Gransnet forums

Chat

Things children say [smile]

(139 Posts)
BradfordLass72 Thu 11-Jul-19 04:04:04

Reminiscing with a friend.
She sent her son (7) outside to watch Dad mending the car. When he came in Mum asked, 'Did Dad say what was wrong with it?'
'Yes,' said, the wee boy, 'some cake was stuck in there.'
Puzzled, she questioned her DH later. The boy had asked if the problem was serious and Dad had answered, 'No, son, it's a piece of cake.'

One of my sons, when he needed the lavatory would say, descriptively, 'My bottom's heavy.'

What's your offspring's droll or funny saying?

Ohmother Thu 11-Jul-19 14:46:19

My nephew calls pickled onions tooooolaleeeese ?

Diggingdoris Thu 11-Jul-19 14:47:18

Reading these has made me smile and remember the day my daughter came home from school to ask for something to take in tomorrow as they were having a harvest vegetable service! When I mentioned it to the teacher she said many children over the years have called it that.

chrissyh Thu 11-Jul-19 15:33:25

When my son was about 6 he was playing with his toys when he said 'bloody thing'. I said where did you get that word from. He replied, out of my throat.

gilljack68 Thu 11-Jul-19 15:40:26

When my daughter was about 2 we were at my sons Christmas play in the church. When the vicar walked in all dressed in white robes with a beard my daughter piped up loudly " mam, is that Jesus". The whole church laughed and she was the star of the show.

Callistemon Thu 11-Jul-19 15:41:47

This thread is hilarious, thanks BradfordLass

I am going to go out in the garden and shout 'Trevor!' and see if any pigeons answer grin

Sashabel Thu 11-Jul-19 15:44:06

My 3 year old DGS was sitting on the sofa with his aunt going through the Playmobil catalogue... Aunt points to the horses and says "oooh I'd like those" and DGS points to the fire engine "well, I'd like that" he says. On the next page she points to another item "well, I think I'd like that one" and he then points to several different Playmobil sets saying "I'd like that one, and that one and that one too". She turn to him and says "that's an awful lot of Playmobil you want, so what do you have to be to get that much for your birthday?" and he turns to her and says without blinking....
"in a shop"

Mild Thu 11-Jul-19 16:08:35

My daughter always wore prettycoats under her dress!

Mild Thu 11-Jul-19 16:14:46

In scouts we encouraged the children to cook withoutequipment, using foil or cleaned sticks instead. We called this Backwoods Cooking. The scouts called it backwards cooking. I don't know who.is right.

Drell Thu 11-Jul-19 16:28:17

My daughter was explaining to her daughter, 3 a half year old Ruby that she would soon be going to pre school nursery soon. She later heard Ruby telling her brother..."I'm a bigger girl now so I'm going to big girl school and mummy's getting me a unicorn."

I think my daughter needs to explain the difference between a uniform and a unicorn. [Confused]

Grammaretto Thu 11-Jul-19 16:35:59

when I was born at home in the 1940s, my big sister aged 2 and a half was told where I'd come from -, mummy's tummy and all that. The first visitors arrived to see the new baby including another small child who asked where the baby had come from.
"The doctor brought her in his bag" was my big sister's reply!

LizaJane24 Thu 11-Jul-19 16:47:46

We still have a Tilly ( utility) room. My twins collectively had hang dressers for putting clothes on. Peg liners for hanging washing out. Armsleeves on dresses and in summer they liked the ones that had bunky out armsleeves.

Overthehills Thu 11-Jul-19 17:19:14

Lovely thread, BradfordLass, thankyou so much!
DD, aged about 6, asked me in a kind voice,” Did they have horses and carriages in the olden days when you were alive Mummy?”.
My DGD said the other day that she loved my soggy old arms.

Coco51 Thu 11-Jul-19 17:42:40

Little GD in bed with me for her regular sleepover looking at my (admittedly) droopy boobs and asking ‘What are they doing down there’

Also the nativity story : ‘The baby Jesa went to London with camels and guns, but there was only one baby not two like Mummy had’ (her twin brothers)

skate Thu 11-Jul-19 17:43:32

What a lovely thread - so many to give me a laugh. I think my favourite is the pigeon called Trevor. I crease up every time I think about that one. When my son was little. I remember him sitting on the bottom step as I untied his shoes on a bitterly cold day. For some reason he had shorts on (I know, bad mummy, shorts on a freezing cold day) and he said, pointing at his legs "look, Mummy, all my feathers are standing up".

Evie64 Thu 11-Jul-19 18:03:54

When my eldest was 3 years old she said "Why is my "four head" called my forehead, I'm not four yet? After her birthday, she asked "when I'm five, will my forehead be called my five head"? Strange child.............. grin

Evie64 Thu 11-Jul-19 18:09:27

When my youngest (named Jessica) was about 4 or 5, she was sat on the toilet for ages. She suddenly called out, "Mummy, mummy, come quick"! I rushed there thinking goodness what's happened? She pointed down the toilet pan to a rather large poo and said "Look, it's a J"! She was sooo proud that she had poo'ed the first letter of her name! grin

Septimia Thu 11-Jul-19 18:10:23

Some 35 years ago toddler DS noticed a punk, with the typical hairstyle which was coloured black and white.
"Look, look! There's a skunk!"

sluttygran Thu 11-Jul-19 18:13:13

When DD was about three, we came home from a long walk and she quickly took off her little shoes.
“Ooh!” She said “My footsies gotta get their breath back!”

Evie64 Thu 11-Jul-19 18:21:56

Absolutely loving this thread! Bringing back so many memories of things my children and my grandchild have said over the years. Thank you so much BradfordLass

HiPpyChick57 Thu 11-Jul-19 18:44:32

Why is there not a like button on here? Honestly some of these are so funny.

My DD used to call a tomato sandwich a “pomato basamich”

Apparently my Df used to call beetroot “toot toot”

At the beach one day, about 15 years ago my 4yr old DN got a bit worried when my 18month old dd wandered a bit too far for his liking. He shouted at the top of his voice T- - -a... come back here THIS MINSTANT!!!

Another time not long after she had started school we got her two pets. A bunny and a little Westie puppy. She decided to announce this to all and sundry shouting from the top of the steps to anyone who would listen. “I’VE GOT A NEW BUNNY RABBIT AND A NEW PUPPY”! She paused for a second and then I nearly choked on my coffee when I heard her say ...”AND IVE GOT NITS”!!! ???‍♀️
I’d gotten rid of the nits in the morning lol. That’s why she was home from school ??‍♀️

Grammaretto Thu 11-Jul-19 18:54:26

I told anybody who'd listen that I had empty tigers -impetigo - when I was small.

Rosina Thu 11-Jul-19 18:56:09

On reading out an official beach notice to our children that no swimming was allowed that day because there were strong currents, our small DS marched back into the hotel and announced loudly and importantly 'No swimming today - there are cherries in the sea'.

Grammaretto Thu 11-Jul-19 18:56:45

and that the equator was an imaginary lion - line- which circled the earth. I can see that lion now.
I love Trevor the pigeon best too. I'm still giggling and just told DH.

annodomini Thu 11-Jul-19 19:01:45

DGD2 informed her teacher that her daddy was on drugs. He was a drugs intelligence officer in the local Police.
When I was little a boiled egg was 'a egg in a box' as opposed to a poached egg which was out of its shell.

Grandmama Thu 11-Jul-19 19:18:11

Back in about 2008 we watched a programme about Lindow man, found in a peat bog. The archaeologists named him Pete Marsh. DD2 was fascinated but wondered 'How do they know he was called Pete?'

We put rubbish in our 'Dubsin', have a 'Hole Man Cover' outside, clean with a 'vacoom cooner' and see 'Top Open buses' in town.