Gransnet forums

Chat

Male cleaners in female public toilets

(58 Posts)
Urmstongran Sat 13-Jul-19 11:41:33

This seems to be more commonplace in the last few months, I’ve noticed. At the airport a sign will announce it is in progress. I’d rather wait a while.

Now in large chain coffee shops, leisure centres. It seems to be a ‘thing’ now. Kind of making a statement.

It makes me feel uncomfortable though. I bet the male cleaners feel awkward but it’ll be in their T&C of employment.

How do you feel about it? Is it just me?

janeainsworth Sun 14-Jul-19 19:24:14

sharon you might identify with this story about Marilyn Monroe

JackyB Sun 14-Jul-19 21:01:37

Doesn't bother me either - after all, when I'm in the loo, the door is closed.

Deedaa Sun 14-Jul-19 23:37:53

Surely we've had men cleaning female toilets for a long time now? As long as there is a sign to warn you I don't see a problem.

GabriellaG54 Mon 15-Jul-19 07:27:16

I'm commenting but I can't comment as I have never used public conveniences in shopping malls, on aircraft, trains or coaches, indeed anywhere since 1980 and that was in Lord Street Southport.
They were exemplary, pristine, with small proper hand towels for each visitor which were washed in a machine on the premises. You might get a cup of tea from the uniformed attendant and there were Lloyd loom cushioned basket chairs to sit in and comfy baby changing facilties, plus she would warm babies bottle in a pan of hot water on her 1 burner stove top.
Gleaming copper pipes and burnished brass taps...nothing else comes close.

GabriellaG54 Mon 15-Jul-19 07:28:27

babies baby's

Sara65 Mon 15-Jul-19 07:34:07

Gabriella

You must have an amazingly strong bladder!

GabriellaG54 Mon 15-Jul-19 10:05:01

I do...but then I don't intentionally 'hold it in' as that would be bad for my health. It's just how I am even though I drink plenty of water and juice. ??