Gransnet forums

Chat

Male cleaners in female public toilets

(58 Posts)
Urmstongran Sat 13-Jul-19 11:41:33

This seems to be more commonplace in the last few months, I’ve noticed. At the airport a sign will announce it is in progress. I’d rather wait a while.

Now in large chain coffee shops, leisure centres. It seems to be a ‘thing’ now. Kind of making a statement.

It makes me feel uncomfortable though. I bet the male cleaners feel awkward but it’ll be in their T&C of employment.

How do you feel about it? Is it just me?

KatyK Sat 13-Jul-19 14:37:55

We've just been to Brixham. My friend needed the loo urgently. The only public ones we could find were unisex. She was horrified. She went in and there was a man in there. She felt very uncomfortable.

Nannyfaraway Sat 13-Jul-19 14:54:51

Males cleaners in female toilets don't bother me. I also don't mind unisex toilets.
My husband and I were discussing this a few days ago. Saying it would have been much easier for him when he took our girls when they were children

Sara65 Sat 13-Jul-19 17:06:09

Katyk

I agree about Brixham, and a lot of other seaside towns! I always find a nice clean supermarket on the way!

Gonegirl Sat 13-Jul-19 17:15:25

Wouldn't bother me. My farts sound much like anyone else's. Would be glad to see any cleaner in there so I could choose one that's just been done.

Joyfulnanna Sat 13-Jul-19 17:29:28

Not at all bothered by men cleaning women's toilets. I feel sorry for the people who have to do this. It is an unpleasant task.

Joyfulnanna Sat 13-Jul-19 17:32:17

Unisex loos are a bad idea. It's bad enough using a single cubicle in a petrol station used by both sexes as they are more often than not spattered and smelly. Men need urinals

eazybee Sat 13-Jul-19 17:40:26

Doesn't bother me.
Do women clean men's toilets?

phoenix Sat 13-Jul-19 17:51:50

Beechnut at least he was washing his hands!

eazybee good point, bet there are loads of women who clean men's toilets, and get paid for it, unlike women who clean up after men in the home bathroom!

Now, an imaginary situation. Motorway service stations, high footfall, open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. They employ someone to clean the toilets/washrooms. Do they employ 2 people for each shift, one male, one female?

How do they advertise those jobs, without breaking discrimination law?

bikergran Sat 13-Jul-19 19:50:26

At the supermarket where I work...our staff toilets are cleaned by male and female cleaners. The do put a sign outside saying "male/female" cleaner in attendance.

clementine Sat 13-Jul-19 19:56:21

Wouldn't bother me at all. Most restaurants and cafe's now have one toilet for both male and female so I assume they are cleaned by both sexes as well .

Fennel Sun 14-Jul-19 09:34:30

That's my view too Lemon.
I'm glad someone does it, it must be one of the most demeaning jobs going. It's unpleasant enough cleaning your own toilets.

BlueSapphire Sun 14-Jul-19 09:36:33

Went to use the toilets in a museum in Stockholm recently, and was surprised to find them unisex. Didn't bother me although it felt a bit strange, but some people were quite worried about it.

Urmstongran Sun 14-Jul-19 09:49:08

I totally get the point of one toilet only shared by both sexes. Bit like any bathroom really.

It’s the ‘sharing’ in close proximity in loos with several cubicles I can’t relate to.

Must be because I was brought up with the ‘old’ ways.

henetha Sun 14-Jul-19 09:49:21

I'm not bothered. They're just earning a living.

Littleannie Sun 14-Jul-19 09:50:27

This reminds me of a holiday in Greece. The toilets I used had a very old man sitting inside the door. He solemnly handed me one sheet of toilet paper (his hands were filthy), and led me over to a cubicle. When I came out he was standing literally outside the door. He grabbed hold of my arm and pulled me to the washbasin, where he mimed hand washing. Ugh!

wildswan16 Sun 14-Jul-19 10:41:57

I presume there are female cleaners for male toilets - and at least us females have cubicles to hide our modesty.

I wouldn't mind unisex toilets as long as they had floor to ceiling doors and walls.

Sara65 Sun 14-Jul-19 10:51:29

When my eldest went to university, the hall of residence had unisex toilets and showers, I thought that was a bit unpleasant, but she didn’t seem concerned, I suppose you just get used to it.

Mossfarr Sun 14-Jul-19 11:02:33

I think the peeing at the side of the road is more common now because we have more 'foreigners' living in the UK.
Its just normal behaviour when travelling abroad. I can remember as a child travelling along French and German roads and going into fits of giggles every time I saw a man peeing at the roadside. It soon became so normal that I ignored it.
Male or female cleaners isn't an issue for me, just glad that ANY cleaning is being done!

stella1949 Sun 14-Jul-19 11:10:13

I don't like the idea of unisex toilets, but having a male cleaner doesn't bother me at all. The man is just doing his work.

Razzy Sun 14-Jul-19 12:08:58

I’d just be happy there was a cleaner! And as an advocate of equal rights, I’d be happy to see more men doing the job!

Sara65 Sun 14-Jul-19 12:22:05

We employ agency cleaners at work, the men are far more thorough than the women

Fennel Sun 14-Jul-19 17:11:37

That's interesting Sara. But I'm not surprised - my husband is much more particular about cleanliness than I am. Not sure why - maybe because he hasn't had to face so many dirty nappies etc.

gulligranny Sun 14-Jul-19 18:54:14

Don't mind which sex cleans the loos, but I really don't like unisex toilets. If there is only one loo on site, ok fair enough, but when you are in a place where there are several then I don't see why there can't be Men, Women and Gender Neutral, so there's a choice.

sharon103 Sun 14-Jul-19 19:07:48

I don't like public toilets at all. I don't like other people hearing me having a tinkle. I wait until someone flushes there's to muffle the sound. Anyone else or is it just me.

Sara65 Sun 14-Jul-19 19:11:25

I agree with you gulligranny, what’s the reasoning behind it? I went to take my little grandson into a unisex loo in a well known restaurant chain, the smell was enough to make you gag, we ran down to debenhams