a goal when playing indoor football with grandad) ??

annodomini Thu 11-Jul-19 22:36:41

DDS informed his puzzled parents that he'd just seen some 'eee-wees'. He could read the word but didn't know how to say 'ewes'.

Upwards of 70 years ago, my sister decided that the shred of peel in marmalade were called 'marmles'. We have called them by that name for all those years.

And finally - I'll stop now - my DGD was watching me intently as I massaged a surgical scar with bio oil. When I explained what I was doing, she gave me a stern look: 'Granny, oil is for cooking.'

Littleannie Thu 11-Jul-19 22:24:36

Standing together in the shower after swimming, my 6 year old granddaughter looked up at me with a very serious face and said "grandma, are you a boy or a girl?"

moggie57 Thu 11-Jul-19 22:20:28

my mum was in her small back garden .we was talking about her ashes after she died .she said put my ashes in the garden. my daughter age 5 later on said "why does nanny want her eyelashes buried in the garden"?.....

Deedaa Thu 11-Jul-19 22:12:03

When my ASD grandson was 6 he and his mother and brother came with me on the Gransnet outing to Chessington. At lunch time everyone was saying how very nice the food was, compared with the dried up sandwiches you sometimes get. He gazed in horror at the plates of food and said "I could have eaten dried up sandwiches"!

Wobbles Thu 11-Jul-19 21:56:40

I'm giggling reading this thread.
My DC came home from school one day and told me "We're not allowed to call people fat anymore Mummy, we have to say they are wide". He looked at me and said "You're very wide aren't you Mummy". Out the mouths of babes ?

NanaandGrampy Thu 11-Jul-19 21:34:31

At the zoo Grampy picked up Cooper aged 4 and said ‘ shall I pop you in with the Tiger?’

Cooper replied ‘ no Grampy Mummy would miss me’!

A small voice from behind said ‘ not for long’ ! Jackson does love him really lol

Aepgirl Thu 11-Jul-19 21:17:22

Blinko, my daughter, then about 4, called a boiled egg a banging egg. Pyjamas were padabadabs. My grandson said he’d seen a man walking with a handle. We later discovered that was a walking stick.

Urmstongran Thu 11-Jul-19 21:12:27

What a great thread Bradfordlass and thank you everyone for contributing. I’ve spent the last half hour chuckling away here - better than Comedy Gold!
?

Lovelifedance Thu 11-Jul-19 20:38:46

my 6 year old granddaughter has told me that she lives me ever since she learnt to speak ( yes, she is totally adorable!)
. She will begin by saying
Nanny
What is it darling
I love you
I always answer, and I love you too, very much.
This day I decided to change the conversation
Nanny
What is it darling
I love you
Why do you love me
Because you give me everything I ask for.
!!!!! ?

Boolya Thu 11-Jul-19 20:30:55

I have probably posted before, but my mum was mortified when I asked her if she wore a crinoline.

mancgirl Thu 11-Jul-19 19:56:59

When my son was 3, having a chat before he went to sleep, he said, I can't speak now mummy, my eyes are going to sleep without me. A friends daughter said her hand was fizzing when she had pins and needles. Very descriptive I thought! Beetroot is still known as rootbeet after my brother named it that.

Grandmama Thu 11-Jul-19 19:18:11

Back in about 2008 we watched a programme about Lindow man, found in a peat bog. The archaeologists named him Pete Marsh. DD2 was fascinated but wondered 'How do they know he was called Pete?'

We put rubbish in our 'Dubsin', have a 'Hole Man Cover' outside, clean with a 'vacoom cooner' and see 'Top Open buses' in town.

annodomini Thu 11-Jul-19 19:01:45

DGD2 informed her teacher that her daddy was on drugs. He was a drugs intelligence officer in the local Police.
When I was little a boiled egg was 'a egg in a box' as opposed to a poached egg which was out of its shell.

Grammaretto Thu 11-Jul-19 18:56:45

and that the equator was an imaginary lion - line- which circled the earth. I can see that lion now.
I love Trevor the pigeon best too. I'm still giggling and just told DH.

Rosina Thu 11-Jul-19 18:56:09

On reading out an official beach notice to our children that no swimming was allowed that day because there were strong currents, our small DS marched back into the hotel and announced loudly and importantly 'No swimming today - there are cherries in the sea'.

Grammaretto Thu 11-Jul-19 18:54:26

I told anybody who'd listen that I had empty tigers -impetigo - when I was small.

HiPpyChick57 Thu 11-Jul-19 18:44:32

Why is there not a like button on here? Honestly some of these are so funny.

My DD used to call a tomato sandwich a “pomato basamich”

Apparently my Df used to call beetroot “toot toot”

At the beach one day, about 15 years ago my 4yr old DN got a bit worried when my 18month old dd wandered a bit too far for his liking. He shouted at the top of his voice T- - -a... come back here THIS MINSTANT!!!

Another time not long after she had started school we got her two pets. A bunny and a little Westie puppy. She decided to announce this to all and sundry shouting from the top of the steps to anyone who would listen. “I’VE GOT A NEW BUNNY RABBIT AND A NEW PUPPY”! She paused for a second and then I nearly choked on my coffee when I heard her say ...”AND IVE GOT NITS”!!! ???‍♀️
I’d gotten rid of the nits in the morning lol. That’s why she was home from school ??‍♀️

Evie64 Thu 11-Jul-19 18:21:56

Absolutely loving this thread! Bringing back so many memories of things my children and my grandchild have said over the years. Thank you so much BradfordLass

sluttygran Thu 11-Jul-19 18:13:13

When DD was about three, we came home from a long walk and she quickly took off her little shoes.
“Ooh!” She said “My footsies gotta get their breath back!”

Septimia Thu 11-Jul-19 18:10:23

Some 35 years ago toddler DS noticed a punk, with the typical hairstyle which was coloured black and white.
"Look, look! There's a skunk!"

Evie64 Thu 11-Jul-19 18:09:27

When my youngest (named Jessica) was about 4 or 5, she was sat on the toilet for ages. She suddenly called out, "Mummy, mummy, come quick"! I rushed there thinking goodness what's happened? She pointed down the toilet pan to a rather large poo and said "Look, it's a J"! She was sooo proud that she had poo'ed the first letter of her name! grin

Evie64 Thu 11-Jul-19 18:03:54

When my eldest was 3 years old she said "Why is my "four head" called my forehead, I'm not four yet? After her birthday, she asked "when I'm five, will my forehead be called my five head"? Strange child.............. grin

skate Thu 11-Jul-19 17:43:32

What a lovely thread - so many to give me a laugh. I think my favourite is the pigeon called Trevor. I crease up every time I think about that one. When my son was little. I remember him sitting on the bottom step as I untied his shoes on a bitterly cold day. For some reason he had shorts on (I know, bad mummy, shorts on a freezing cold day) and he said, pointing at his legs "look, Mummy, all my feathers are standing up".