Gransnet forums

Chat

Going somewhere nice?

(93 Posts)
Cabbie21 Sat 13-Jul-19 13:37:16

It really annoys me, when I tell someone I am about to go on holiday and they ask “ going anywhere nice?”
Of course I hope where I am going will be “ nice”!
I usually answer “ I hope so”, and get a mystified look.
Any other good answers?
I suspect they are being a bit snobbish and think certain places are “ nicer” than others.
I suppose it is less blunt than asking outright, Where are you going?

gillybob Sun 14-Jul-19 10:05:26

No disrespect KatyK but it’s so easy to say that when you have travelled . My sister was in Australia last year and enjoys telling me why I wouldn’t like it .

sodapop Sun 14-Jul-19 10:11:14

cabbie21 that would suit me down to the ground as well. No airport hassles, no arrangements to be made for animals apart from letting out the dogs. Perfick.

EllanVannin Sun 14-Jul-19 10:13:29

Years ago people went to stay in caravans by the sea and whoever you told were delighted to hear about your holiday and you were equally delighted to tell them.
The start of the caravan holidays led to those further afield as you motored to France and the holiday camps there, abroad ! And so it continued, Mrs Smith was going to Rhyl but Mrs Jones was off to France---again ( smirk ), we've all met them.

Urmstongran Sun 14-Jul-19 10:13:45

I think it’s just a conversational opener.

Better than being asked ‘so, what do you think about Brexit?’
❗️

BradfordLass72 Sun 14-Jul-19 10:20:16

I haven't had any sort of hollier (as Terry Wogan used to say) since the 90's...apart from 2 spells in hospital this February. I suppose a change is as good as a rest. smile Hahaha!

Other silly things people say

If I can do it, anyone can.
I told my children they can be anything they want.
Don’t I know you?
She can’t be dead, I only saw her last week
Am I in the right place?
I know what you’re thinking
I know what you’re going to say

And many more.
I have a lot of fun thinking up replies.

gillybob Sun 14-Jul-19 10:22:25

Oh yes EllanVannin the “one uppers”
Who have always have it bigger and better and for some strange reason have to tell you the cost too ! hmm

downtoearth Sun 14-Jul-19 10:39:08

Gilly I dont go on holiday either,my closest friend has several holidays a year always somewhere abroad...I feel so boring at my lack of travel,I hate the holiday question I havent had a holiday for 16 years through circumstances not of making ,to add insult to injury had a holiday booked and almost paid for a "dream" holiday for us, 3 weeks in Greece,then I found he was having an affair,spent all the money and left me after 16 years together,we should have been going this November....will never have the money to go now,cant afford even a day trip out

gillybob Sun 14-Jul-19 10:48:56

Oh I’m so very sorry downtoearth sad that must’ve been terrible for you .

We have lost a few holidays over the years we gave up bothering . So many booked and paid for and then “circumstances”
prevented us from going . Once we were even packed and ready to go the next day when our (then) biggest customer went bust owing us £1000’s I didn’t know how I would even pay the lads wages or even my mortgage so going on holiday was out if the question ! Another time DH took very poorly and was admitted to hospital and we cried together watching “our plane” fly over the Freeman Hospital in Newcastle .

I know jealousy is a horrible emotion but I can’t help but envy those who just choose a holiday and actually go without a worry .

I’ve given up now although I am trying to wangle a couple of days off next week to go down to the Tatton Park flower show . Not exactly a holiday but a change of scenery and away from “that god awful place” . We shall see . hmm

Pantglas1 Sun 14-Jul-19 10:55:25

I’ve mentioned my childhood holidays on grandparents farm on another thread and it is only recently that I realised how fortunate we were when you consider that people pay for farm holidays these days.

I have travelled a lot, not necessarily 5 star, and have really roughed it as well but less so now that we’re older. I think I need a bit of comfort.

I don’t really do other peoples holidays either. You know, when they say ‘what...you went to ???? and didn’t go to ???? You didn’t see the ????’ I’m happy to share any tips but ONLY if asked.

Gizzy48 Sun 14-Jul-19 11:10:42

I'm quite sure they just mean somewhere they would also find nice. And although I have always thought it was an unintentionally funny question, as I teach piano to children, I realise they don't always have a say in the matter. So I invent the dialogue for them.

So no offence meant to the city in question, but it's hardly a holiday resort and it's possible to say the name in a way to make it sound really grim:

"No, we're going to Birmingham. My parents have always wanted to go to Birmingham, so we're going to Birmingham"

Did this with a 4yo girl yesterday, who giggled a lot. They're actually going to Minorca, but I told her when they get off the plane to be sure to ask Mummy and Daddy "are we in Birmingham now?" (they said she had actually been to Brum once and quite enjoyed it). I look forward to next term asking her how Birmingham was!

NotSpaghetti Sun 14-Jul-19 11:25:56

I don't think it's snobbish - it's intended, I think, as a harmless conversation opener. Unlike some other Gransnetters, I think there is NO thought behind it!

Esmerelda Sun 14-Jul-19 11:55:30

I'd be tempted to give them a beaming smile and say, "No, Wormwood Scrubbs" ... then watch their expression closely to see how long it took for the penny to drop.

Razzy Sun 14-Jul-19 12:04:29

I normally ask “are you going away?” But I think people say “going anywhere nice?” as in are you going away or staying home or are you visiting relatives/ doing something your OH wants to do but you don’t.

Nanny41 Sun 14-Jul-19 12:21:15

I have to laugh when I am in the UK, we have a house there, and whenever I am in a taxi going to the station to take me to the Airport the drivers always ask "going anywhere nice" my answer is I am going home, so I suppose it is nice.

MawBroonsback Sun 14-Jul-19 12:32:37

I think it is really picky to find fault with this.

“Are you going on holiday? “ Might be seen as a bit too general depending on the circumstances and “Where are you going? “ risks sounding nosey.
Let’s not choke off friendly attempts at conversation in our everyday life. You can always say No if you really want to end the conversation there , or have an alternative short answer ready if you value your privacy that much.

MawBroonsback Sun 14-Jul-19 12:34:29

I realise on rereading that my post was more in reply to the friendly hairdresser/taxi driver.
As for OP , I think it is just meant to be a less inquisitorial alternative to “Where?”

BusterTank Sun 14-Jul-19 12:42:42

I think your over thinking things , it's just a term most people would use .

Minniemoo Sun 14-Jul-19 12:53:34

Crikey, I say that all the time. Never would have dreamt it would have caused offence or upset.

gillybob Sun 14-Jul-19 13:01:34

It doesn’t cause offence or upset at all MinnieMoo I just feel silly answering “no, I’m not” it’s a bit of a conversation killer . I’ve recently changed hairdressers to one of those back street, old ladies in curlers type of place and I love it . No need to pretend to be something I’m not and no bragging about exotic holidays / house prices etc that you get in some of the “salons” . The 2 ladies who own the salon are hilarious. No airs and graces, no dressing up no frills . Suits me just fine .

Victormeldrew1 Sun 14-Jul-19 13:08:06

Cabbie21 it happened to me a few weeks ago I was devestated I had pictures of my children and a memory card with videos of them as a baby I stupidly thought it would be safe in my purse how wrong was I still makes me cry now thinking about it

GrannyAnnie2010 Sun 14-Jul-19 13:26:39

Instead of saying "I'm off on holiday next week" only to get uppity with their response question, next time just spit it out and say "I'm off to Bognor next week", so then that way they won't ask you your annoying question.

EllanVannin Sun 14-Jul-19 13:31:53

Good for you gillybob-----it's known as down to earth. Fabulous when you feel at ease.

Googes41 Sun 14-Jul-19 13:42:52

Annoying sayings?
Well it is what it is.
Seems to used for all eventualities.

Beammeupscottie Sun 14-Jul-19 13:48:12

Nowhere is as nice as they imagine. We have been robbed in Barcelona; been robbed in Delhi; been sick in Katmandu and Nepal; lost in New York; ill in Kenya and verbally abused in Bali - I could go on. So when the hairdresser asks me now I say "Dorset" and thank God.

Callistemon Sun 14-Jul-19 13:49:20

My hairdresser is always going off somewhere nice - in fact I can never get an appointment with him.
Does that mean he charges too much? hmm